• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc System Works... your opinion.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What is your honest opinion of this company.... a company that makes games well or an extremely scamming company?

Davevil

33073-ingame-Hokuto-No-Ken.jpg

I will always thank them for giving us this masterpiece of my favorite anime

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
2D fighting games are mostly irrelevant to me. That was exciting in the late 80s. They have nice graphics but it just looks super combo heavy and boring; all the same.

I wish they would make a beat em up.

EDIT: haha, actually totally forgot they made the recent Double Dragon. And its great. So yeah I was very impressed with that game. Just not into their fighting games I guess.

Last edited:

anthony2690

They make great fighting games, personal favourites over the years:
Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend (much better than central fiction & vanilla Chrono phantasma was pants imo)
Guilty Gear Accent Core+R
Guilty Gear Strive (I really need to return to this game at some point, especially with season 3&4)
DBFZ (Not really into tag fighters or Dragonball, but for some reason I really enjoyed this game a lot when I was playing it a lot, during the first two seasons)

One of the best in the business, art and gameplay are top tier.

People get mad that they charge money for extra characters and call it a scam, it's really not by any definition of the word.

The base game (strive) is worth the price because it's incredibly solid. You can choose to buy extra characters or not, then keep what you buy, a simple business transaction without any tricks.

There's no subscription bs, no battle pass bs, no taking away what you already bought, just additional content you can buy individually or in discounted chunks.

Sure, it would be nice if they included all of the additional characters for free but that's asking for quite a lot considering the amount of development that goes into every character.

If you want to wait for an ultimate edition then more power to you, the base game is already a gem. You have all of the options to buy more characters or not, or just buy only the characters that interest you. In the old days they would sell you a whole new game with an updated roster, remember?

Last edited:
I'm only really familiar with Guilty Gear. And I'm only interested in the games they made before Strive.

While very pretty, there's zero about Strive that interests me. Tried it, then dropped it not too long after.

I have no hate towards them. They are making games for the lowest common denominator at the moment, with Strive being the Persona 5 of fighting games (Aka, the only FG that ResetEra type people play).

It's working, so keep doing it. I'm just out of it.

If my main (Jam) shows up in Strive maybe I will consider trying it again.

they saved 2d fighting genre on the ps1
Confused Little Girl GIF

They only put out a single niche game with poor execution. PS1 library was filled with Capcom and SNK fighters of much higher quality. Even Mortal Kombat had great 2D installments on PS1. There were even good niche titles like Gundam Battle Assault 2 and Power Instinct 2.

P.S. I only like two games by Arc System Works and those games are Guilty Gear XX Slash and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

Last edited:
One of the best 2d anime style fighting game companies. That I have bought dbz fighters, guilty gear and blue blaze.

Wait, when did they made a fist of the North Star game and when was this released

ASW makes top notch stuff

I don’t see anything they’ve done as any worse than some of the practices Nintendo has engaged in. Deal with it or spend your money elsewhere.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
10 outta 10 developer.

After watching how they do their shading and animating for the anime look I got a new found respect for them.
I had seen the cellshaded anime look done before, but how they do it is another level and legit I think anime studios should be looking at the work they put in to those animations to handle their 3DCG, cuz alot of animes have absolutely shitty 3DCG.

ramlethal-guiltygear-xrd-win.gif

Holammer

Not a fan of their games, but they are the best when it comes to 3d/2d art.
Because they only do a very specific niche, most of their games are licensed work for hire stuff. Maybe try something different.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not a fan of their games, but they are the best when it comes to 3d/2d art.
Because they only do a very specific niche, most of their games are licensed work for hire stuff. Maybe try something different.

Blaz Blue and Guilty Gear is all they need to be working on outside of licensed works.
The world is better place because they dont try maintaining too many fighting game universes........

Lambogenie

Decent games but honestly their stuff just feels too samey. I guess you can say Capcom, Namco, Netherealm all have their defining feeling too.

IAmRei

They are fine, some business decision might scared some people, but they are still fine.

For the artstyle, they are too damn fine : ))
Their animations are rop notch, i learnt many things for animation from their works as well (beside SNK and Capcom)

Their beat em up are also inspiring <3

amigastar

They are fine, some business decision might scared some people, but they are still fine.

For the artstyle, they are too damn fine : ))
Their animations are rop notch, i learnt many things for animation from their works as well (beside SNK and Capcom)

Their beat em up are also inspiring <3
Art Style is awesome in their games and i love the beat em ups from them.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
funnily enough my fav fighter got this dropped yesterday

love them for there support. Looking forward to the new story parts.

Last edited:

cireza

Overrated developer. Their games look good, but gameplay is as uninteresting as it gets. FighterZ looked awesome, but the gameplay is complete shit.

That being said, Guilty Gear Strive is excellent. They came back to the basics and they nailed it. First game from them that I can truly recommend.

Last edited:
they were hot on saturn as the ps1 ports were inferior to that console
anyway just an opinion i had in those days
Almost nobody owned a Saturn. A few cut frames of animation and 10 more seconds of loading are a small price to pay for unlimited access to arcade greatness and a large library to choose from.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

33073-ingame-Hokuto-No-Ken.jpg

I will always thank them for giving us this masterpiece of my favorite anime
I'm glad to see someone else mention this before me, lol. Full blown bias as someone that loves Fist of the Northstar, I will always appreciate them for making this a reality. We used to have an arcade in the area that specialized in Japanese cabinets, and I'd hit it up periodically. Imagine my surprise and shock (lol) when they had this. I freaked out. It's wild that even to this day the series feels SO underrated. Especially stateside.

Top Bottom