• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcadecraft |OT| Making your fortune, one quarter at a time

Warm Machine, you should probably think about adjusting some of the instructional text, like specifying that you should hold the Y button to drain coin-boxes from machines since I've noticed some people I recommended this game to thought they were doing what they should when just briefly pressing the button but were not actually emptying them. Also, I hope you can add more pauses in the progression to give people breathing room for actually poring over and comprehending the stats, connecting them in useful ways to take advantage of that data. Are you going to expand the spacing elements to include lines of people on popular machines, forcing the player to create queues to allow customer flow or cordon off areas with additional employees to lower the occurrence of new angry customers waiting in line that spawn?

Heh. When the first machine does fill to the brim, Lisa does say that you have to hold the Y button to drain the quarters out of it. Text really is the worst way to talk about mechanics.

People laugh at those "If Doom was made today" videos and talk about how unnecessary and bloated that exposition is but it is true. People need to be be taught mechanics as player experimentation can be considered by the player as failure on their part.

In terms of Avatars we don't know how much head room we have in terms of memory and rendering performance we have with the guys. There is a lot more we would like to add to the game. I think a few simple things paired with bigger one offs is going to do wonders for the game.

I think the game could use a help section. In game tutorial pop ups are fine but could get annoying if they explain every bit about the game.

But you have no help menu at all. It's basically like playing an old game for the first time without having access to the instruction manual.

Like the coin slot being stuck. There's nothing in game explaining that, but I don't think the assistant should pop up and tell you every little thing. But I should be able to go to the pause menu and look at what would essentially be a virtual instruction manual.

That sounds promising. I had some thoughts about what would punch up the feel and lessen the sometimes too-even pace of the game. Seems like tipping the machines forward when you drain them could be accompanied by coins streaming across the screen and into the display for total revenue at the top-right corner of the UI. It would just enhance the feeling of success and positive visual payoff that you're growing your funds...that you're succeeding. It was neat to have that feedback with a simple flourish in something like Plants vs. Zombies whenever you collect sunlight as it flew up to the total displayed. Or more simply perhaps, a rising pitch to the coin drain sound effect based on percentage left in the current coin box while the numeric display would glow or be highlighted by a slight increase in scale as it happens. As for the number of Avatar characters on-screen, couldn't you instance some static avatars or even 2D stand-ins/billboards placed in a 'standing in line'-pose? Also, does anyone actually use the restroom? I've kept the path clear but I've been tempted to put machines down in front of it due to it being a nice space to occupy when rolling the lineup of machines out from the back wall.

Try putting a machine infront of the restroom and see what happens. Also, try blocking the front door. Don't know until you try.

Lisa does tell you what to do when the coin slot gets stuck :)

Definitely did not happen for me, don't know what to tell you. When it happened I came on NeoGaf and saw someone else had already asked in the XBLIG thread too.

Try putting a machine infront of the restroom and see what happens. Also, try blocking the front door. Don't know until you try.

I know what happens because there was a gold spot in front of the bathroom. Which I hope is something you're patching.

I know what happens because there was a gold spot in front of the bathroom. Which I hope is something you're patching.

This does indeed happen and is risk and reward. If you want to have the short term benefit of a machine rising its popularity and its payout for the tradeoff of the arcade popularity dropping because there isn't a washroom it is a decision that can be made. It spawns there because otherwise the appearance of the hot square is always a positive one and then there isn't strategy involved.

Even if the hotsquare does appear there and you use it, you should still be able to prop up the popularity of the arcade by buying a cheaper customization item or new machine or both to help balance it out.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Tried changing my pricing/difficulty strategy for my 2nd game and I was barely staying afloat. I had to sell most of my machines to pay off my loan, leaving me crippled. Time to rethink this for my next game.

Inappropriate ideas for this game:
-being able to open a bar in part of the arcade and serve drinks
-having to forcibly remove sexual predators from the premises

squall23

Theoretically, I should be able to fill my arcade with any Gundam VS, Maximum Tune, bemani and music game machines and I'd have people flocking to my place, but that doesn't seem like something you can do in this game.

Just bought this game on the 360 last night and had a lot of fun! All of the sudden a few hours had flown by. I haven't had that happen with a game in quite some time.

I have a few questions though..

1. The pillars. When you buy them, where do they show up? Are those outside the arcade or inside?

2. Is there ever any time you can bump the difficulty of game up to high and the cost to a dollar without people getting pissed off? No one seems to care paying a dollar for soda and music though.

3. When it mentions arranging the games correctly, is there more to that besides having games up against something or grouped in the same genre?

4. How and when does a game become a classic? How will I know which game is a classic?

5. Does buying multiple games of the same game ever benefit you?

6. Are the leaderboards only available if you have Xbox Live Gold? I can't seem to access them and I don't have Gold.

7. Will there be future content updates for this game?

8. I'm only a couple of years into the game, how long does a full playthrough take?

9. Is there any benefit to placing your machines by the door? If there isn't, there should be. Hot/new games should be able to a bump by being placed by the door and you should be able to charge more and up the difficult because they are the main draw.

