• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

"Far superior"...what could they add that would make it far superior in just a year? More battery life wouldn't matter much unless they increased it from 18 hours to 42 hours. More sensors or built-in GPS, only really useful for fitness enthusiasts. CPU speed doesn't matter, since most apps run on the iPhone and use the watch for display. For size, it's already pretty small and thin. A higher screen resolution wouldn't really do much except make battery life worse.

Well, every second gen apple product is usually leagues better than the first iteration. iphone, ipad, macbook air... they usually hit their stride in the second model. I don't know what they'll do, but the second model will be better.

I'm starting to lean towards this as well.

Only thing I'm still deciding on is black or silver for the sport.

Fliesen

Well, every second gen apple product is usually leagues better than the first iteration. iphone, ipad, macbook air... they usually hit their stride in the second model. I don't know what they'll do, but the second model will be better.

do you consider the iPhone 3G a 2nd gen model? or is the 3GS the real 2nd iteration to the iPhone, whereas the 3G was just a revision with added 3G functionality?

since the AppleWatch is a device that does far less computing than the devices you've named, i don't think the difference is going to be as stark. We'll see how that changes when native apps will be possible in 2016, but even then, i assume it's going to be better for battery life to offload the computations to your phone.

Since i even use my phone for running, i can barely think of a usecase where i would be wearing the AppleWatch but not have my iPhone nearby, i don't think gen 2 should cause as much "first gen adopters remorse" as it did with the iPad 1 or the first Macbook Air.

As with all Apple devices, though, if you take good care of it, you can easily sell it for 250$ when the gen 2 is released and essentially only have paid 100$ for being on the AppleWatch train right from the start.

mf.luder

Looking forward to trying this on on Friday. I'm on the road from Niagara Falls to Kingston and will have multiple stores in between to potentially stop at!

SuperPac

https://instagram.com/p/1MNHLQK2ny/

Retail packaging? Seen on Macrumors forum

attachment.php

Maybe it's just because I haven't used it myself, but the activity chart data looks terribly cluttered and confusing. It looks a lot worse than other fitness apps I've used before and doesn't look easy to jump into and instantly know what everything means and signifies.

rezuth

C'mon guys it's not rocket science. Obviously Apple would offer leather/metal straps with matching finish and/or a gold colored version of the Sport if the iWatch SS and Edition didn't exist. I'm not saying that I would buy a gold colored iWatch but it at least looks better than the grey.

Lets play this silly game of yours. So lets pretend the Apple Watch wasn't a fashion item since that's what you're getting at. It wouldn't have come in an array of colors but it would have come in one like Apple always does when they present a whole new device category. Maybe a few years down the road we would've seen some new colors but right off the bat? No way man.

subrock

Damn, now I'm getting thirsty. My plan is to start by trying to buy a black sport, and I'll go to stainless with leather if it sells out in seconds (which I'm almost certain it will)

:/

I have been pretty torn on this for awhile. My thinking for a long time after losing my Nike+ Fuelband was to wait for the apple watch.

Then I decided I would just go with the sport, but I haven't been truly sold on it because of the price and I just don't trust the materials. I really think the regular Apple watch with the steel and sapphire is the way to go.

So I think I'm going to get the basic applewatch steel version, but I also loved the modern buckle. Of course the modern buckle doesn't come in 42mm.. :/

Wish I could get the 42mm Modern buckle in midnight blue. At this point I'm probably just going to buy the standard Apple watch with the sport band and hopefully be able to get something similar to the navy blue modern buckle through a third party or apple will have more bands I will want to upgrade to later.

Going to wait to go try it on first before ordering of course. Maybe the 38mm will be fine, but I think I'm going to prefer the 42mm size.

Blackhead

Redarse
If your phone is off in the theatre like you're supposed to have it, you'll get nothing from the watch. Problem solved.
Some more shots of the iPhone activity app with data:
Does anyone really turn off their phones in the theater? iirc the warning says to put it on silent. There's no way I'm turning off an iPhone and now Apple Watch; it's bad enough that you have input full password after restarting an iPhone but add the Apple watch too and it'd be definite pain... I also think there will be some useful notifications/glances developed for use in an theater e.g. Runpee would be perfect for a smartwatch

Is the iPhone getting the steps/stand feature too? I wonder how that works with the Apple watch in the movie theater; won't the Apple watch tap the wearee reminding them to walk around a bit after sitting for an hour?

