• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot Spoiler Thread

I figure there's a lot of cool surprises both in gameplay, bots and moments etc so feel free to discuss everything in here.

So favourite levels, moments, cameos, music, boss fights etc.

The two highlights for me were the mouse and uncharted level.

The mouse level for sheer creative inventiveness. The uncharted level for fun factor, music and feels.

Favourite power ups were the mouse and probably the elephant especially when you can make an ice sheet with it.

That will do me for now. Splurge about everything!

Dafegamer

There's several happening consecutively, it's amazing. Stands outs are Downsize Surprise for sheer scale real time, the out of nowhere mini boss fight in dude raiding. The secret exit in Djinny of the Lamp, like that was clever and slick, I was thinking if it's possible that some people might never figure out the puzzle with invisible platforms. The Loco Roco reveal literally came out nowhere as well.
Secret Exit in Az-Tech Trials was my first "Aha" moment

Last edited:
There's several happening consecutively, it's amazing. Stands outs are Downsize Surprise for sheer scale real time, the out of nowhere mini boss fight in dude raiding. The secret exit in Djinny of the Lamp, like that was clever and slick, I was thinking if it's possible that some people might never figure out the puzzle with invisible platforms. The Loco Roco reveal literally came out nowhere as well.
Secret Exit in Az-Tech Trials was my first "Aha" moment
Ha I smashed the pots near the invisible platform and it had all these floating broken pieces and I thought the game had glitched! 😂

Az-tech probably had my favourite music as well

Last edited:
Lol my exact reaction, I thought "hmmm very strange" got me concerned for a sec, then I realised 🤯
I spotted the portal on second my go round I smashed the pots again and it all clicked. I didn't see the portal first time round

I did have the bird with me but I think I would have figured it out as I had already seen it.

Saying that I think the bird is a brilliant aid without spoiling the discovery. It just narrows where you have to be searching. Without it finding secrets would have meant going over entire levels with a fine tooth comb

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I've already posted a bunch in the OT but I'll expand upon some of my thoughts, especially regarding bots.

- Kain and Raziel, wow, completely unexpected, especially Kain. Funny story about Blood Omen. I used to buy games at this mom & pop shop, was friendly with the owner and some of the staff there and they would often give me discounts (I remember getting Crash for $36!). I go there one day wanting a new game but with no real plan. I see Blood Omen, pick up the case, read the description on the back and look at the pictures, I'm sold! Ends up being one of my favourite PS1 releases, give me my remaster!

- Alundra. What an amazing cameo, loved it back in the day and again, been wanting a remaster. In fact, a simple re-release with trophy support ala the recent Jeanne D'Arc would do just fine.

- Polygon Man. This was a wild throwback, couldn't believe my eyes lol. Featured heavily in gaming magazines back in the day, I used to read the likes of EGM, GamePro, Gamefan and eventually OPM religiously.

- Ape Escape level made my jaw drop! Perfectly executed and unexpected, give Asobi the damn IP! An interesting parallel AE has with Astro is that it was the first IP to fully utilize the buttons/functionality of the DualShock controller, felt revolutionary at the time, was only right that they paid homage.

- Locoroco. It's not even that I particularly love this series but it's inclusion as one of the PlayStation levels was so out of left field and unpredictable that I couldn't help but admire it!

- Patapon. This is PSP royalty, like Astro another series bursting with charm and musicality.

- MGS. GOAT-tier series, one of my personal favourites and absolutely synonymous with PlayStation. So many memories but none more so than MGS1, looking at the back of the jewel case for a certain code will never be topped, Psychomantis "you like Castlevania, don't you?" was 🤯, Gray Fox vs Rex was the most epic cutscene I'd ever seen in a videogame up until that point.

- Kazuma Kiryu. Huge fan of the Yakuza series and my boy Kaz is a certified legend amongst gaming's greatest characters. The hub world animation is so damn good :D

- Sackboy and Tearaway. I spent a lot of time creating in LBP and contributing on forums, met some cool people through the game that I still keep in contact with to this day. Astrobot represents a passing of the torch in many ways, we won't forget you Sackboy! As for Tearaway it - like afformentioned Ape Escape - represents a parallel as a game that made full use of the Vita's capabilities and shares the same spirit of creativity and whimsy.

Maybe I'll write a few more in a follow-up post, look forward to hearing other's thoughts/nostalgia when they encountered some of their favourite PlayStation peeps of yesteryear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom