• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari and Firaxis Games Announce Sid Meier's Pirates! For Xbox

Friday August 13, 10:00 am ET
Highly Anticipated Sequel Comes to Windows in 2004

Xbox in 2005

BEVERLY, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 13, 2004--Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR - News) and Firaxis Games announced today that Sid Meier's Pirates!® for the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft is currently in development and is scheduled to release worldwide in spring 2005. Sid Meier's Pirates! for Windows will ship to retail stores worldwide on November 16, 2004. The award-winning 1987 smash hit game, Sid Meier's Pirates!, received unprecedented critical acclaim and set the industry standard for innovative game design with its unique blend of open-ended role-playing, real-time adventures and thrilling action sequences.

Source: Atari, Inc.

"There has been great anticipation for the long awaited return of Pirates! and to see what the team at Firaxis has been able to accomplish with the franchise," said Nancy MacIntyre, vice president of marketing, Atari, Inc. "We are pleased to follow-up what is sure to be a great PC launch this holiday with an Xbox title next year."

"We're thrilled to continue our relationship with Atari to bring Pirates! not only to fans of the original game but to a new generation of gamers," said Jeff Briggs, President and CEO of Firaxis Games. "Pirates! is among the most popular and loved titles in gaming history and Sid and the team here are working hard to uphold the high standards of the franchise."

In Sid Meier's Pirates! for Windows and Xbox, players take the leading role of a Pirate Captain in the 17th century Caribbean - amassing fortune and fame in an attempt to seize a rightful place as one of the most revered and feared pirates in history. Players test their skills as a sea captain exploring the high seas and exotic ports in a richly detailed 3-D world. As your reputation and skills grow, so will the size and quality of your crew, your ability to take on larger enemy ships, raid and plunder heavily fortified ports, and locate ancient treasure.

Sid Meier's Pirates! for Xbox will include a Vs mode and will take advantage of many Xbox Live! capabilities, high fidelity 5.1 Dolby Digital surround and will support HDTV.

Additional information about the franchise and Sid Meier's Pirates! for Windows and Xbox can be found at www.atari.com/pirates or www.pirates-game.com.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope it is faithful, I'm really looking forward to this.

I also hope it keeps the old end-of-game ranking system, whereby you learn all your efforts have been in vain and you die of syphilis as a lonely pauper. (Ok, I made the syphilis bit up, but you know they wanted to add that insult too.)

Mashing

Whatca talkin bout foo... Pirates! on the NES and Genesis was the shit.

Unless your talking about modern PC games on consoles, in which case I agree somewhat.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Well they are including Xbox Live features so they're atleast determined to make a quality port.

I'm actually more interested in this title after hearing the Xbox port news.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
It's worth noting that the best version of the old Pirates!, in the opinion of Firaxis, is on the Genesis.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
WHAT? Clearly they have not been taking their medication.

Amiga rev > C-64 rev > any stoopid console version!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
bishoptl said:

C-64 rules all!!!! Shhhhh!!!! it is watching us... can't you feel the gaze??????!!!!!!!!!!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The Genesis version was fantastic. It's the root of the reason I want a console port of this so bad. On console Pirate rules.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
bishoptl said:

Damned straight!

Ahhhh, the masochistic pain of trying to cross the carribean into the wind, sacking Santiago only to find you've missed the gold train by 3 days, getting stranded on an island after the 13th mutiny in 12 months...That'll teach me to rely on Dutch press gangs...

I can't wait! :D (I've said that already haven't I?)

Mashing

The gameplay in Pirates! defines freeform... that's why I love it.... plus I just love setting/time period etc. If I could chose to live in one time period it would be either the Medieval Age or Renaissance Age.

Is Atari going rush this like they did Driv3r? It will be a sad day in gaming if Pirates! ships with boatloads of glitches.

Top Bottom