• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asphalt 8 |OT| of Burnout done right in your pocket

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
Random suggestion, but how about a downloadable version for consoles and PC? I'd buy it.

It's a neat suggestion! Not sure we have anything in the works currently but we are always looking for new ways that players are interested in playing our games :)

EDIT: I would be a huge fan as I am a big PC gamer myself when not at work, haha!

Peterthumpa

Hey all I'm a Community Manager for Gameloft and just wanted to let you all know, since it seems you had questions about it, that the $0.99 price is confirmed for launch on August 22nd.

Hope those that pick up A8 enjoy it and thanks for the thread OP!

Proof I am who I say I am.
Nice too see you here Ryan :)

New gameplay videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0t7ybs0c6dg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fpz4Mc2owSE (featuring local multiplayer between different devices)

Gold_Loot

Hey all I'm a Community Manager for Gameloft and just wanted to let you all know, since it seems you had questions about it, that the $0.99 price is confirmed for launch on August 22nd.

Hello Ryan , nice to see you here. I used to scoff at anything mobile game related until I recently purchased my HTC one. I must say, the folks at Gameloft have come a long way in the past few years . I have been enjoying Modern Combat 4 as well as Nova 3, and I'm really curious about this newest asphalt. Looking forward to it.

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
Hello Ryan , nice to see you here. I used to scoff at anything mobile game related until I recently purchased my HTC one. I must say, the folks at Gameloft have come a long way in the past few years . I have been enjoying Modern Combat 4 as well as Nova 3, and I'm really curious about this newest asphalt. Looking forward to it.

Thanks all for the welcome! The HTC One is a nice phone, if I had an upgrade now I'd look to scoop it up (and subsequently root it).

Glad you're enjoying our games and we are really hoping people enjoy Asphalt 8. I'm pretty amped for the launch, since it's my first with Gameloft. It's been neat to experience our older games and see the progression to the newer ones!

hmmm i recall 7 launched at a dollar too.

hope there are some cars in this of my 'pay grade' lol. I tend to actually enjoy messing around with slower cars in racers more than the super fast ones ;)

Much as I love iPad youtube videos I wish reviewers would play these games on a widescreen iPhone 5 or iPod Touch.

Seriously it's like everyone out there reviews on an iPad 2 or 4.

mclem

This does remind me of something that's been niggling me lately:

Is there any way to - legitimately - get older Gameloft titles onto my hardware? I'm a collector, and I'm very interested in the history and evolution of games, so I've got a notable desire to play earlier games in the series - but all too often, the options aren't there. I look on the Play store; where's Modern Combat 1? Where are Asphalts prior to 6? Where's N.O.V.A 1 HD?

I'm aware they're a bit ropey (to say the least!), but they're still of minor historical interest, and that matters to me. Is preservation of older titles a significant problem for mobile, as companies constantly push the newest content?

Peterthumpa

Is there any way to - legitimately - get older Gameloft titles onto my hardware? I'm a collector, and I'm very interested in the history and evolution of games, so I've got a notable desire to play earlier games in the series - but all too often, the options aren't there. I look on the Play store; where's Modern Combat 1? Where are Asphalts prior to 6? Where's N.O.V.A 1 HD?

I'm aware they're a bit ropey (to say the least!), but they're still of minor historical interest, and that matters to me. Is preservation of older titles a significant problem for mobile, as companies constantly push the newest content?

Maube you should try to look for the apk files... don't know if all of them will be compatible though.

Some new pics, Gameloft courtesy:

bQkcUf9.jpg

sY5E0o6.jpg

puNwUnb.jpg

mclem

Maube you should try to look for the apk files... don't know if all of them will be compatible though.

Oh, I've found dozens of 'em from... less reputable sites. I'd prefer to remain legal, though!

Compatability is another obstacle, of course. I did get a copy of NOVA 1 from Orange's 'two free games a month' promo... and then I was somewhat surprised to find it was a 2D platformer, I *assume* the non-Smart version of the game. I was also somewhat surprised that it actually *worked* despite that, albeit in a tiny window!

Chibi-Gherkin!

