• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcadia (Skies of/Eternal) - What's wrong with it.

Tsubaki

I'm making this a counter to the other thread, as well as making this the place to better explain what's wrong with the game. For the record, I've played through and own the US Dreamcast game. So everything is from that viewpoint.

I don't hate Arcadia, but I think there's a lot to dislike. I acknowledge there are some great things about Arcadia - the space pirate setting, the light-hearted tone, the customization of your base, the well-written story (note: the plot itself was utterly predictable for anyone familiar with Japanese plots, but the way it's told is quite well-written and better than most RPGs)... and unlike most Arcadia haters, I have a really different view of battles. I enjoyed the regular battle system, well at least when it came to bosses. "Do I skip my turn with Aika and thus build up my SP so that next turn, Vyse can use his special move? Or do I attack right now because I know I can do some damage this turn? Or perhaps I should just turtle just in case the boss targets me..." Decisions like this kept me engrossed with the fights.

But I didn't really enjoy the airship fights at all. The fact that you knew what the enemy was up to made these battles incredibly dull. I'm not exactly sure why this was a high point in many people's view. The airship battles dragged out way too long with minimum thinking and little risk in anything you did. That's one negative against the game, but my real beef mainly stems from the majority of the game.

Random battles suck. I hate random battles and do not believe they have any place in gaming anymore. In fact, they never should have... it was only tolerated for so long because we didn't know any better. Then games like Chrono Trigger came out, and proved that it didn't have to be that way.

But what's worse isn't just the random battles. It's the insane frequency of them that ruins Arcadia. Is it really fun to people to have to fight useless battles every 3 seconds? Is it somehow a better game because now the playtime is artificially extended? Let's be honest here. In any RPG, it's rare that you will die through a normal battle, even after fighting many succesive ones. Some games like Breath of Fire II make life difficult for you from the get-go, but Arcadia is not one of these. So the only purpose it serves is to make the game easier (leveling up when you don't necessarily want to) and making the game longer.

I remember I started running away from battles not because I was terrified for my life, but simply because I was sick of monotonously slaying the enemy only to encounter another and another. Later I learned that the game screws you by decreasing your reputation because you run away from battles. Lovely game design folks.

By the beginning of disc 2 (and depending on the way you play, you could have done this by the end of disc 1), all the enemies on the overworld could die before you in one turn. So the irritation is further increased by the fact that you're so vastly overpowered to the random overworld monster. Yet they keep on coming, as if only to piss you off and interrupt your travel.

And who could forget discoveries... cool concept right? Fly all over the world jamming on the A-button to see if you bumped into an invisible trick. Whee~ How about the way the game punishes you for looking for them by throwing enemy after enemy in your face (see first two points)? Is that supposed to be fun? Or is it supposed to be a deterrent from you finding bonus things about the game? Oh it's a deterrent alright, from playing the stupid game.

Finally, their solution to their jacked up encounter rate was an item which allows you to float above or below the clouds and encounter nothing. Good going Sega. Too bad it's no replacement for no-battles. To either progress in the game, or to find most discoveries, you're forced to still fly in the enemy-infested areas. Wow, thanks. Even Overworks couldn't solve its own problems.

So there you have it. The game looked and sounded pretty good. The story/plot elements played out nicely, albeit in a predictable fashion. But people forget that RPGs are still 80-90% battles, because that's how much time you're actually in them. And it's in this area the game is ruined. Sure the boss battles were fun to me, but the insane encounter rate tested my patience on many an occasion. Whatever good points the game had were soon forgotten once you were in the middle of playing it. That's what's wrong with the game.

wipeout364

I agree with your complaints about the random battle frequency. I actually stopped playing the game about 30 hours out or so because of this. I remember this one area where I would fight a battle then take three steps sometimes and be thrown back into battle. I liked alot about the game but random battles really irk me and this game was over the top with them.

Well one of the biggest things they changed for the Gamecube version was the massive amount of random battles. I've never played the Dreamcast version, but I'd say I was pretty happy with the encounter rate for the GC version.

Jumpman

I actually just finished playing through SoA:Legends on GC. I agree with most of your points, but I can't hate on it quite as much as you do, well maybe, here goes. I must agree that the random battles occured way, WAY to frequently. I can put up with this problem in a lot of RPG's but not in this one. These battles were made infinitely more monotonous because of their lack of anything resembling a challenge. I actually really liked the battle system, but it's quality was wasted because the games lack of difficulty never forced you to use strategy. Also I got sick of waiting for the camera to go through all its extraneous motions during every battle. It just made things drag on forever. The ship battles were even worse, sometimes lasting in an upwards of 45 minutes, just to execute a handful of turns. These problems made it difficult to play this game for more than 1 or two hours at a time. Usually RPG's pull me in, and I can (and do) literally play all day. I'm usually a hard line completist, but I skipped trying to find all of the discoveries because 10 more hours of braindead random battles did not appeal to me.