10. Any other tips for someone just starting out?

Comments/ideas:

-It'd be cool if you could run contests as part of the seasonal promotions.
-Best 3 dollar game I've bought. Probably one of the only games worth buying at 3 bucks. I think this game could be sold for more.
-I wish there was an easier way to see the full arcade. The camera controls don't feel very responsive and admiring your arcade is part of the fun, imo.
-I'd like more information about the games in the arcade besides just genre information. It'd make things feel more immersive.
-Jukebox and soda machine seem a bit overpowered.
-Very fun game and I'm excited to play it again tonight.

I'll answer the easy ones.

1. You don't buy pillars, you just pick what color they are.

4. I think it's just a matter of time (2 years?) and your assistant will tell you when it happens.

7. Yes Warm Machine is working on an update right now.

I had 2 unsuccessful attempts before my winning run because I thought being conservative was the right approach but it turned out a lot better when I blew my loan immediately. Just keep a good eye on their popularity and ditch the slow sellers as soon as you can to make your money back. Buy 2 of the super popular games and sell one once they start to canabalize each others sales. Hang onto old games and put them next to their sequels as they come out. And the super player can definitely boost the popularity of a machine its just hard to notice because he usually wants to hog your newest and best seller but sometimes he goes for a classic.

Games become classics when they stop being sold in the store.

Just bought this game on the 360 last night and had a lot of fun! All of the sudden a few hours had flown by. I haven't had that happen with a game in quite some time.

I have a few questions though..

1. The pillars. When you buy them, where do they show up? Are those outside the arcade or inside?

That is for colouring the pillars and only on the inside. The landlord won't let you change the aesthetic of the outside of the building.

2. Is there ever any time you can bump the difficulty of game up to high and the cost to a dollar without people getting pissed off? No one seems to care paying a dollar for soda and music though.

$1.00 There isn't a game from 1980-1986 that you can get away with charging a dollar for without penatly. There are a few .50 cent games in there and not just the obvious ones. There are around 16 games you can set on hard without penalty. Setting a game on hard drastically increases the cash flow as players get killed off faster and have to drop another quarter in.

3. When it mentions arranging the games correctly, is there more to that besides having games up against something or grouped in the same genre?

Grouping in genre doesn't help. Only standup machine backs against walls or other machines. We were going to give you bonuses for cluster designs but it became too complicated. There is another way to make machines beside one another pay off big but you have to find it.

4. How and when does a game become a classic? How will I know which game is a classic?

We stupidly don't show you after the fact. Basically all machines become classics 3 months after they are no longer available to buy in the store. I think that your customers will even say in their word bubbles which ones are classics or at least old.

5. Does buying multiple games of the same game ever benefit you?

Yes. If you find really great popular games you can buy multiples. However, the more you buy the more the base popularity of each of them drops. You are watering down the impact.

6. Are the leaderboards only available if you have Xbox Live Gold? I can't seem to access them and I don't have Gold.

Yes. This is a Microsoft restriction. Sorry.

7. Will there be future content updates for this game?

Yes. We are working on a small one right now. A bigger one is planned to drop later all being well.

8. I'm only a couple of years into the game, how long does a full playthrough take?

It will go all the way to the end of 1986 but new games stop near the end of 85. About 4-5 hours.

9. Is there any benefit to placing your machines by the door? If there isn't, there should be. Hot/new games should be able to a bump by being placed by the door and you should be able to charge more and up the difficult because they are the main draw.

This isn't taken into account in version 1.0 We want to heatmap the floor so certain squares are naturally more valuable. Hopefully we can do this in an update.

10. Any other tips for someone just starting out?

Genres. Buy games of multiple genres.

Comments/ideas:

-It'd be cool if you could run contests as part of the seasonal promotions.
-Best 3 dollar game I've bought. Probably one of the only games worth buying at 3 bucks. I think this game could be sold for more.
-I wish there was an easier way to see the full arcade. The camera controls don't feel very responsive and admiring your arcade is part of the fun, imo.
-I'd like more information about the games in the arcade besides just genre information. It'd make things feel more immersive.
-Jukebox and soda machine seem a bit overpowered.
-Very fun game and I'm excited to play it again tonight.

The Jukebox certainly is too powerful. We will likely nerf it in the first update. Contests were in the original design but fell in favor of other mechanics.

That is for colouring the pillars and only on the inside. The landlord won't let you change the aesthetic of the outside of the building.

$1.00 There isn't a game from 1980-1986 that you can get away with charging a dollar for without penatly. There are a few .50 cent games in there and not just the obvious ones. There are around 16 games you can set on hard without penalty. Setting a game on hard drastically increases the cash flow as players get killed off faster and have to drop another quarter in.

Grouping in genre doesn't help. Only standup machine backs against walls or other machines. We were going to give you bonuses for cluster designs but it became too complicated. There is another way to make machines beside one another pay off big but you have to find it.

We stupidly don't show you after the fact. Basically all machines become classics 3 months after they are no longer available to buy in the store. I think that your customers will even say in their word bubbles which ones are classics or at least old.

Yes. If you find really great popular games you can buy multiples. However, the more you buy the more the base popularity of each of them drops. You are watering down the impact.

