• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ara: History Untold has non-binary leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberpunkd

Solid leaders. Sejong is the one that created a Korean written language? Giga chad.
Competition to Civilization is good, given how stupid the AI in 6 was. This is a non subject.

OP, you could just play games you like and ignore the ones you don't.
This doesn’t address the issue.

Imagine you see someone kicking puppies. Would you just say, “Op, you could just not kick puppies yourself and ignore the puppy kickers”?

I don’t care about this game either way, but it’s obvious why people who have video games as a hobby will have an interest in the industry as a whole.

winjer

Gold Member
It doesn't say that on the Steam page.

Also, games requiring MS accounts don't need a separate launcher, just a login using an MS account.

At the very least it launches the "Xbox Live Auth Manager" service in Windows.
At worst, it will require the Xbox App.
And it will still require login in to an Microsoft Account. And it will also require linking our Steam account to that Microsoft account.
So it's basically the same thing as a launcher. Forcing gamers to go through loops, just to play the games we bought.

Jaybe

#124 on the Steam wishlist chart and only a week from launching. It will be Dead On Arrival.

yEM5a2F.jpeg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
At the very least it launches the "Xbox Live Auth Manager" service in Windows.
At worst, it will require the Xbox App.
And it will still require login in to an Microsoft Account. And it will also require linking our Steam account to that Microsoft account.
So it's basically the same thing as a launcher. Forcing gamers to go through loops, just to play the games we bought.

Games that require a third party login mention it on Steam.

eg State of Decay 2:

TNwsWtD.png

-

Ara's page does not mention it yet.

0wYqBAx.png

myZDsyS.png

Last edited:

llLeonhart

Ara: History Untold has trophies that need to be completed as a female or non-binary leader . . .

jP64hK4.png
I personally don't mind too much having options for non-binary, but fuck keeping achievements/trophies behind it

winjer

Gold Member
Games that require a third party login mention it on Steam.

eg State of Decay 2:

TNwsWtD.png

-

Ara's page does not mention it.

0wYqBAx.png

myZDsyS.png

All recent Microsoft games on PC require connecting to an MS account.
The page might not show it yet, but it's only a matter of time.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I personally don't mind too much having options for non-binary, but fuck keeping achievements/trophies behind it
It's female or non-binary, so you can ignore the non-binary aspect.

As far as I can tell from the marketing video on the Steam page, the game wants to take you, the modern audience, and put you in the position of leader of historical civilizations, so I suppose it makes sense to have such options in the game. It's not about retconning historical leaders into being non-binary. From what I gather, at any rate.

Zacfoldor

Phil better shut this down faster than Hermen did Concord or we will get weeks of Asmongold clips outta this. Weeks!

Actually Phil, let them cook.

Ah, so any achievement that requires you to do something specific isn't very inclusive and this is just the latest one people are upset over. I see, I see.

They're literally picking your gender, let alone assuming your gender, to play a big portion of the game.

ssringo

100 bombings doesn't sound like a 5 minute achievement . . . they're making you play as the genders they want if you care about the achievements.
Other achievements are asking you play as specific characters which forces a gender as well. No complaints there though are there.

kevboard

Other achievements are asking you play as specific characters which forces a gender as well. No complaints there though are there.

different characters usually have different gameplay associated with them. unique moves, unique weapons etc.

this is just slacktivism by the devs

kiphalfton

Ara: History Untold has trophies that need to be completed as a female or non-binary leader . . .

jP64hK4.png

“In my eyes, history is about storytelling. It’s a common misconception that history is strictly about the facts and figures, or in the case of a game like ours, the victors and the losers. But history goes way beyond that.”

Quoted section about historical research timestamped in the video. It just sounds like typical sanitized corpo-speak, nothing particularly out of the ordinary or agenda red flagging.

I disagree with how she frames her statement. Historical research is about facts and coming as close to objective truth as you can achieve. The practice of writing history also involves telling a compelling story with a specific point of view to engage the audience and effectively transport them into a different time and place. They should work hand-in-hand.

