• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any rogue-like/nethack-like games for PS2?

Vieo

You know, a good dungeon crawler like rogue/nethack, with lot's of randomized stuff? No imports. I refuse to get my console modded! =P

edit: I played Azure Dreams on PS1. Didn't like it! If there was a sequel, did the series get any better?

You said no imports - which is ironic because the only one I can think of is the Tower of Druaga sequel. :p I thought when I played it "Man! This aint Druaga.. it's nethack!"

Vieo

You said no imports - which is ironic because the only one I can think of is the Tower of Druaga sequel. :p I thought when I played it "Man! This aint Druaga.. it's nethack!"

Bah! I guess that means no U.S. release scheduled?

Not sure.. I saw a few threads happening on it - it's called nightmare of druaga, there's a thread I didn't see on page 1 right now. :)

Yeah, Druaga's coming out here. I posted some messy impressions of it in the other thread. I quite liked it.

Torneko: The Lost Hope for PS1 is probably the closest to what you're looking for. There's a PS2 sequel, but it hasn't been localized.

Have you tried Dark Cloud 2 or Crimson Tears? They've got the whole random dungeons/loot thing going on.

Scott

Unfortunately, the only localized Rogue-likes are on PSOne, and there's only 3 even then -- Azure Dreams, Torneko, and:

Chocobo's Dungeon II
chodung2_5.jpg
chodung2_12.jpg

chodung2_13.jpg
chodung2_10.jpg

chodung2_7.jpg
chodung2_14.jpg

Averages a 66.2% on GameRankings.

Other than that, there's The Nightmare of Druaga for PS2, which is getting localized later this year. Slim pickings, just like with the Shooter/RPG hybrids. :\

Alex

I'm really interested in that Druaga game. I love dungeon crawls, and it sounds like it really fits the bill for me.

Dark Cloud 2 is absolutely a roguelike, and I believe DC1 is as well. They're realtime and they do a good job of hiding their nature, but that's what they are in essence. Also check out Azure Dreams. It's a pretty decent roguelike for PS1.

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter isn't really a roguelike, but the entire game is a dungeon, and it's definitely worth a look.

Top Bottom