I see colors and options expanding in the future.
Perhaps titanium body and bracelet for ultra-lightweight metal feel?
Or 100% ceramic too? That would work well in various colors.

EDIT: I just don't get what you're putting out Greyface.
The options seem pretty fine as is to me. Even if the sport is "ugly". I really don't know either way until I see it in the flesh.
I've never seen aluminum watches before, I'm just imagining the phone's bodies in watch form. Seems ok for a workout/sport watch.
I'd prefer stainless easily though.

Hell, I can see the sport coming out in a ton of colors like the old iPods in the future.
Anyone who's salty about the Edition are just jelly they can't have one.
I was chatting with a friend after the iPhone event and she had immediately chosen thegold and white Apple Watch as the one to buy (it matches her phone duh). But that was before it was revealed that it was solid gold and would cost in the 'thousands of dollars'. She's definitely salty lol

On the other hand Marco Arment can easily afford an Apple Watch Edition yet insists that he'll never buy one and even thinks it'll only be a one year phenomenon that Apple will discontinue it by the next generation *shrug*

Lets play this silly game of yours. So lets pretend the Apple Watch wasn't a fashion item since that's what you're getting at. It wouldn't have come in an array of colors but it would have come in one like Apple always does when they present a whole new device category. Maybe a few years down the road we would've seen some new colors but right off the bat? No way man.

Lol, wut?

Ugh. We already ha e a huge problem with light pollution in theatres when people check their phones and send texts. If smart watches get popular I can see them becoming an issue at the movies.

Does anyone really turn off their phones in the theater? iirc the warning says to put it on silent. There's no way I'm turning off an iPhone and now Apple Watch; it's bad enough that you have input full password after restarting an iPhone but add the Apple watch too and it'd be definite pain... I also think there will be some useful notifications/glances developed for use in an theater e.g.

Crazy. I just put my phone on either DND or Airplane mode. No reason to fully turn it off. Though I do turn the brightness all the way down.

Epix

Ugh. We already ha e a huge problem with light pollution in theatres when people check their phones and send texts. If smart watches get popular I can see them becoming an issue at the movies.

With the watch being OLED hopefully this isn't too much of an issue.

Appleman

Do we know if it lights up whether you raise your wrist or not?

kaskade

Seeing that packaging makes it seem so much more real. I can't wait. Staying up until 3 am thursday night isn't much fun though.

subrock

That's why Apple has done notifications correctly. Just a tap on the wrist. No lift, no light.

gsrjedi

Won't be getting one at launch since I'm going to Star Wars Celebration next week, but next month I'll be buying a black Sport. I'd love the black stainless model, but it's far too pricey. Even the regular stainless ones are a bit much for me right now for a 1st gen product. When I spend that kind of money, I want to make sure it'll last me for a couple cycles.

Terrell

Does anyone really turn off their phones in the theater? iirc the warning says to put it on silent. There's no way I'm turning off an iPhone and now Apple Watch; it's bad enough that you have input full password after restarting an iPhone but add the Apple watch too and it'd be definite pain... I also think there will be some useful notifications/glances developed for use in an theater e.g. Runpee would be perfect for a smartwatch

At least in all the theaters I've been in for the past 5 years, they make it very clear to power your phone down completely. They even offer visual aids to this effect in some places. Either it's different outside of Canada or you're not paying attention.
All it takes is a silent switch to be accidentally flicked in a pocket or to have the pocketed phone against a plastic armrest when the vibrate goes off and you become "that asshole".

If you have powered down your phone, the watch has no notifications being pushed to it and if you're not raising your wrist, there's no need to turn the watch off, as well, since notifications are only seen when you raise your wrist.

But like with theatre cell phone policy, we won't see how this turns out until there's more smartwatches in the wild. Obviously there's not enough currently sold for this to be an addressable issue now.

I am having this dilemma as well. I think the Silver is a bit cheaper-looking but I don't know if I want a Black on Black watch on my hand. Hmm.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. It's either going to be the black one, or silver with blue strap for me. On that note, could someone please help clear up my confusion on these watch bands. Are they compatible across the three different models, or can sport bands only be used on sport models? I'm already seeing a ton of 3rd party bands on Amazon, and would like to make sure they're compatible before ordering.

riotous

Banned
But that was before it was revealed that it was solid gold and would cost in the 'thousands of dollars'. She's definitely salty lol

My wife had the same reaction.

I think not having a "gold colored" affordable Apple Watch was a huge mistake.

Maybe check out this site to see it with all the different bands.

http://mixyourwatch.com

The dark aluminum only comes with a black band though.

