• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Made a unit converter app for JB+ devices if anyone is interested

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.convertunits

Another update. Added history support and some new icons

inqo51hLPax82J85e4tDwdTbEEvvy9tOV7dy7rkTHkfHAlpHX60DtJD6EJURVIXgBr0=h900-rw

No idea if anyone here will have a use for it but I've made a numerical properties app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.numbers

Numbers is an app to view various properties of a number
Apocalyptic power
Automorphic (curious)
Abundant,perfect,deficient
Pentagonal
Repunit
Tetrahedral (pyramidal)
Catalan
Pronic (heteromecic)
Lazy caterer
Square-free
Power of 2
Smith
Cube
Divisors
Even,odd
Evil,odious
Happy
Narcissistic (Plus Perfect)
Palindrome
Palindrome prime
Prime,composite
Square
Triangular
Twin prime
Undulating

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
What is the best wireless printing app for android, and does it matter what phone/printer you have? I've got a Droid Turbo (still on Kit Kat) and will be getting a Brother wireless laser printer in the next day or so.

Working on something new...
Audio wizard is a collection of audio related tools. It's very much a work in progress and will be updated frequently. Requests, bugs, etc you can contact me via the support menu or post here of course. Currently here is a list of what's available:
Acoustic power
Air absorption
Amplifier power required
Bracing - round cutouts (cylinder tube enclosure)
Bracing - round cutouts (square/rectangular enclosure)
Bracing - square/rectangular cutouts (square/rectangular enclosure)
Ceiling speaker coverage
dB to Volts
Delay and frequency
Inverse square law
Ohm's law
Port volume - cylinder tubes
Port volume - slotted ports
Power ratio
SPL (sound pressure level)
SPL addition
Volume - cylinder tube enclosure
Volume - square/rectangular enclosure
Volume - triangular/trapezoidal enclosure
Subwoofer cone area
Thermal noise
Voltage ratio
Vent length
Parallel load

reKon

Banned
Hey GAF I know some people here used my Classic Notes app but due to a DMCA complaint from Apple about my icon it was removed. Apparently it was too similar. Google told me to remove the infringing stuff and re-upload. Unfortunately I lose all ratings/reviews/users (over 6 million downloads since 2011)

Here is the new link to the app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flufflydelusions.app.classicnotes

There's nothing they can do about it? WTF, is it with this Company? Google does a lot of great things, but when it comes to anything Android related some of their shit doesn't make sense. It's like only some areas are poorly managed within Android while others are fine.

There's nothing they can do about it? WTF, is it with this Company? Google does a lot of great things, but when it comes to anything Android related some of their shit doesn't make sense. It's like only some areas are poorly managed within Android while others are fine.

Apparently not. Worse part was I could never get a response from the company that filed the complaint for Apple. Sent well over a dozen emails and not a single response. Neither Apple or this MarkMonitor place were of any help. They said the only thing you can do is email the address in the complaint. I called both corporate offices at Apple and MarkMonitor and that is all they said I could do. =\ If you want to see the complaint I pasted it in the OP at the original XDA thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1078091

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It makes sense as a policy - otherwise people could use obviously infringing icons (Superman, Nike etc) at first to boost there views and downloads. It obviously doesn't make sense in this case though.

BTW, I just updated the app with:

- Individual history for each note (access through edit menu). Revert back to any point in a notes history
- Bold font option in settings
- Option for when clicking new button to just go right into a note rather than open the list of options
- Date display option in setting. Set whether to show seconds, minutes, days ago etc or full date

Socreges

Banned
So, pocket casts. Curious about this because I can sync my podcasts between my iPad and nexus 4. But the auto cleanup seems limited compared to downcast on my iPad. Basically I want to keep all unplayed episodes of a podcast, and then for the app to delete them after I have listened to them. Will it do that, or do I have to do it manually? Seems like it only lets me keep a few episodes

Alternatively I'd welcome any other recommendations for podcast apps. Main things I need is different settings per subscription (some download, some streaming), and good cleanup rules
Question for you or anyone else that might know: if I were to buy Pocket Casts on my OPO, would it still be full price on my iPad? I assume so...... But maybe...not....?

