• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asphalt 8 |OT| of Burnout done right in your pocket

Peterthumpa

I'm posting from my iPad (how fitting) so this OT will be really simple, maybe I'll edit it later. But why an OT for a Gameloft game, you say? Well, I was one of the guys who always bashed Gameloft for copycating games here and there, but after 4 years setting new standards for mobile games, and millions of dollars earned, like it or not, it seems that they're getting the hang of it.

9s3T5FL.png

Title: Asphalt 8
Developer: Gameloft Barcelona
Platforms: iOS, Android
Release date: August 22nd (iOS), probably on Android in the same date
Price: $ 0.99. IAPs are available (but far from needed)

Asphalt 8 has finally an identity of its own, and should be a surprise to many, many core gamers when it releases next week. Impressions are great from all media sources, the game supposedly has no forced IAPs and it's simple what everyone could expect from an official, Criterion made Burnout for mobile phones. But as I said before, the game now has its own identity and the Burnout comparisons should be put to rest.

Expect a lot of jumps and plenty of different ways to finish races by using various shortcuts and platforms scattered around the tracks. Race with an all new roster of 47 licensed cars, ranging from street rides to super cars from the best manufacturers in the world.

Graphically the game is hugely improved, dust accumulates while driving on dirty tracks, console-quality motion blur kicks in for better sense of speed, physics are now Havok powered and there's even time shifted multiplayer, a la Real Racing 3.

Screenshots:

Asphalt8_1_1500.jpg

Asphalt8_4_1500.jpg

Asphalt8_3_1500.jpg

Asphalt8_2_1500.jpg

asphalt8_835101b.png

Here's a gameplay video of the final build:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sNEH4MKKGC4

Another one (15 minutes long):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=x9KQhlkDTHU

Reviews:

GameReactor (10/10):
http://translate.google.com/transla....dk/anmeldelser/174874/Asphalt+8%3A+Airborne/ (translated by Google Translate)

iMore:
http://www.imore.com/asphalt-8-airborne-review-burn-rubber-ways-physics-never-intended

Finally, with the new controller support coming to iOS 7 (and already possible on Android) expect future updates that could enable external controllers for those who can't stand touch or gyro controls. Gameloft is building a fame for itself for long supporting its flagship titles like Asphalt, NOVA and Modern Combat.

I'll try to make a better OP during this weekend from a computer and with more images/information.

8th times the charm?

I remember reading the fourth one was incredible, and I hated it. I'll take a wait and see on this one - though admittedly the video looks nice.

SmokyDave

I'm in. I've picked up all the Asphalt games on iOS (and the Vita game) and I generally enjoy them. Not the best arcade racers out there, but I find them charming.

Looks amusing. They should put it out on 3DS.
No, they should put it on the handheld that can actually run it without needing to gut it to pieces.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks nice enough but they've yet to deliver even reasonably good mechanics yet in these games so I don't have much faith here.

Peterthumpa

Looks nice enough but they've yet to deliver even reasonably good mechanics yet in these games so I don't have much faith here.
They specially said that one of the goals with this new installment was to give a real console feel to the game. They're using Havok for physics, and videos show a pretty good feeling about it too. I'm confident.

Peterthumpa

Make it as pretty as you like but if it handles like shit then what's the point?
Watch the videos, handling is vastly superior than anything in the series so far. The drift mechanics are more akin now to the latest Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, so if you liked that...

tracks have a crazy good old school arcade vibe. Too bad I hate touch control. Just give me this for Vita or something, I'm a sucker for arcade racing games

Peterthumpa

will wait for the bluetooth controller support before playing any of these games.
If the price is right (and for less than 10 bucks for everything that this game seems to offer its for sure a huge value for the money) I really think you should give it a chance. Also because controller support will probably be added down the road after iOS 7.

I wish we had this on VIta

It's one of the craziest things that Gameloft didn't just go all-out with their library on Vita. Sure, costs of porting etc., but it'd be negligible compared to the money they'd make filling niches and holes in the PSN Vita library.

Always baffled me.

Anyway, this looks like fun. Looking forward to checking it out.

Exile20

It's one of the craziest things that Gameloft didn't just go all-out with their library on Vita. Sure, costs of porting etc., but it'd be negligible compared to the money they'd make filling niches and holes in the PSN Vita library.

Always baffled me.

They make far more money on mobile than they could ever think to make on Vita.

Peterthumpa

every asphalt game looks good, i still haven't found one that plays 'just right'. something about turning never felt smooth.
Not really, Asphalt 7 was the first game to look ok, all games before were kinda simple given the power of the devices when it launched at that time. Asphalt 8 really seems to be pushing mobile graphics though, it looks gorgeous and rivals any Vita game easily.

You should try to play this new entry, physics and handling is something that they took their time to improve.

Dural

Bought 5&6 on my old phone and went to download them on my new phone (HTC ONE) but it's not supported. Not sure if I want to get this when they seem to stop supporting the old games to get you to buy the new ones. There's no reason why the ONE shouldn't be able to play those games.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
That looks really nice, but the controls are what would keep me away. I'd seriously consider getting an Nvidia Shield or that rumored Amazon/Google box (love arcade racers) if games like this supported normal controls. Those graphics are amazing though. I can't believe how far mobile games have come.

If the price is right (and for less than 10 bucks for everything that this game seems to offer its for sure a huge value for the money) I really think you should give it a chance. Also because controller support will probably be added down the road after iOS 7.

nope, hated previous games, NFS Most Wanted and Real Racings :D

BigDug13

Always baffled me.

Their games are all too close to other console franchises. If they started encroaching into the console spaces, I suspect they'll start getting litigated out of their nest egg to the point where it's just not worth it. They don't seem to get bothered in the mobile space and they make good money.

winjet81

Had it been a game for the major consoles, deserved it's probably an 8, but because it fits so perfectly to the iPad with its relatively short running and enormously high quick fix-factor, so get it a 9 here

Games like this get punished for being on Vita and 3DS because they're not of current gen console quality... but on iOS a free pass is given?

Okaaayyy.

Peterthumpa

Bought 5&6 on my old phone and went to download them on my new phone (HTC ONE) but it's not supported. Not sure if I want to get this when they seem to stop supporting the old games to get you to buy the new ones. There's no reason why the ONE shouldn't be able to play those games.
It's not a Gameloft exclusivity though. Need for Speed Most Wanted still isn't support on the One too.

BigDug13

Games like this get punished for being on Vita and 3DS because they're not of current gen console quality... but on iOS a free pass is given?

Okaaayyy.

I don't recall games that looked like this that costed $0.99 on Vita or 3DS. Or consoles.

Dural

It's not a Gameloft exclusivity though. Need for Speed Most Wanted still isn't support on the One too.

Ya, I've noticed. Was one of the other games I went to download but couldnt. All the vector unit games I've bought work though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No Vita version? Graphics are really impressive, though the Vita version of one of the games at launch seemed a bit too basic sadly, definitely not up to proper handheld game standards I'd expect. Nevertheless, still better than Modnation Racers ^^.

It has more content right? You have to pay for a lot of stuff in the mobile versions which explains the low point of entry.

You do not have to pay anything extra if you do not want to. Just play the game.

I am finishing Asphalt 7 right now and I only spend $0.99 for the game. Sure there are speed-ups packs of money/rep available if you want to unlock things asap but everything is unlocked in the career. Sure there is some grinding at the end of it but not much.

I will get this if it comes to WP8.

(I also have the Vita port - Ubisoft - but that is really bad and badly priced).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I, too, have the Vita port of 6. If anyone wants to help me get the online achievements, PM me.

As for 8, man, it's time to upgrade my phone. The iPhone 5S can't come soon enough, hopefully it has more storage. I have a 64GB 4S, and I only have about 6GB left, lol.

I actually quite enjoyed the Vita version, which was basically just a port of the 3DS version... of the iOS game. Its crash physics were dreadful which made it hilarious. Like a throwback to Cruis'n USA.

SmokyDave

There already is an Asphalt game on Vita. It released at full retail price...
I know, I bought it at £6.29!

It wasn't full retail though if I remember correctly. It launched at £19.99 I think.

Asphalt 7 is .79€ iirc.

edit. oh, the Vita version. nevermind then.
I know it was. I was actually referring to the iOS version though, I think that one will be around a fiver. Absolute low-ball would be £2.49. It certainly won't be 69p.

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
Hey all I'm a Community Manager for Gameloft and just wanted to let you all know, since it seems you had questions about it, that the $0.99 price is confirmed for launch on August 22nd.

Hope those that pick up A8 enjoy it and thanks for the thread OP!

Proof I am who I say I am.

I really like Asphalt 7, it's the first game where I always feel in control, 6 was alright too but 5 and 4 were icky.

Looking forward to this next week.

Top Bottom