• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Shooters

JavyOO7

How about them shooters, eh? This time, my questions pertains to the arcade platform.

Darius Gaiden is bloody brilliant.
R-Type Leo is AMAZING.
Galaga '88 literally had my jaw on the floor when I saw it in the mall the other day.
And there was this certain Capcom shooter, released in 2000 I think, that was a shooter combined with RPG elements to upgrade your weapons. It was Japanese though, so I don't know what it is. But it's freaking HARD.

So, any shooters you guys can tell me about for Arcade? Thanks again!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Galaga '88 literally had my jaw on the floor when I saw it in the mall the other day.

Were you locked up in jail or something?

JavyOO7

Naw. But never saw that version of Galaga until that day. Pretty cool to say the least, too bad I did'nt have a quarter to play. :(

Does anyone know that Capcom shooter, though? Man, I'd really like to know the name of it.

XS+

Banned
Have I not been paying attention or has this year been sort of dry for brand new arcade shooters? It's just ESPGaluda and Gradius V (and that pretty but weird Xbox shooter in development) by my count.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
recently caught up with the later Dreamcast shooters, Border Down, Pysivair (sp?), and Shikigami No Shiro II.

nitewulf

esp.ra.de, batsugun, donpachi, dodonpachi, gwange, battle garegga, Raiden series are all great manic shooters.
Aerofighters 1,2,3 are more standard shooters, they havent aged that well, but still for pure reflex based gameplay they are great.
strikers 1945 is my favorite shooter of all time, its just perfectly balanced. the sequel 1945 plus is a great game, but i didnt like it as much as the original.
capcoms 19xx series is fantastic, though the older games have been far surpassed by other shooters.
personally i dont like horizontal shooters and detest the memorization gameplay of R Type (mostly because i suck at it). But Blazing Star is a great looking manic horizontal shooter, and Pulstar is a great looking clone of R Type, w/ anime styled cutsenes and all.

WarPig

Dimahoo is notable for having bar none the greatest attract mode ever.

THE EARTH WAS ACTUALLY HOLLOW!

DFS.

WarPig

UPDATE: The entire Dimahoo attract mode spiel:

THEY CAME FROM UNDERGROUND!

THE EARTH WAS REALLY HOLLOW!

NOW WE ARE UNDER ATTACK FROM...

THE EVIL GOBLIGAN EMPIRE!

WHO'S GONNA STOP THEM?

THE TOUGH BOUNTY HUNTERS!

ARE YOU GREAT?

WE ARE GREAT!