I wonder how well this series does financially.
Given that there's eight titles, it seems reasonable to assume "Well enough".

antitrop

Hmmm, this game does seem pretty legit.

The only mobile arcade racer I've ever played was Burnout Legends on my PSP.

Hmmm, this game does seem pretty legit.

The only mobile arcade racer I've ever played was Burnout Legends on my PSP.

6 and 7 were good racers, the ones before that always felt like there was a flaw or got so fast you could not control the cars well and were better off riding walls around corners, but the later games improved that problem a lot.

I would say look up gameplay footage of asphalt 7 but you will just get iPad reviewers from a year+ ago crashing into things in tier 1 and 2 cars which are slow.

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
$0.99 seems suspiciously cheap, is it heavy on in-app purchases?

All of the early reviews of it I have seen say that the optional IAPs aren't forced and you can make it through the game by just investing time in it. They feel that, similar to A7, it isn't pay-to-win which I'm really happy to hear!

Also as someone who has played it a fair amount already, I started with a fresh account and have just been making my way through the game and haven't purchased any IAPs, or felt the need to.

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member

Interesting question: To be honest off the top of my head, other than purchasing those older games, I don't know of another way to track down any of ours that is legal. Over on TouchArcade a user asked a question in the sales/promotions section if we would consider having a sale for some of our older titles that are still popular. I've since submitted that suggestion because it's cool to know there are people like you are who are interested in these games.

I can't make any promises, of course, but if we do have a sale for some of our older games I can take some of the credit, right? :p

SmokyDave

All of the early reviews of it I have seen say that the optional IAPs aren't forced and you can make it through the game by just investing time in it. They feel that, similar to A7, it isn't pay-to-win which I'm really happy to hear!

Also as someone who has played it a fair amount already, I started with a fresh account and have just been making my way through the game and haven't purchased any IAPs, or felt the need to.
Nice one chap, I look forward to picking it up.

Wonko_C

The screens look unbelievably good, I don't really think the Vita would be able to handle graphics at this level, and I say that as a proud Vita owner.

All I could afford in the past months was an iPhone 4 on the same week Asphalt 7 was free and, while it often goes sub30fps and it looks flat compared to Asphalt Injection on Vita it's still extremely playable, and for some reason much more fun than the Vita one.

The control scheme in where steering is done by touching the edges of the screen and where there are 2 brake pedals (one for each side of the screen) is very easy to grasp for someone like me who is new at this smartphone stuff and plays arcade racers with d-pad/analog stick.

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
0,99$? Sounds awesome, also does it run on Note2?

Yep $0.99 is correct. I haven't gotten a comprehensive device list for Android just yet but since the Note 2 is still pretty new, I'd lean towards yes it should. Google demoed A8 running on the brand new Nexus 7 and I don't think the Note 2 is that far behind, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Hey, Ryan :D Is the game releasing on the 22nd for sure on the Play Store as well? Game looks great. Also, is there some sort of interactivity between both iOS and Android games? Like, some sort of friend tracker? I think I remember Asphalt 7 having something similar but I'm not completely sure.

Peterthumpa

Yep $0.99 is correct. I haven't gotten a comprehensive device list for Android just yet but since the Note 2 is still pretty new, I'd lean towards yes it should. Google demoed A8 running on the brand new Nexus 7 and I don't think the Note 2 is that far behind, correct me if I'm wrong though.

The new Nexus 7 is basically the same hardware as the current Nexus 4, but pushing 1080p with it's Snapdragon S4 Pro. While the Note 2's Mali 400MP is slower, it has a lot less pixels to render (720p), so performance should be pretty similar.

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
Hey, Ryan :D Is the game releasing on the 22nd for sure on the Play Store as well? Game looks great. Also, is there some sort of interactivity between both iOS and Android games? Like, some sort of friend tracker? I think I remember Asphalt 7 having something similar but I'm not completely sure.

Yep, as of right now we are still good to release it on the 22nd for both Android and iOS. Usually our games don't have cross platform play, due to different servers, but there will be ways to keep track of your friends on the same OS. I know A8 is actually our first game launching with Google Play Game Services from the start, so I'm excited about that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yep, as of right now we are still good to release it on the 22nd for both Android and iOS. Usually our games don't have cross platform play, due to different servers, but there will be ways to keep track of your friends on the same OS. I know A8 is actually our first game launching with Google Play Game Services from the start, so I'm excited about that.

That nice.

will this game run fine on Nvidia Shield (since it's not Tegra optimized)?

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
That nice.

will this game run fine on Nvidia Shield (since it's not Tegra optimized)?

We aren't officially supporting our games on the Nvidia Shield yet. I know a lot of people have had some luck porting our games to their Shields, either through Amazon or Google, with varying control support. I honestly can't say how Asphalt 8 will do on a Shield if someone chooses to try putting it on their device after it launches.

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
Ryan, as a side note, are all the winners for the pre-launch giveaway from the blog promotion already chosen?

No we haven't picked the pre-launch winner. We are only selecting the one today. I'm not sure what time we are doing it yet but I'll edit this post once we have! So basically still feel free to go enter if you're interested at a shot of a code before we launch A8!

EDIT: We are leaving it open it looks like until the end of today, the 19th so please feel free to enter if you haven't already!

Win Asphalt 8 blog post

Peterthumpa

We aren't officially supporting our games on the Nvidia Shield yet. I know a lot of people have had some luck porting our games to their Shields, either through Amazon or Google, with varying control support. I honestly can't say how Asphalt 8 will do on a Shield if someone chooses to try putting it on their device after it launches.

If we look at how games not optmized for Tegra 3 performed when it launched a year and something ago, there's nothing to worry about. You won't get dem nice shinny Tegra 4 features (since Asphalt 8 has none), but it should run pretty well, specially since the Shield has a 1280x720 screen.

L.O.R.D

hay Ryan
is there any way this game will come to windows phone 8 devices ?
i loved Asphalt 7
i have HTC 8X

edit 2:
soo, only for windows 8 and not windows phone 8 ?
edit:
i just saw this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCkNyS3cDQ8&feature=youtu.be
it will coming to Windows phone 8 after all
but why this fall and not like ios ?
what the recommend WP8 device for optimal run ?

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
hay Ryan
is there any way this game will come to windows phone 8 devices ?
i loved Asphalt 7
i have HTC 8X

edit 2:
soo, only for windows 8 and not windows phone 8 ?
edit:
i just saw this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCkNyS3cDQ8&feature=youtu.be
it will coming to Windows phone 8 after all
but why this fall and not like ios ?
what the recommend WP8 device for optimal run ?

It's just delayed a little because we just worked out and announced the partnership with Microsoft yesterday, which we are all really pumped for!

Not sure about which WP8 devices it will run on just yet. I have to wait and hear from the dev team on that one. If I get a listing I'll be able to post it before launch.

DonMigs85

It's just delayed a little because we just worked out and announced the partnership with Microsoft yesterday, which we are all really pumped for!

Not sure about which WP8 devices it will run on just yet. I have to wait and hear from the dev team on that one. If I get a listing I'll be able to post it before launch.

Would be great if it runs on 512MB devices.

Gameloft_Ryan

Neo Member
Would be great if it runs on 512MB devices.

Yeah that's what I've heard from a few other WP8 users and we are working with Microsoft with those memory limitations in mind. Once I know more information about what devices will and won't support it I'll be sure to answer questions regarding this concern :)

cafemomo

Asphalt is actually one of the few smartphone games that I actually like.

I'll pick this up.

3DS or Vita version when?

Peterthumpa

More praising reviews:

iLounge said:
Overall, Asphalt 8 is a remarkable iOS racing game: visually and sonically fantastic, a tremendous amount of fun to play, challenging, and diverse in unexpected ways. Despite the low price, it’s the best driving game we’ve yet seen in the App Store, and we consider it to be highly worth considering for any iOS gamer—mandatory for racing game fans. Gameloft Barcelona has set a new high bar for iOS driving excitement, and we’re anxious to see how this already superb game evolves over the months to come.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/gameloft-asphalt-8-airborne/

reKon

Banned
skipped 7, and will probably buy this. Should look great on HTC One/Nexus 7. Gameloft seems like they should be capable of implementing Google Cloud Save into their games. That would be incredible.

Top Bottom