Do we have any pricing or even available info on getting extra bands from Apple?

btkadams

My wife had the same reaction.

I think not having a "gold colored" affordable Apple Watch was a huge mistake.

The dark aluminum only comes with a black band though.

Do we have any pricing or even available info on getting extra bands from Apple?
The prices are on the Apple Store website (prices too). You'll be able to buy them for a dark aluminum watch.

Koodo

Banned
The lust I have right now for a black aluminum w/ white sport band.

I am going to the store and if it feels right on my wrist, I won't be able to resist.

RoKKeR

Thanks for the site suggestion. Unfortunately it showed me that mixing the Sport Black with other, nicer bands just doesn't look great and it makes me want the Steel version more haha. I just think it looks so much nicer with the silver steel finish and it goes well with almost any other band.

Maybe I just need to cool my hype jets a bit and decide whether or not it's really something I want to pick up. I'd rather not grab the Black Sport and be disappointed I didn't shell out a bit extra for the Steel.

What this all really tells me though is that I need to go see them in person at a store. Will definitely be on my list of things to do once I get back home for the summer.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
did this person set it up backwards? why would the watch/watch-holder rub up against that side like that?
Looks like it sits in that divot on its buttonless side in the of so when you open it you are presented with the strap in a circle and the digital crown and side button.

So not backwards, but not "right" either.

Majine

Banned
I like the look of the classic buckle, but I also prefer the Sport watch body. Shame they don't have them combined. I guess you could just buy the band later...

Enjoy the pre-order madness coming up, people. I'm in a tier 2 country so will sadly wait enviously.

SuperPac

Is the iPhone getting the steps/stand feature too? I wonder how that works with the Apple watch in the movie theater; won't the Apple watch tap the wearee reminding them to walk around a bit after sitting for an hour?

I *believe* you can set your phone into Do Not Disturb from the watch (similar to the Airplane mode mirroring) - that's all I ever do in a movie theater. I put the phone on vibrate and turn on DND. So there's no restarting necessary there.

Can't say for sure of course, but if the Watch is on DND I doubt it'll still tap the wearer to stand up.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Seeing that packaging makes it seem so much more real. I can't wait. Staying up until 3 am thursday night isn't much fun though.

I work an overnight shift, so this isn't a problem. I may just make an appointment at the local Apple store to try it on first, though- my mom thinks that it would be better to do so then just blind buying it online and hoping for the best.

They're going to charge tax anyways, so might as well try before I reserve.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Gotta wake up at 10 am to preorder this on Friday (Fri-Sat is the weekend in Saudi). I initially was dead set on going with the space grey 42mm Sport just to try it out and upgrade to what I really want in the next cycle. But the more I look into it, it doesn't seem there will be any one feature that'll make me want to jump up and get the 2nd gen right away. Having the computation being handled phone-side makes me think this will be the first Apple gen 1 product that won't be useless and unsupported 2-3 years in. So I've decided to go with the 42mm Watch model with the black sport band. And yes, that Apple hype is an influencing factor in my decision. In an ideal world, though, that space grey stainless steel watch would be mine but I just can't justify that price at this point.

Thinking more about the gold version of this watch, and I think it could be in everyone's best interest if that thing flops badly. If it's a massive success, I feel like there will be no end to Apple's hubris. They've already started transitioning towards a luxury/jewelry manufacturer, pricing their things accordingly, and in the case of a new MacBook, even designing it to look good first and foremost, even if it comes at the expense of functionality and usability. I'd like if they get pegged down a notch, so that they have to rethink their strategies and pricing a bit, similar to a big price cut they did right after the first iphone came out.

But you are a Sony fan, how can you say this with a straight face. Sony had an entire luxury brand for electronics that costs multiple apple watch editions for speakers!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thanks for the site suggestion. Unfortunately it showed me that mixing the Sport Black with other, nicer bands just doesn't look great and it makes me want the Steel version more haha.
This is what happened to me exactly. I don't like the plain sport, but think the space grey actually looks great!!! But..... Your 42mm band options are very limited. Most of the color sport bands look bad with it, all of the metal stainless steel bands (though they look bad with all of the sports), and even the colored leather bands which may look ok with the aluminum again won't match the "black".

Fwiw I also think the same about the black steel watch (which is a similar problem). But man... That thing looks so gorgeous. If I knew of be 100% fine with ONLY a black watch and band I'd buy that one in a second.

Top Bottom