And years later, is the Playboard still worth reading? Is it up to date?

Socreges

Banned
One more question...

What's everyone's favourite calendar app? Preferably something with a good widget...

Afraid so.
Whelp. Figures. Thanks.

Also Greenify seems so simple... but I know it must be much more complex. I can't even see a timer feature or a way to 'wake up' all the app I've hibernated. Also not sure which might be unwise to hibernate at times. I think I'll watch a tutorial tomorrow.

snacknuts

we all knew her
One more question...

What's everyone's favourite calendar app? Preferably something with a good widget...

I still prefer the stock Google Calendar, but I use the Event Flow Calendar Widget with it. The widget looks nice and there are lots of configuration options. I use an agenda layout.

Whelp. Figures. Thanks.

I doubt it would work, but I don't see the harm in emailing the developer and asking if he can give you a discount code or something to get it on iOS as well.

Also Greenify seems so simple... but I know it must be much more complex. I can't even see a timer feature or a way to 'wake up' all the app I've hibernated. Also not sure which might be unwise to hibernate at times. I think I'll watch a tutorial tomorrow.

Apps don't normally wake up until you restart your phone or open them, but the behavior is a bit different if you're using it with or without root.

Mindwipe

So, Mailbox hasn't really understood the Material Design guidelines and has completely self destructed.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good mail app? Required: must be able to support iCloud mail in some way.

Socreges

Banned
I think I need to read up on this Material Design business. I've noticed that all my apps have begun to take on the same design, which I presume is Material Design. What's the background there?

Working on something new...
Audio wizard is a collection of audio related tools. It's very much a work in progress and will be updated frequently. Requests, bugs, etc you can contact me via the support menu or post here of course. Currently here is a list of what's available:

No idea if anyone is using this here but I've updated it with a Wavelength frequency calculator

I was checking some Android wallpappers and saw a lot of people using Hangouts. I checked it out and it seems it works as SMS/MMS and message app.

I have a Z3 and am using stock SMS app so I wonder if Hangouts is any better? Should I bother with it?

Mr_Zombie

I found Hangouts app to be rather slow (opening application) when compared to other "just" SMS/MMS apps. So unless you use Hangout messenger, I wouldn't bother with it. There are better SMS/MMS apps. Currently I'm testing Textra - it's fast, pretty and has a lot of customization options.

I was checking some Android wallpappers and saw a lot of people using Hangouts. I checked it out and it seems it works as SMS/MMS and message app.

I have a Z3 and am using stock SMS app so I wonder if Hangouts is any better? Should I bother with it?

Hangouts is slow and gets even slower as text threads start to pile up.

Anyone know much about Google Opinion Rewards? I registered myself on there as Unemployed (effectively choosing to be honest and tell the truth) and I think that may have torpedoed my chances at getting surveys. Received one survey so far then it all kind of went quiet. I did however just get a "Google Test" survey which I swear to God may as well have been titled "Are you an idiot?". Seriously my nine year old niece could have correctly answered those questions.

Anyone know much about it? Mechanisms in which to increase the survey rate?

Hieberrr

Anyone know much about Google Opinion Rewards? I registered myself on there as Unemployed (effectively choosing to be honest and tell the truth) and I think that may have torpedoed my chances at getting surveys. Received one survey so far then it all kind of went quiet. I did however just get a "Google Test" survey which I swear to God may as well have been titled "Are you an idiot?". Seriously my nine year old niece could have correctly answered those questions.

Female, 30-40, working mom, seems to be a good demographic.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Do you have location turned on? 90% of the surveys I get are related to that.

3phemeral

Location is necessary for surveys inquiring about where you've been to recently. I usually get questions if I've ever been to Home Depot or Meijers. It seems that someone is paying to know where you've been, although I'm sure they know that. I'm wondering if those questions are used to see if you're honest.