One can only hope these type of people get ommitted in "the history books".

Is there an achievement for beating it as a male?

No, only shame

Last edited:

“In my eyes, history is about storytelling. It’s a common misconception that history is strictly about the facts and figures, or in the case of a game like ours, the victors and the losers. But history goes way beyond that.”

Quoted section about historical research timestamped in the video. It just sounds like typical sanitized corpo-speak, nothing particularly out of the ordinary or agenda red flagging.

I disagree with how she frames her statement. Historical research is about facts and coming as close to objective truth as you can achieve. The practice of writing history also involves telling a compelling story with a specific point of view to engage the audience and effectively transport them into a different time and place. They should work hand-in-hand.

Revisionist history is very dangerous to civilization, no matter which side does it.

An inoccuous retcon or misinformation in popular media, especially when the grounds for your content has it's basis in history, has the capability of spiraling into a full blown authoritarian censorship, thought policing and ultimately fascist power trips by the powers that be.

It's a bipartisan issue that everyone should be alarmed about, irrespective of your political leanings.

Catphish

"It’s a common misconception that history is strictly about the facts and figures..."

That's the stupidest fucking thing I've read in awhile. Facts and figures are exactly what history is about. If it's not factual, it's not history.
Pulling historical shit out of your woke ass is called Historical Fiction.

Last edited:
"It’s a common misconception that history is strictly about the facts and figures..."

That's the stupidest fucking thing I've read in awhile. Facts and figures are exactly what history is about. If it's not factual, it's not history.
Pulling historical shit out of your woke ass is called Historical Fiction.

The same kind of people are writing our "history" books. It'll be a joke for decades to come.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Retcon actual history to make it more inclusive. Nothing like them outright lying to themselves and others to make a statement.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

jP64hK4.png
I personally thank them for trying to break the perception that straight men are aggressive and start wars.

ssringo

Specific characters isn't pushing an agenda for the sake of an agenda.
this is just slacktivism by the devs
Ah, yes. The achievement called "Barbenheimer" asking you to bomb cities as a female or non-binary is pushing an agenda and not all a reference to last Summer's Barbie/Oppenheimer movie meme.

There's other things in that article to find problems with; they've been pointed out. No need to jump at shadows looking to be upset.

Ah, yes. The achievement called "Barbenheimer" asking you to bomb cities as a female or non-binary is pushing an agenda and not all a reference to last Summer's Barbie/Oppenheimer movie meme.

There's other things in that article to find problems with; they've been pointed out. No need to jump at shadows looking to be upset.

Was Oppenheimer and Ken female or non-binary? Still forcing you to play as one of their chosen genders to push their agenda.

Roxkis_ii

I didn't even make an opinion, I stated a fact. Triggered much?
People post things for a reason, but you can keep projecting.
This doesn’t address the issue.

Imagine you see someone kicking puppies. Would you just say, “Op, you could just not kick puppies yourself and ignore the puppy kickers”?

I don’t care about this game either way, but it’s obvious why people who have video games as a hobby will have an interest in the industry as a whole.

Kicking puppies I don't think would be a good analogy here.

Someone is making an entertainment product that you don't like. The best way you can show your dislike of that product is by not buying it.

Trying to start a protest about it will make you look like a bigot (why do you care so much about something that doesn't affect you) , add fuel to the other side and waste energy. This game existing harms no one. Mater of fact, most people probably didn't know this game existed if not for this thread.

It's more games being made and released then ever before, why spend time protesting games you don't care for instead of elevating the games you want to see more of instead? It just seems... Werid.

Filben

I mean, having a woman or non-binary person doing something like bombarding cities is actually an achievement.

ungalo

What does it accomplish to do more then that?
If people meant to accomplish something they would talk directly to the publisher or something. It's just a topic of discussion in the forum like anything else.

I get that it's pretty redundant, sometimes i get very bored of it too. I skip this kind of threads for some time then it feels better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom