• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcadecraft |OT| Making your fortune, one quarter at a time

9vk8vys.png

Arcadecraft is available right now on Xbox 360, for 240 Microsoft Points. That's the same price as BASICALLY NOTHING.

You know all those conversations you have with your friends about what you’d do if you won the lottery, and you always go “man, I’d totally
build an arcade in town, whatever happened to the arcades like we had when we were kids?”

Well, now you can!

Arcadecraft is kind of like Theme Park, but instead of rides, you fill an arcade with machines, collecting quarters, kicking out unruly
kids, and repairing that machine that always seems to break down and maybe it’d just be a better idea to replace it because it’s been there
since 1982 and it’s 1985 now and there’s that new game that’s just come out that all the kids are talking about and you’re desperate to get
people back into your arcade because profits have been falling for ages and the rent is due but you can’t afford a new cabinet right now but
can you even afford not to buy it and oh God something else has broken down and you end up in a gutter with only a bottle of whisky in
a brown paper bag for company. Or, you know, make a successful arcade instead, probably the better option.

fk7PBNL.png

There’s a bunch of stuff to do, and a bunch of other stuff to contend with:

Arcadecraft features near 80 arcade machines in Standup, Cocktail, Cockpit, and Import configurations. Players may change the
difficulty and price parameters per machine to discover the ideal payoff settings. They must also keep on top of a pressure cooker of
full coin boxes, game malfunctions, and jammed coin slots.

Players name their space, paint the walls, change the floors, add graphics, and colourful neon to make the arcade their own! They may
also decorate and serve with vending machines and novelty items such as Christmas Trees and Halloween Pumpkins.

Visitors, from expert game players, salesmen, and game collectors appear in the arcade offering their services while power outages,
home versions of games, industry shifts, and more work to get in the way of financial freedom! Players will also see their Xbox Live
friends enjoying the games in their arcade but will need to keep a close eye on them less they go on a machine smashing rampage.

Also, you can block people in the toilets.

FaYwjI9.jpg

1bW5hZS.jpg

quHBfGX.jpg

Arcadecraft is developed by Firebase, at least one half of which is a member here on GAF. So if you’ve questions or suggestions, this’d be
the place to post them. If you want to support a friend on GAF, this is the game to buy!

And if you want the game on Steam, don’t just post here, vote for it on Greenlight!

... but for now buy it on Xbox 360 instead.

ScOULaris

The concept is cool and nostalgic. I'm giving it my vote on Steam Greenlight because I'd like to play it without the ugly 360 avatars.

PS - That feeling when you realize that we've moved so far past arcade culture that we're playing games in which we pretend to manage one. Why are my eyes sweating?

Glad I bought it. So far, the game has a nice foundation for a better experience once Fire Base updates with more content and tweaks, including, I hope, a much more demanding curve post-loan payoff. As is, it is worth at least four to six hours of play and it's fun stuff to tease your latent gamer OCD you might have.

OnPoint

Scooping this up after I get the points tonight.

Saw the build at PAX Prime and I've got to say even then it looked impressive.

I have been loving this game since I discovered it yesterday. Such a great little management sim, they pull off the 80s retro vibe perfectly. The sights and sounds are terrific. I don't think it's terribly deep but I still had a ton of fun putting my arcade together and customizing it and ultimately gouging my customers for maximum profit. It has a really impressively authentic 1980s retro feel. Doing everything I can to support this game as it seems like the devs have a very ambitious roadmap to build it out even more and it needs all the help it can get.

For only $3 you can't go wrong; at least try the free demo. WHITTA APPROVED.

bryehn

I can't really read 'cause of some eye drops put in earlier, but can you play the games on the machines?

Either way, I'll check this out.

I have been loving this game since I discovered it yesterday. Such a great little management sim, they pull off the 80s retro vibe perfectly. The sights and sounds are terrific. I don't think it's terribly deep but I still had a ton of fun putting my arcade together and customizing it and ultimately gouging my customers for maximum profit. It has a really impressively authentic 1980s retro feel. Doing everything I can to support this game as it seems like the devs have a very ambitious roadmap to build it out even more and it needs all the help it can get.

For only $3 you can't go wrong; at least try the free demo. WHITTA APPROVED.

Yell at the GB folks to quicklook it.

Zomba13

oooh sounds cool. Might get on the 360 if I have points leftover or points left after adding some if not I've given it a thumbs up on greenlight.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Picked it up and having a blast with it. I think next time I play I'm going to pick up 2-3 of the newest game and see if that gets me a boost.

Just got a "game unexpectedly stopped working" error message. Guess the game was too mega.

I got 4 or 5 of these myself.

The game is great but it only took me one night to finish/see everything. I hope you guys are serious about updating this, hopefully up to a 20yr timeframe. You have a lot of features in here that would work great in the late game. Like if I refuse to sell my retro games to the hoarder, maybe in 95 space rocks has a resurgence and becomes a huge hit all over again and now the hoarder will pay a lot to get it. I already love how a super gamer setting a score can boost an old games popularity significantly, although he usually wants to play the latest game and block a bunch of earnings (protip: buy 2 Gorilla machines.) You should be able to move to bigger buildings, raise the limit on the number of cabs each time, allow us to hire more than 1 coin guy, etc... it would be awesome to run a place with 80 machines going into 1999.

So far I think this is a great start, well worth the money. Ive always wanted an arcade sim, now all I can do is hope that you guys continue to expand on it.

Yeah, if you have checked the Firebase website and the Arcadecraft Roadmap you will see that we really want to keep the game going. For the 240msp we think the value people can get out of the box is pretty strong but like iOS games that get constant updates, building and supporting the playerbase is essential to keeping interest and adding new players.

The new location is about 50% complete on the art side. I'd be working on it now if it were not for this new update we want to roll out that should fix many of the bugs people are encountering.

Can you place machines back into that storage area and will they still count as active machines? I hit the 30 machine limit but am bummed about having to sell old ones to make room for new ones.

Also can I make a request for purple walls in the new space for my Saints Row themed Arcade?

Can you place machines back into that storage area and will they still count as active machines? I hit the 30 machine limit but am bummed about having to sell old ones to make room for new ones.

Also can I make a request for purple walls in the new space for my Saints Row themed Arcade?

Purple Hmmm. It is only a new texture and UI piece so it is pretty simple to do. Incredibly so actually.

Machines in storage don't count for active power pricing as long as they spend the entire month in storage. The moment you place it on your floor any time in the month you immediately have to pay for it. We meant to have it so that you could keep machines in storage while having others active. It just never got implemented.

Gaspode_T

Having a lot of fun with this, so much polish, I will have to try to pimp it at work today...

I encountered a bug which is probably due to my wonky VPN - sometimes XBL is in a limbo-signed-in-state and takes about 5 minutes to figure out "Oh I need to be disconnected", basically when I entered my arcade there were no avatars playing the games LOL - I was like, oh, maybe they will load if I exit out and back in but it didn't work, then suddenly the "You were disconnected from Xbox Live" notification popped up, so I am pretty sure it is just the signed in API was not telling the truth about something.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Finished my first game, got into the top 50. Experimenting with multiple machines of 1 title worked pretty well, just start selling them off once the game starts losing popularity.

Does increasing cost or difficulty ever yield positive results for anybody? I usually see red text over customer's names and revert it back to default.

Finished my first game, got into the top 50. Experimenting with multiple machines of 1 title worked pretty well, just start selling them off once the game starts losing popularity.

Does increasing cost or difficulty ever yield positive results for anybody? I usually see red text over customer's names and revert it back to default.
I never do except for soda and the jukebox, which people don't seem to mind paying $1 a pop for.

Gaspode_T

We had a nickel arcade in our neighborhood back about 1994 to 1997, it was epic! You paid $7 to get in and then got $2 of nickels. Most games were just 5 cents, some of the sit down games were 10 cents. They had lots of pinball too. It was called Wunderland - I heard they moved to Portland or something later. They even had things like XMen or Dungeons and Dragons, so you could actually beat those games without becoming broke.

I had several machines at $.50 or $1.
Did you change the difficulty at all? I spent a lot of time experimenting with difficulty and price points on the games. I noticed that players always complained whenever I jacked up the price but still pumped money into them nevertheless.

Did you change the difficulty at all? I spent a lot of time experimenting with difficulty and price points on the games. I noticed that players always complained whenever I jacked up the price but still pumped money into them nevertheless.

I debut every game at hard difficulty, but left the price at 25 cents for everything but the sit down racers and the mega popular games. As popularity wanes, I tick down the difficulty. This worked out for me relatively well on my first successful run of the game, I'm gonna try experimenting with prices on my next run through... it probably requires a much closer eye on each game.

Hey Warm Machine... how long does the game go for after 1985? It said I could keep playing so I went about halfway into the year but I think I want to start a new game now unless I can farm out the top spot of the leader board by just continually playing :-D

I debut every game at hard difficulty, but left the price at 25 cents for everything but the sit down racers and the mega popular games. As popularity wanes, I tick down the difficulty. This worked out for me relatively well on my first successful run of the game, I'm gonna try experimenting with prices on my next run through... it probably requires a much closer eye on each game.

Hey Warm Machine... how long does the game go for after 1985? It said I could keep playing so I went about halfway into the year but I think I want to start a new game now unless I can farm out the top spot of the leader board by just continually playing :-D

It will run until the end of 86.

So I have a mix of praises, criticisms and observations, in no particular order.

I picked this up yesterday thinking I was going to play for twenty minutes. I ended up playing for hours. Today I got on it as soon as I got home and have been on it now for maybe two hours or more. I just turned it off. I'm loving the game so far. Great job Warm Machine.

It starts out slow and ramps up to where your main functions are to take quarters out of the machine. After a while that becomes overwhelming and the employee becomes a great asset. This portion of the game along with buying and selling machines was great for keeping me busy and ate up most of my time playing this game yesterday.

I'm not a fan of the music. It didn't fit an 80s arcade vibe, imo. It sounded like a good fit for a game about billiards or truck driving and it just didn't sound all that great to me. Serviceable I guess.

When the guy came to buy machines off of me (My wife and I love the expression on the guy's face), I couldn't tell how popular the machine was or how old or if it was considered a classic, which causes me to end up rejecting his offer most of the time.

Speaking of which, I couldn't find a menu that posted my classic machines after the initial "this game is now a classic" animation. Maybe I missed it?

I hate the "best player in the world". There doesn't seem to me much benefit to allowing him to risk your sales and you can do just fine without him.

I wish there was more customization but I do understand that this is a $3 game. What's there is very cool.

I couldn't tell what the difficulty or price change did but my experimentation consisted of raising the price and difficulty on every machine and later lowering both.

I loved the loan situation. It really made me stress to get the $13,500 and save it for when the year was over. It really made me choose between upgrading my inventory or being responsible. I wish there were more situations like this in the game.

I'm in '84 now and the game seems to be running itself now and there isn't much to do same as in the tail end of Game Dev Story. At this rate I could probably breeze to '86 with no problems unless there is a twist waiting to happen later down the road.

If someone is pounding the machine, instead of picking them up and dragging to the exit, I can just pick up the machine and drop it and they will be gone just the same.

Nice touches with the machines breaking, jamming and the power outages.

Once I found out that there was a benefit to having classic machines I slowed down my purchase of new machines and now get rid of all one star machines for newer ones. I get the feeling that it's pretty open for anything to be a possibility and that there is no wrong answer in this regard. I assume this was intended.

