• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August '04 NPD Summary

Subitai

Sorry I took so long everyone:

Microsoft LTD

XBX HALO 3,528,480 - 2k behind GT3 if I'm not mistaken
XBX PROJECT GOTHAM RACING 1,174,130
XBX MECH ASSAULT 641,668
XBX NFL FEVER 2002 588,789
XBX AMPED: SNOWBOARDING 538,470
XBX FUZION FRENZY 508,345
XBX BRUTE FORCE 459,738
XBX ODDWORLD: MUNCH 408,010
XBX PROJECT GOTHAM 2 405,898
XBX COUNTER STRIKE 357,273
XBX NFL FEVER 2003 344,423
XBX CRIMSON SKIES: HIGH 343,684
XBX BLOOD WAKE 331,320
XBX RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 287,118
XBX BLINX: TIME SWEEPER 283,291
XBX TOP SPIN 241,492
XBX NBA INSIDE DRIVE 2002 220,141
XBX NBA INSIDE DRIVE 2003 181,277
XBX NFL FEVER 2004 170,150
XBX SHENMUE 2 166,734
XBX MIDTOWN MADNESS 3 161,256
XBX TAO FENG: FIST LOTUS 151,152
XBX EXHIBITION DEMO DISK 144,358
XBX AZURIK: RISE PERATHIA 138,082
XBX MUSIC MIXER 140,806
XBX LINKS 2004 140,127
XBX KUNG FU CHAOS 121,161
XBX AMPED 2 118,608
XBX NBA INSIDE DRIVE 2004 90,584
XBX EXHIBITION DEMO VOL 2 89,652
XBX RALLISPORT CHALLENGE2 81,058
XBX NIGHTCASTER 73,293
XBX GRABBED BY GHOULIES 71,086
XBX PHANTASY STAR I & II 67,935
XBX QUANTUM REDSHIFT 63,297
XBX MLB INSIDE PITCH 2003 62,269
XBX SUDEKI 58,443
XBX SNEAKERS 52,930
XBX EXHIBITION DEMO VOL 3 51,083
XBX WHACKED 50,589
XBX NHL RIVALS 2004 49,125
XBX VOODOO VINCE 46,680
XBX EXHIBITION DEMO VOL 4 35,527
XBX KAKUTO CHOJIN 27,669
XBX EXHIBITION DEMO VOL 5 18,111

Lucas Arts

XBX STAR WARS: OBI-WAN 382,889
XBX SW: KNIGHTS REPUBLIC 752,635

UbiSoft

XBX T. CLANCYS PANDORA 468,037
XBX T. CLANCYS RAINBOW 3 663,404
XBX T. CLANCYS SPLINTER 1,456,677
XBX T.CLANCYS BLACK ARROW 158,218
XBX T.CLANCYS GHOST RECON 945,412

Eidos

XBX HITMAN 2: ASSASSIN 553,785

Tecmo

XBX DEAD OR ALIVE 3 865,611
XBX NINJA GAIDEN 492,311

Take2

XBX GRAND THEFT AUTO PACK 1,111,924

THQ

XBX FULL SPECTRUM WARRIOR 252,476

Vivendi Universal

XBX CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK 159,364

Um, EA

XBX NEED SPEED: UNDERGRND 632,055
XBX MADDEN NFL 2005 509,100

Ok, Bunkum, can you get me the numbers for Unreal Championship in April, May, June, July, and August?

recluse said:
Galleowned you mean. That's just miserable. It's supposed to be a fairly fun game too. Guess no one will ever know.

Considering Atlus put it out, I doubt they were expecting massive sales as it is. They really don't sell mass quantities of anything outside of those fishing games they publish.

As for that Astro Boy game, I've read that it's been hard to find. Hopefully it'll go up some.

why are SC PT numbers for the xbox listed? I really wanted to compare the sequel to the original in terms of sales.

Mega Man Anniversary (GC): 153,405
Mega Man Anniversary (PS2): 145,483

damn, I thought the PS2 version out-sold the GC numbers. One for Capcom to mull over. We'll see how command mission sells in a month or so. Maybe the September/October NPD.

AniHawk

TheGreenGiant said:
damn, I thought the PS2 version out-sold the GC numbers. One for Capcom to mull over. We'll see how command mission sells in a month or so. Maybe the September/October NPD.

The PS2 version of MMAC will soon outsell the GC version. Probably around November/December.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
AniHawk said:
Yes. Lifetime to date.

I just do US sales. Not North America (like I previously thought they were).

Forgive my crapness at geography, but does US include South America (Brazil, etc...) too?

Alcibiades

TheGreenGiant said:
why are SC PT numbers for the xbox listed? I really wanted to compare the sequel to the original in terms of sales.

pretty impressive considering all the word about the GCN version having the jump/action controls...

AniHawk

boutrosinit said:
Forgive my crapness at geography, but does US include South America (Brazil, etc...) too?

Don't take this as me being an ass or anything, just for future reference:

North America: Continent (United States of America + Canada + Mexico)
South America: Continent (Brazil, Peru, Argentina, etc)
US: Country, United States

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
AniHawk said:
Don't take this as me being an ass or anything, just for future reference:

North America: Continent (United States of America + Canada + Mexico)
South America: Continent (Brazil, Peru, Argentina, etc)
US: Country, United States

No offence taken dude. Thanks for the geography lesson :)

Deku Tree

etiolate said:
Is Acclaim no longer being listed due to their dead status? I was looking for some LTD numbers for Burnout 2 on all consoles.

That would be interesting to look at. Why are there no Burnout 2 NPD numbers?

border

Why would anyone have expected Viewtiful Joe to sell that well? It's a year-old port of a game that was not that well-loved in the first place.

The same people that excused poor-selling ports on the Cube (because they were late) are cackling about VJ PS2's sales, as if you could expect anything different.

Alcibiades

border said:
Why would anyone have expected Viewtiful Joe to sell that well? It's a year-old port of a game that was not that well-loved in the first place.

The same people that excused poor-selling ports on the Cube (because they were late) are cackling about VJ PS2's sales, as if you could expect anything different.
24 million vs. 7 million

if the game were late to a smaller userbase, that makes sense, but this was late to a giant userbase...

border said:

I agree with the above poster, some numbers like this are startling given the PS2s userbase... but it's a very good point. I have to agree with what you're saying. It's like expecting Hitman 2 on Gamecube to have done well. Or RE2/3. Or countless other games. I still think it'll do okay though... but never as well as it deserves: on either platform.

Bring on VJ2. And since we're talking about sequels to late ports... Monkey Ball 3.

border

efralope said:
if the game were late to a smaller userbase, that makes sense, but this was late to a giant userbase...
The userbase is larger but the competition between software is far more fierce. You really think a year-old port of a 2D game should have sold as well as the original? =\

It's also a factor of audience. People with a strong interest in 2D play games as they come, rather than sit around waiting for a PS2 port that Nintendo fans (and Capcom and Nintendo) swore up and down wasn't going to happen. Games that have a more casual audience might do better, since those people are more likely to wait for ports (GTA: DP).

border

Come to think of it, I doubt that you can name any other games that were ported to PS2 from Xbox/GC after a year and sold anywhere near what the original did. Splinter Cell games are 20x more popular than Viewtiful Joe and have been ported promptly (3-6 months) but still do worse than the Xbox originals. People just don't want old games, and userbase isn't really going to help that....

border said:
Come to think of it, I doubt that you can name any other games that were ported to PS2 from Xbox/GC after a year and sold anywhere near what the original did. Splinter Cell games are 20x more popular than Viewtiful Joe and have been ported promptly (3-6 months) but still do worse than the Xbox originals. People just don't want old games, and userbase isn't really going to help that....

Well...

There's only one game I can think of, but it wasn't from the GC/Xbox. It was from the DC.

PS2 RESIDENT EVIL CODE: X CAPCOM USA 857,280

Release Dates: DC Version = 2/3/2000 , PS2 Version = 8/21/2001

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty darn sure that the DC version actually sold less. It certainly couldn't have been much more. Rez has only sold 20k, despite what it might have sold on the DC, so that one won't work.

border

Crazy Taxi PS2 probably did 80% of the original's sales, all told. Those are probably the only ports on PS2 that have come close to matching the first version. I more-or-less attribute it to the DC's limited mainstream appeal and early demise. People saw the system as doomed and really did wait-it-out for Sega and its third parties to bail out and cut their losses with ports. (A similar thing happened when the Sonic Adventure games came to Cube)

As far as I can tell though, expecting a GC/Xbox-original to sell as well on PS2 a year later is basically asking the impossible. Those systems are seen as viable by most of the marketplace...

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
border said:

I don't think it was a matter of people expecting the PS2 version to out do the GCN version, as it was people just expecting the game to do better in general. Even if the platforms were reversed and the game was a late port to the Gamecube, these numbers would be bad. The poor PS2 sales are then exacerbated by this:

GCN VIEWTIFUL JOE $223,946 11,042
PS2 VIEWTIFUL JOE $279,005 9,363

border

The Cube version was on the market for the entire sales period, up against a graphically inferior port that costs 50% more and was only released on 8/24 (with no significant marketing push, as far as I can tell). What sort of bang-up performance was "expected"?

Maybe the numbers are shocking at first, but if you think about it then it kinda makes sense.

CrisKre

I hope VJ producer that was saying how shocked he was at how low VJ sales where on gamecube doesn't comit suicide or something! (hell, he even named this version a New Hope in JP).

It is sad, it deserves SOOOOOOOOO much better.

Could people be holding off to get No. 2?

Firest0rm

"As far as I can tell though, expecting a GC/Xbox-original to sell as well on PS2 a year later is basically asking the impossible. Those systems are seen as viable by most of the marketplace..."

Bloody Roar for GC outsold the PS2 version, when it came out 1 year later.

border

Firest0rm said:
Bloody Roar for GC outsold the PS2 version, when it came out 1 year later.
Yeah, but I'm asking for a game that started on the GC/Xbox....according to NPD they are 8 months apart anyhow (June 01/March 02)...

digit said:
Did Gamespot make a mistake or do we have the wrong numbers?

Gamespot needs to learn reading comprehension.

I'm sure they say, Madden sold third best on the GC, but they were talking about how the different versions of Madden did.

*GASP* - I didn't realize there was no PSOne version! RIP, old friend.

Code:
 PS2 	 MADDEN NFL 2005 	 1,112,588 
 XBX 	 MADDEN NFL 2005 	 509,100 
 GCN 	 MADDEN NFL 2005 	 87,404 
 GBA 	 MADDEN NFL 2005 	 20,588 
 PS2 	 MADDEN NFL 2005 COLL 	 395,811

Alcibiades

PSOne and PC versions should be out like September 26th or something like that.

Also, the DS will be getting a Madden.

Does anyone have LTD numbers for DDR Max and DDR Max 2 for PS2? It's nice to see that they are still selling pretty well.. :)

And how about the X-Files: Resist or Serve game for PS2/Xbox? LTD?

explodet

Biglesworth23 said:
Does anyone have LTD numbers for DDR Max and DDR Max 2 for PS2? It's nice to see that they are still selling pretty well.. :)

DDRMAX: 365,147

DDRMAX 2: 384,720
DDRMAX 2 Bundle: 100,184
DDRMAX 2 Total: 484,904

Ultramix: 88,848
Ultramix Bundle: 53,050
Ultramix Total: 141,898

I thought they were still hovering under 300K, big surprise for me that MAX2 is almost up to 500K.

Thanks to sonycowboy for the July LTD numbers abd bunkum for the August numbers.

Top Bottom