And believe it or not, there are a lot of people that won't read and will just answer randomly for survey money, making their survey worthless. Those questions weed out people who ruin it for everyone else. Don't be one of those people that fakes answers to maximize profit. You'll get enough paid surveys that literally take 5 seconds of your time; that'll eventually amass into something. I've currently earned about 40 bucks since joining a year and a half ago and I use it to buy whatever app I want, including ones I normally wouldn't have where I feel like I want to support the developer.

Location is necessary for surveys inquiring about where you've been to recently. I usually get questions if I've ever been to Home Depot or Meijers. It seems that someone is paying to know where you've been, although I'm sure they know that. I'm wondering if those questions are used to see if you're honest.

And believe it or not, there are a lot of people that won't read and will just answer randomly for survey money, making their survey worthless. Those questions weed out people who ruin it for everyone else. Don't be one of those people that fakes answers to maximize profit. You'll get enough paid surveys that literally take 5 seconds of your time; that'll eventually amass into something. I've currently earned about 40 bucks since joining a year and a half ago and I use it to buy whatever app I want, including ones I normally wouldn't have where I feel like I want to support the developer.

Thanks for the good advice! I see your point; Google are probably trying to identify those who are genuine and honest. I do intend to answer the questions truthfully, accurately and honestly. I see no point in just inputting random answers when it probably takes around the same time to just help them and be honest. So far the surveys have only taken a couple of minutes max and I actually enjoy the process when I get a new one. I keep checking my phone to see if a new one has arrived because the instant rewards makes the process feel completely worth it. I'm strapped for cash at the moment and I'm currently saving up for the Poweramp app (complete music lover over here) so I'm hoping this Google initiative will allow me purchase it via the rewards.

Thanks to you and everyone else who responded though. I appreciate the guidance.

3phemeral

Thanks for the good advice! I see your point; Google are probably trying to identify those who are genuine and honest. I do intend to answer the questions truthfully, accurately and honestly. I see no point in just inputting random answers when it probably takes around the same time to just help them and be honest. So far the surveys have only taken a couple of minutes max and I actually enjoy the process when I get a new one. I keep checking my phone to see if a new one has arrived because the instant rewards makes the process feel completely worth it. I'm strapped for cash at the moment and I'm currently saving up for the Poweramp app (complete music lover over here) so I'm hoping this Google initiative will allow me purchase it via the rewards.

Thanks to you and everyone else who responded though. I appreciate the guidance.
No problem!

Also, I've noticed that I'll get the same survey sometimes back to back. I'm also certain that this is another way they check if you're honest or selecting random options.

Longest surveys I've ever gotten were about 9 questions (where additional questions are asked if you select a topic they want to know more about). Those are usually a dollar, but average survey output is about 12 cents. Very rarely do I get non-paid surveys but those are apparently used to determine if you're eligible for other paid ones.

I've tried out other apps that apparently give you money for performing tasks, but those require you to actually be in-store checking price tags. They even ask you to speak to kiosk representatives to make sure they're doing their job. Those pay (I believe) in gift cards, but it was far too demanding for me for someone with limited travel options. GOR is actually great for passively making money, but it does take a while to accumulate so if you're patiently waiting for more paid surveys, be very patient.

AndyD

aka andydumi

All of this. I have also earned about $40 in a year or so and I am much more free about buying apps now instead of waiting or getting the ad supported versions.

The location ones are clearly set to improve their location system, as I often get them after I go to Kroger, Home Depot and Walgreens. And the question will say where you at a, b, c, d where all four stores are in the same shopping center. So they are trying to improve location quality.

3phemeral

All of this. I have also earned about $40 in a year or so and I am much more free about buying apps now instead of waiting or getting the ad supported versions.

The location ones are clearly set to improve their location system, as I often get them after I go to Kroger, Home Depot and Walgreens. And the question will say where you at a, b, c, d where all four stores are in the same shopping center. So they are trying to improve location quality.

Yeah, I also forgot to mention that those will always ask what method of travel you used to get there.