Graphics are excellent and I love the attention to detail put into the machines. I'm sure it was a lot of fun to come up with the names and logos.

Overall, this is a really fun game. Very few games had me scrambling to get more points to purchase after playing the demo like this one did. I almost drove to the store to get a points card but tried to see if I could get instant codes on amazon first (didn't know I could do this until yesterday. Always had my CC on Live until recently) and I did.

Good luck, I hope this one does great for you.

So it seems Famitsu loves Arcadecraft

"It's paid attention pertinently in the details. I can only say Amazing."

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201302/08028311.html
Nice!

When the guy came to buy machines off of me (My wife and I love the expression on the guy's face), I couldn't tell how popular the machine was or how old or if it was considered a classic, which causes me to end up rejecting his offer most of the time.
Definitely agree with this one, it would be nice to know this stuff before selling. As a rule I would never sell to this guy just out of lack of information.

He always tries to buy your oldest game. He also pays the original purchase price for it as well. Chances are, whatever he is buying is a classic. Sooner or later every machine will become a classic, 3 months after you can no longer buy it from the store.

Ther is actually a bug with his behavior right now. He will only ever ask you for your oldest game and if you say no he will ask you for that one again. We are going to make it so that when you say no that is going to be your one and only chance to sell it to him. Then he will ask for another machine later.

We are probably going to add a icon in the HUD that shows if a machine is a classic or not. This way there will be a visual indicator you can reference and remember it better. That or we could have Lisa give you the details of what it is you are selling him.

Oh I remember one thing that bugged me: when the game company rep comes in and wants to sell you his new game, there's no option to buy it if your arcade is already at capacity. Would be nice to have the option to sell a machine to make room.

The thing about the import guy is that he is on a schedule. I guess we don't make it clear enough though, or at all. He shows up June-August every year so the idea was that te player anticipates him and decides to make space prior to his arrival. 3 month risk and reward.

If this isn't working we can look into adjusting it by stopping the sim and giving you an opportunity to dump a machine.

BTW, in the new update we are working on right now how do people feel about us making the genres worth 1/4 star instead of a 1/2 star but start really shaking up the amount of machines you may set on hard to rebalance the cash flow? It would make the first 2 years very stressful.

I had no idea the import salesman was on a schedule, I just would always keep my collection 1 under max because of him.

I also had no idea games of the same genre got boosts being together. I honestly didn't understand what was going on with the popularity of machines, like if there were certain areas of the arcade that are better/worse, if putting them near same genre/company/recently released cabinets would help, or anything really. Only thing that was documented in the game was that putting sequels next to the other games in the series helps.

Never got why my ratings in that report your assistant shows you every month were like 0-1.5 stars for everything. Yet i still raked in tons of money so I didn't care to try and raise things. But seriously shit made no sense... decorations there are only 1 thing available, I select it and i get 1 star out of like 10?

I had no idea the import salesman was on a schedule, I just would always keep my collection 1 under max because of him.

I also had no idea games of the same genre got boosts being together. I honestly didn't understand what was going on with the popularity of machines, like if there were certain areas of the arcade that are better/worse, if putting them near same genre/company/recently released cabinets would help, or anything really. Only thing that was documented in the game was that putting sequels next to the other games in the series helps.

Never got why my ratings in that report your assistant shows you every month were like 0-1.5 stars for everything. Yet i still raked in tons of money so I didn't care to try and raise things. But seriously shit made no sense... decorations there are only 1 thing available, I select it and i get 1 star out of like 10?

All of this is valid feedback because it highlights some important stuff.

Basically making a game this complicated with so many mechanics is difficult when it comes to communicating those design goals to the player. This is the number one thing we struggled with. Some players get really upset when they are led around by the nose because they want to experiment. Others get lost when you don't tell them much. Both camps don't like to read text. The only option is then set up circumstances that force you to learn the game, and then you get back into the leading you around problem.

We do tell you pretty much everything you need to know in the text but we find most people don't read it.

The genres thing is explained the moment you buy a game of a different genre than one you already have. Usually it appears on the 2nd or 3rd machine you buy. We set it up that way off the begining.

Genres are simply a way of giving the arcade variety. The more different genres you have, the more variety and therefor the more you cater to a wider crowd. All you need is one of each genre to serve everyone. As well, Pop Machines and Jukeboxes are essentially a genre each. They are service items.

Machines expire however when they reach the end of their effective life cycle and then no longer count for your genre count. So a Alien Landing which is a shooter doesn't count as a shooter 2 years later because it has become irrelevant. However, to stop a player from simply dumping it we turn it into a classic and then classics become valuable to serve the retro crowd.

Now the screen you see pop up at the end of each month IS misleading. The idea isn't to max out all of the stars, it is simply to show you where you are getting your popularity from because no one was understanding the hows and whys of their arcade popularity. If you count up the stars, half stars, quarter stars, etc they will add up to a value. If that value is greater than 5 you have a maxed out arcade. If it is less you can improve through actions and play. We also show you what is negatively effecting the arcade, such as machine position, high prices, high difficulty on games, etc.

That screen was simply the best way we could quickly display this to the player but it does come across like bars to fill, and for that we are sorry.

As far as other mechanics, Lisa explicitly states the layout bonus for machine backs against walls or other machines, draining cash from machines, needing to repair machines, hot squares and how they work, how Bobby Danger works, difficulty and price changes, customization bonuses, etc. It is all in there and all documented. Obviously though this stuff can be useless if no one spends the time to read the dialouge and experiment with it.

I think the biggest failure we made is that the game is too easy, and we made it easy because believe it or not, some people were failing out of the first two years all the time even with the way it is set up now! As crazy as it sounds, our XNA playtest reviews had people upset that they kept going broke in the first few months.

The next issue was that after the loan got paid off we needed another carrot to keep the player engaged. This carrot should be getting 30 machines, having to buy something really grand, or preparing to move to a new location. All of those things are planned for but we could not continue working on the game and not have something generating income for the company so we chose to put it out the way it is to get a boost and hopfully some good press and then circle back to it later with a couple more years of sim and a new location to play it to attain.

I can tell now that the game is released that people are making way more cash than was expected. The 900th person on the leaderboard has something like 300k in gross earnings which is pretty good. It also proves that over half the leaderboard knows how to play the game decently well.

Still, the game was designed to be expandable and iterative. We wanted to keep expanding the material that was there and layering mechanics overtop of it as the months go by to keep it fresh and interesting.

We are still pretty happy with the game and we get loads of emails from people saying how much they love it. Just got one today from a guy who was saying that we would happily pay for more content and updates!

Oh I knew having more genres is good. I thought you meant pairing genres of games near each other also helped. But I did not know they "expire", that sounds like a weird way to do it. I guess the genre being changed to "Classic" would help illustrate that to the player.

I understood all the stuff that is pointed out to you in game like the not exposing the backs of the cabinets and the golden spots and other stuff like that, but I figured there's got to be more to it, especially since I couldn't figure out any way to reliably make a cabinet 5 star. Like if putting a popular cabinet next to something else, would that boost the other ones chances of getting played?

And yeah... that monthly update screen is just confusing the way it is, definitely change that. I was always trying to figure out how to get them to be decent when I was apparently "maxed" the entire game.

Sanjuro

Yeah. I moved at a rapid pace tinkering with settings. Normally you can see the rate of the cash flow change right before your eyes. Some floundering machines worked well with low settings, brought them back from the dead, albeit temporarily. Some I could keep on high and not have a change in reaction. Normal still was the most frequent though.

I tried another complete game in one sitting to take #1 on the leaderboard, but got too tired towards the end and missed my target.

I will forever be #2.

Top Bottom