Yes. This is a Microsoft restriction. Sorry.

Yes. We are working on a small one right now. A bigger one is planned to drop later all being well.

It will go all the way to the end of 1986 but new games stop near the end of 85. About 4-5 hours.

This isn't taken into account in version 1.0 We want to heatmap the floor so certain squares are naturally more valuable. Hopefully we can do this in an update.

Genres. Buy games of multiple genres.

The Jukebox certainly is too powerful. We will likely nerf it in the first update. Contests were in the original design but fell in favor of other mechanics.

TYVM for answering all of my questions!!!! That was very nice of you to do. Makes me like the game even more considering the people responsible for it (you) took the time out to answer my questions. Very cool...Also the jukebox playing your own music is very, very cool...A part of me is sad when a song I like is playing and the jukebox goes out (full, power out, I have to move it). Never sure if the next song I will like as much..

Anyways, hope your game does very well!!......With no XBL I can't see where I rank but just finished a complete playthrough with 690,000 at the end of 1986.

Gaspode_T

I had some sort of slow fumbling start through 1980 to 1982 I was always squeeking by on money but near the end of 1982 things started to look up: I was able to re-hire the dude I fired, I was actually able to buy new games and I am looking forward to buying an import game for the first time in 1983. One of the first sim games I ever think I will end up playing through a second time just to have a handle on things from the start!

I am somewhere like 630 on the leaderboard, just below the giantbomb account lol

The game I want to play the most - the Joust clone...oh, how I love Joust

I think I found one of the games that you can set on Hard without penalty, based upon the hint within the game text...

Grimsen

Bought the game on sunday. I had a lot of fun.

I'm not very good yet, and have been scrounging for cash. Gonna try a new game tonight and try to diversify and spruce my arcade with upgrades.

I was grouping games by type, but I'm just going to concentrate on putting games of the same series next to each other.

Bring on 1987-1994! Tournaments! linked machines! customizable cabinets! :D

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yeah, if you have checked the Firebase website and the Arcadecraft Roadmap you will see that we really want to keep the game going. For the 240msp we think the value people can get out of the box is pretty strong but like iOS games that get constant updates, building and supporting the playerbase is essential to keeping interest and adding new players.

The new location is about 50% complete on the art side. I'd be working on it now if it were not for this new update we want to roll out that should fix many of the bugs people are encountering.

so it's only 240 points for a well-received fun sounding management sim and you guys are planning on adding more content?

bought

Don't know if anyone saw this already or not but here is the current model for the new space.

cinderblock.jpg

Sweet game! Was nice watching the evolution of it in one of the indie dev threads. Congrats on the giant bomb quick look, thats some sweet exposure. Will be checking it out asap.

i see that this is on the verge of cracking the top 10 on the top downloads/most popular list. that's pretty awesome. congrats, warm machine!

i haven't had a chance to check it out beyond a quick trial session as i am busy with work. speaking of which, i'd love to know what type of download numbers you are seeing per day hovering right outside of the top 10, warm machine. feel free to pm me if you are comfortable sharing but don't want to do it in the thread.

here's to you guys cracking the top 10 and hopefully even the top 5!

BillyBats

Banned
This game brought me right back to being a kid playing in arcades in Vegas. Pac Man Mansion to be exact. Awesome stuff, I played the shit out of it straight to the end. One of the best games I've played in some time.

Content Update 1 for Arcadecraft is up. Here is the changelist.

■6 new arcade cabinets
■1 new arcade cabinet manufacturer, “Load”
■2 new music tracks in the Jukebox.
■Jukebox fixed so it properly cycles music.
■16 8-bit ambient jingles for the arcade machines
■A new animation when you kick out the Angry Gamer
■1 New wall customization colour (purple)
■1 new pillar customization colour (purple)
■Controls on the isometric angles changed/improved.
■New props and artwork surrounding the Arcade.
■Neon changed slightly to be more glassy and visable.
■Hot Square now flashes and makes a sound as it is about to disappear.
■Support for 5000 scores on the scoreboard.
■Scoreboard now has your current date and current gross in addition to your best Gross.
■Alex Hoarder Code 4 sales bug is fixed we think.
■Alex Hoarder will now not try to buy the same game off you over and over.
■French region Code 4 Stats bug fix.
■A “Classic Medal” UI element in the top hud when you have a “Classic” machine selected
■Alex Hoarder
■Tweaked payouts depending on machine settings.
■Start button cash drain exploit fixed.
■Fade to white changed to black when viewing machine info.
■6 new “Milestones” (Faux Acheivements) to try to get.
■Polar Diver fixed to look like a proper Camping Machine.
■Various bug fixes and art improvements

Sorry for the epic bump but a new free content update was just released. It contains...

4 new Pinball Machines
10 new standup machines
1 new cockpit machine
1 new import machine
1 extra year of simulation

Audio changes and additions.
Popularity per game genre dropped
Pinball added as new genre
A per year randomization of game release dates.
Employee works faster and harder.
Machines in storage don't count against machines on the floor.

Minor tweaks and fixes.

Top Bottom