So quick question. What's the best third party music player? I've tried Double Twist (awesome interface) and Poweramp (supposedly the best). I was also shocked to see how much better the third party apps were compared to Sony's native Walkman software. I would have thought Sony's Walkman app would automatically be the best but the third party apps are far superior.

So what do you guys think? Also I'm thinking of buying Poweramp Pro as the current version I have is only a limited trial. Worth the download?

I am still using PowerAmp, even though it has some issues that I don't like. Their shuffle option just shuffles a list, to constantly keep shuffling you need to set it to shuffle tracks/lists. It also seems to be inconsistent about about auto resuming playback when connection via bluetooth for me.

But yeah in comparison the walkman app is extremely bare bones.

ScOULaris

So quick question. What's the best third party music player? I've tried Double Twist (awesome interface) and Poweramp (supposedly the best). I was also shocked to see how much better the third party apps were compared to Sony's native Walkman software. I would have thought Sony's Walkman app would automatically be the best but the third party apps are far superior.

So what do you guys think? Also I'm thinking of buying Poweramp Pro as the current version I have is only a limited trial. Worth the download?

Shuttle Music Player is my current fave.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Best GPS navigation app? I don't mind paying if it means better quality. I'd want it to include traffic and speed camera info, and ideally lane assistance to help at complex junctions. Both Tom Tom Go and Copilot do that, and Google maps I think?

Here maps has offline as a bonus and seems very fast, but doesn't seem to have traffic info. Likewise sygic which felt good to use but I couldn't see traffic hold ups.

3phemeral

What kind of security app is everyone using? Should I fork over the money for the premium Lookout?

Well, what type of security are you looking for? Cerberus has good tracking options where you can use a web interface to remotely activate features like grab texts, record screens, take pictures. Unless you're looking for something like a virus scanner.

Best GPS navigation app? I don't mind paying if it means better quality. I'd want it to include traffic and speed camera info, and ideally lane assistance to help at complex junctions. Both Tom Tom Go and Copilot do that, and Google maps I think?

Here maps has offline as a bonus and seems very fast, but doesn't seem to have traffic info. Likewise sygic which felt good to use but I couldn't see traffic hold ups.

Last I checked Here, the voice output was extremely broken and frustrating. Maps is great with lane navigation except for those offline features (which you have to renew every month and you can't do it automatically in batch). I use Waze in conjunction with Google Maps because Waze will run in the background (not using it to nav, just have it open) and it'll warn me of police traps, potholes, construction, closures, etc.

Google Maps already integrated their route-change suggestions which actually works really well in terms of notifying you. Only problem is I don't like the interface to activate the new route.

Alpende

I really like n7 player.
Cerberus is really good.

I have it as well, got it for free because of some promotion they were having. I really like, it doesn't drain battery for as far as I can tell, has tons of features and you can integrate it with your ROM so it doesn't get removed if someone restores it to factory defaults (have to try that sometime though).

Highly recommended.

terrier

I have it as well, got it for free because of some promotion they were having. I really like, it doesn't drain battery for as far as I can tell, has tons of features and you can integrate it with your ROM so it doesn't get removed if someone restores it to factory defaults (have to try that sometime though).

Highly recommended.

i tested that feature in a rooted device i have and moved cerberus using Link2SD following their FAQ.
It seems to work fine but one thing was annoying, and couldn't find a way to fix it: it turns on GPS all the time. I'd rather use wifi/cell location since it is faster, and turn manually gps if i wish.
Try Androidlost, it is very much like cerberus, in fact it has a few different options that some may find useful. It is free too. But it needs to be used via web, no client app, or via sms commands.

Rootbeer

Banned
Star Wars Card Trader by Topps is now available for Android (thanks to ghostmind for notifying me.) It's been on iOS for a few weeks. Collect and trade digital star wars cards. You get free in-app currency to buy card packs each day that you open it. As with most apps, you can also buy extra currency if you want to earn cards faster.

The cards have text on the back approved by the Lucasfilm Story Team if you are into Star Wars canon and all that jazz.

If you install it, add me. My account is: Zulith (no "e")

Top Bottom