Wrapping up the negatives on this game leads me to the graphics. I thought they were terribly inconsistent. They were way below the level of other games I own on Dreamcast, yet had a few nice moments. At worst this game had the texture variety of something between the N64 and PS1 and was about as aestheticlly pleasing as a box full of vomit. At best this game was not to far behind the average PS2 game, with some locals that inspired a little bit of awe. It's like they had 1 good artist doing some parts, while they had one of the worst handling the rest. Vyse and De Loco looked stupid, while Aika and Drachma were nicely done. To sum up the graphics and art: wildly inconsistent.

Overall, Skies was a slightly above average game that could have been great with a couple of major tweaks. It will not be joining Sword of Vermillion and the Phantasy Star series as one of Sega's elite and wonderful RPG's

MrSingh

I played the DC version when the game was first released but I never completed the game since I gave the game to my brother. I liked it, but it the random battles were too frequent. Should I bother picking up the GC version?

Bobety

I played the GC version and i completely agree with pretty much everything people are saying about all the negative parts of the game, but despite the flaws i still LOVE it, it remains my favourite GC game because for me at least, the good parts far outweighed the bad.

This a nice troll thread. Someone dares make a post that indicates that they like a game, so you respond with a negative post to explain why they're wrong. Nice. After all, it's not like a game can actually be GOOD, and doesn't need an entire thread created just for pointlessly negative comments that are only going to annoy people that like the game.

AniHawk

Neutron Night said:
This a nice troll thread. Someone dares make a post that indicates that they like a game, so you respond with a negative post to explain why they're wrong. Nice. After all, it's not like a game can actually be GOOD, and doesn't need an entire thread created just for pointlessly negative comments that are only going to annoy people that like the game.

Who the fuck are you and what have you done with Neutron Night?

belgurdo

Banned

Can I quote you the next time you troll a game thread yourself?

NLB2

Banned
I'm at the moment playing through SoA:L for the first time and I'm loving it immensely. The random battle parts really don't bother me that much. I just equip the White Map accesory on Vyse and I can circumnavigate the globe in three or four battles.

Jumpman

NLB2 said:
I'm at the moment playing through SoA:L for the first time and I'm loving it immensely. The random battle parts really don't bother me that much. I just equip the White Map accesory on Vyse and I can circumnavigate the globe in three or four battles.

Yeah, I should have used that more often, but I kept thinking that I would need to be at a higher level later in the game so I didn't use it much. Turns out, I didn't need to be leveled up at all. I got my characters to about level 45, but probably could have just as easily passed it with level 20 characters.

GhaleonEB

I love the game enough that all I'm going to say to this is, go fuck yourself. I can't stand people who spend that much effort tearing down something so many people find beautiful.

Heh, I'm also playing SoA for the first time (as Legends), and I agree with most everything already posted. This is this generation's Lunar: fun story, great characters (though Vyse's highly upbeat attitude can get damned annoying at times), and a broken engine. This battle system is great for boss battles, but hell for everything else. Fun, but forgettable.

SKluck

Banned
Loved the game, favorite console rpg.

But yeah, some things were just so drawn out. Like ship battles. You fire off a volley, and the camera does like 5 sweeps of the ship and the hit. WTF? Just show it once. Random battles is overblown and overexaggerated, some of you guys' memories are fuzzy. But yeah, it was a problem. Not a game killer.

I love this game. It is simply beautiful in so many ways. Random battles were not as bad on the Gamecube version (the one I played) and I thoroughly enjoyed the airship battles. The only thing I didn't like about them was that you could basically heal yourself indefinitely on every turn basically making the battles all too easy. But that is nitpicking. This truly is an A++ game in my book. Vyse, Aika, Fina: LOVE U 4 EVA!

I'm oblivious. I played throught the entire game, and it didn't even dawn on me that the encounter rate was high until I saw the people of the internet react.

Gattsu25

Banned
The Shadow said:
Why didn't you just post in the other thead? You really think this deserved it's own thread?

What a waste.

because he didn't want to turn the other thread into another useless arguement, are you that thick?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The encounter rate was ridiculously high in that south ocean area (the one with all the whirlwinds)... took me an hour to get through to get to Horteka, constantly barraged by those enemies who cast Eterni to kill my guys in one hit. I was ready to throw the game out the window at that point... but, the encounter rate in the dungeons is pretty light, actually... At the end of the game, it's nice to fly above the clouds or below the surface, as to avoid random battles. The rest of the game is fantastic, for reasons all of its fellow fans mentioned above, but the south ocean area is torture :p (I played the Dreamcast version...)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
No, it's not really the encounter rate or the random battles that makes SoA tedious, it's the painfully slow battle system, with too many unskippable attacks and similar.

Alex

I liked the Air Pirate theme for what it's worth, and the ridiculously optimistic/goody-goody GameArts esque cast. Rock. The fruity, but fun ending was neato as well.

Some of the side bits were really fun too. Reputation was kind of a novel concept to work towards, ship battles were greeaatttt, but man, I wish they were a bit more challenging. :(

But, IMO the game as a whole was fairly generic and by the numbers, espically for something so hyped up by fans. Everything from the world design to the combat system just felt 15 years old when the game was released back on DC.

I'm usually one who digs around for redeeming features, nuances in battle systems/dungeons/whatever really, because you get a lot of said retracing in JRPG's obviously, but Skies really didn't go far enough WITH it's theme, it's really dissapointing. Basicly, you could remove the sky, replace it with ocean and take the engines off the ships, and practicly have fuckin' Golden Sun as far as a world goes Not seeing how unique that is, it comes across mostly as a gimmick to me.

Also, the side elements either just weren't there, or were incredibly lame. Such as the overworld exploration. Nor did they offer any decent character development whatsoever, which is what really, really made it feel stale combat wise. Progression felt the same as it did back in 1992 on FFII/IV.

Some of the borderline imaginary features (town building, crew building) that rabid fans oddly choose to bring up as debates for it's gameplay would've been an uber thing to have fleshed out, and not just present in the form of mild easter-eggs at best.

The GC version did address some of the clunkiness and random battle issues though, along with adding some really decent side bits, such as the bounty hunting. Such a simple feature that was really, really fun to kill time with on the side.

And the original game had some neat traits. But yeah, I did enjoy it, but I can't say I understand the massive love from some folks, then again, It's not much different from my love for Lunar 1 or Suikoden II I guess. :p

I love the extreme crybabies though. "Fuck the haters" comedic gold. How nerdishly wrapped up in a game did you get to have to slam your head down into the sand and try to pretend everything everyone constantly bashes SoA for is just to piss you off? I mean, there's the GA factor, but barring that.

I swear though, it's starting to seem like lots of Skies fans = Xeno fans by the way they act, that is.

Screaming "it's not true!" just seems to be an easier form of debate, I guess. I like a lot of games I should consider shitty, but at least I'm man enough to admit flaws/massive flaws within them and try and explain what I do dig at least, or why it caught on with me, isn't that kinda the goddamn point of a FORUM?

Maybe at least then you'd convince some folks to give it a second chance by not acting like a freak.

I remember we used to actually have Xeno debates, until everyone realized the Xeno fans were responding to massive write ups with basicly "nuh uh!" and the series became a forum joke. :p

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Alex said:
I remember we used to actually have Xeno debates, until everyone realized the Xeno fans were responding to massive write ups with basicly "nuh uh!" and the series became a forum joke. :p

I think it became a "forum joke" more because of the elitist snobs that resides at GAF. Not to say some Xeno fans didn't have a part in it, of course.

firex

Nah, it became a forum joke after it was scientifically proven that the Xeno series sucks. Just place either Xeno game and some other game on the other end of a table, and the other game will be pulled in toward the Xeno game.

FoneBone

I traded SOA:L in partway through the game, and don't regret it -- the battles were just too repetitive for my tastes, and the game felt like a chore.

Finished it last night. Thought I'd post my impressions:

The story of Vyse and his band of Rogues is a heavily clichéd yet interesting one. What keeps it interesting is the way the story is told. Not to mention it’s practically a videogame retelling of Miyazaki’s Castle in the Sky, which ain’t a bad thing at all. Sure it basically becomes a glorified fetch quest, but the way the story is fleshed out reminds me a LOT of a Game Arts game. That overwhelmingly fun sense of discovery as you travel to new and exotic locations – never knowing where you’ll end up next, the sky pirate trappings, and the fun and interesting characters you meet along the way kept me entertained throughout.

Speaking of characters, they are easily the game’s strongest aspect. Well, except for Vyse himself, but more on that in a minute. Much like GA games, the characters here are adventurous, fun-loving kids who make up for whatever shortcomings the plot may have with their flair, style, and ridiculous optimism. It’s fun going along with these kids and watching them grow, especially characters like Fina and Enrique. Yet there are some characters, like Vyse, who are so saccharine it’s annoying. Being upbeat and optimistic is one thing, but when it’s the ONLY personality trait you show for the entire game, it becomes grating. But I digress – the characters are indeed the best thing about this game, and helped me stick with it to the end.

Ah, and that last sentence implied something, didn’t it? Simply put, this game is BUSTED. Though the GC version does address some of the issues like the insanely high encounter rate, Legends really has some glaring fundamental flaws. Let’s start with the battle system. While it works great in boss battles, forcing you to plan out your next moves carefully (go for Vyse’s S.Move, or play it safe and have Aika protect everyone?), it is hell on regular battles. This is a fairly easy RPG, and because the enemies pose almost no threat at all there is almost no fun to be had in fighting them. And since battles make up about 85% of playtime in an RPG, this doesn’t exactly translate into a fun experience.

Unique to the Arcadian world and a nifty diversion from normal battles, is the ship combat. These start out pretty fun, working out like boss battles in terms of strategy, but they quickly fall apart once you’ve seen your 1000th sweeping camera pan over the battle field and you’ve gotten the Delphinus. See, some genius had the idea to give you the uber-powerful airship not even half-way through the game, thereby brushing any challenge an airship battle would have away with a Moonstone Cannon blast. Even Zelos was a chore to beat.

From an aesthetic standpoint, the game is a very mixed bag. Character designs and art are topnotch, but their in-game counterparts sometimes look barely up to Dreamcast standards. Much like Final Fantasy X, main characters look decent enough, but other characters look abysmally like N64 rejects. Luckily, the various locales of Arcadia don’t suffer the same fate. Places like Ixa’taka, Nasr, and Yafutoma all look spectacular. It should also be mentioned that the various Gigas themselves, especially the blue Gigas, look quite stunning.

In keeping with the old-school feeling SoA is trying to convey, the game doesn’t feature any real voice-acting, and I actually prefer it that way – if only because the random voice snippets sound awful. Musically, the game is also a little hit or miss. A lot of the location music in the game is good, but forgettable. Same goes for character themes. Where the music shines though, is the battle themes. The last RPG I played that had battle themes this good was Lunar 2.

Overall, Skies of Arcadia is a decent adventure for the Game Arts gamer. Fun story, great characters, but the system itself needs work. It flies, but on broken wings.

FoneBone

Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt, although the minuses completely outweighed the pluses for me. 27 or so hours in, the battles had gotten so tedious that playing the game felt like a chore. I traded the game in (and got BG&E for cheaper) and don't regret it at all.

here's the thing...I never finished it for DC and got equally as far in the NGC version, the part where you have to fly through these tornatoes to get to the tree village. The random battles in that part just annoied the hell out of me in both versions, mybe my memory is a bit fuzzy but the random encounters didn't seem to change form NGC to DC...or at least enought to make note of.

NLB2

Banned
For all of you complaining about the battles being annoying, I hear you. They really were. The thing is, they're not neccesary. Once you get to around level 20, you can beat just about any boss with good strategy and the right sp moves. And you get the white map. It lowers the frequency of battles greatly and lets you escape from all of them on one attempt. I just ran through dungeons ignoring enemies except for the bosses.

Joeholley

I played the DC version for approximately 15 hours before I sadly had to put it away. I loved the art, concepts, and story, but I just could no longer take the random battles on the overworld. This was compounded by the fact that each one took like 60 seconds- too many unskippable attacks, character repositionings, camera pans, etc. I wanted to like this game so much that when I got my DC PAR, I looked for codes that would lower the encounter rate or allow for one hit kills or ANYTHING to speed up the fights, but there was nothing of the sort. I sold my copy with a heavy heart.

Trevelyon

"Fly all over the world jamming on the A-button to see if you bumped into an invisible trick."

Urgh!

I quite literally tore out my hair looking for a way into the Rixis temple, which at the time requires you to make 3 discoveries before you can enter. It was my first run through and I had no idea about hitting the 'A' button over the exact location of the discovery.

Even when I caught on, finding discoveries was still rather time consuming & frustrating, especially with a battle every 30 seconds or so & the massive map.

Top Bottom