• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple acquired mind-blowing 3D mapping company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Satyamdas said:
But when it debuts on the iPhone 6, I will still laugh when it gets yanked away as soon as the iPhone 6S rolls around.
Name one feature that was ever available on an iPhone and got removed when the next iteration came out.

Go!

Satyamdas

Banned
RubxQub said:
Name one feature that was ever available on an iPhone and got removed when the next iteration came out.

Go!
Does Siri not count because it was an "app" and not a "feature"?? Clever girl!

kehs

Banned
RubxQub said:

Go!

It's kinda hard to remove features from an OS with no features.

e: actually not, they killed the 3g toggle, didn't they?

RubxQub

I don't even know why I encourage you guys. :lol

RubxQub

Marty Chinn said:
Let's not forget they removed the lock rotation toggle on the iPad at one point which caused an uproar.
Let's not forget that nothing that's been mentioned is a valid answer to my question.

kehs

Banned
RubxQub said:
Let's not forget that nothing that's been mentioned is a valid answer to my question.

3g toggle doesn't count?

I guess you're gonna have to release your valid answer requirements list.

Then again, that's more a deficiency of hardware rather than software, but at least Apple gets more monies that way. That's gotta count for something right?

RubxQub

Copernicus said:
3g toggle doesn't count?

I guess you're gonna have to release your valid answer requirements list.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and Google doesn't seem to either.

The requirement is simple: There has never been a feature yanked from an Apple iOS device as a result of a newer model.

kehs

Banned
20111015-11syiqan1e8ijfhiiu1rtp3frx.jpg

But I just realized you're talking about from already released devicesl.

I imagine my iphone 4s will have even worse battery life with this maps application, also phone will heat up to the temperature of the sun while using this App. Can't wait!

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Copernicus said:
e: actually not, they killed the 3g toggle, didn't they?

No they didn't. Not if you upgraded your phone to iOS5. I think because of the way the physical antenna of the 4S was created, you can't just turn off the 3G without turning off all data.

Copernicus said:
Then again, that's more a deficiency of hardware rather than software, but at least Apple gets more monies that way. That's gotta count for something right?

How does Apple get more money this way?

Marty Chinn said:
Let's not forget they removed the lock rotation toggle on the iPad at one point which caused an uproar.
No. They moved it from a physical switch to a software button. But i think you can re-assign the switch since one of the 4.0 versions.

kehs

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
How does Apple get more money this way?

Not directly, but that change to the antenna is a result of having a single model for all carriers which means less costs.

notworksafe

No way dude! That doesn't count because it is an app and not a "feature" of iOS! Curse you Rubx and your mastery of technicalities!!
4crkD.gif
Oh whatever. It was a very useful iPhone exclusive app that got removed only because of the new model.

Really no reason for it either. The Siri was very limited compared to the 4S version, though I did use it a lot.

Particle Physicist

Copernicus said:
Not directly, but that change to the antenna is a result of having a single model for all carriers which means less costs.

Your reasoning is idiotic. Sorry. Sounds almost conspiracy-ish.

How dare they reduce costs?

RubxQub said:
I have no idea what you're talking about, and Google doesn't seem to either.

The requirement is simple: There has never been a feature yanked from an Apple iOS device as a result of a newer model.

?????

XPIVp.png

kehs

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
Your reasoning is idiotic. Sorry. Sounds almost conspiracy-ish.

How dare they reduce costs?

What?

One of the downsides of going to a single antenna and single model is that users won't be able to toggle of 3g data.

conspiracy? lol

Particle Physicist

Copernicus said:
What?

One of the downsides of going to a single antenna and single model is that users won't be able to toggle of 3g data.

conspiracy? lol

The whole 'more money for Apple!' crap. Users also get a much better antenna than the previous model. There are positives and negatives for any hardware/software design change... but turning this into a 'look at all the features Apple killed just so they can make more money' thing is absolutely retarded.

FYI, since I've left the data toggle on, I have not noticed any major differences in battery life. In fact, battery life has been absolutely amazing with this thing.

Particle Physicist

Jamesfrom818 said:

Once again, that feature was never removed from the older devices. That is what this argument has been about. People said that once iOS6 and the new iPhone will be released, some features will be removed from the older phones. 3G toggle is gone ONLY in the 4S and it is because of the physical hardware antenna design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom