• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audio question related to receiver and setup (ps5 gaming)

I have a 3.1 setup. (left, right, center, sub). I currently set the PS5 to 5.1 and my receiver downsamples to 3.1. My question is, should I instead set the PS5 to stereo and have the receiver convert to 3.1?

Last edited:

Radioskugga

woops! I also have a center speaker. thats why I said 3.1 :)

anyway, stereo still?
Ah, then no. Just make sure you disable the surround channels on your reciever settings.
I think that should work.

Edit: Do you have HDMI to the TV and then use ARC/eARC to the reciever?
If so, you should set the "HDMI Device Type" to "TV" on sound settings in PS5.

Last edited:
Ah, then no. Just make sure you disable the surround channels on your reciever settings.
I think that should work.

Edit: Do you have HDMI to the TV and then use ARC/eARC to the reciever?
If so, you should set the "HDMI Device Type" to "TV" on sound settings in PS5.
I do. why set it to TV? curious

Radioskugga

I do. why set it to TV? curious
Then ARC will send the signal to the reciever directly and you should be able to control everything there. That's what I've done, that's where you control everything from how many speakers to the positions etc.

Edit: My system is a 5.1.2 though.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I have a 3.1 setup. (left, right, center, sub). I currently set the PS5 to 5.1 and my receiver downsamples to 3.1. My question is, should I instead set the PS5 to stereo and have the receiver convert to 3.1?
Theoretically yes, but I would have 2 presets and switch game to game . Use DeS as a test. It’s excellent fir that. Dragon bridge right before tower knight

Kuranghi

I was wondering this. If I set it to soundbar it sends out 7.1 and I have a 5.1 soundbar but if I set it to receiver I can send 5.1

I played with it a bit and couldn't tell much difference and went with receiver/5.1, dynamic range seems the same on both so I decided to just match it up with what I have.

FrankWza

I was wondering this. If I set it to soundbar it sends out 7.1 and I have a 5.1 soundbar but if I set it to receiver I can send 5.1

I played with it a bit and couldn't tell much difference and went with receiver/5.1, dynamic range seems the same on both so I decided to just match it up with what I have.
Do you find it the same for every game? Some games have their own settings that can change or mess with av system processing

Kuranghi

Do you find it the same for every game? Some games have their own settings that can change or mess with av system processing

Yeah I find each game different when I change the in-game dynamic range stuff but just changing the system level setting I felt no difference is what I meant.

Top Bottom