• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Fredescu

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The partisan whinging wouldn't annoy me nearly so much if the leader of the opposition weren't an irrational buffoon.
The annoying thing is, being an irrational buffoon is working. He knows now that he can outright lie and get away with it. I thought this was a pretty well stated brief article on the subject: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-...hen-politics-just-gives-me-the-sheets/2804736

Also, since you mention Turnbull, I could have sworn there was a poll recently that said people much prefer Rudd and Turnbull over Abbott and Gillard, but I can't find it now.

Agyar said:
I would pay $100 to not have a HP Touchpad.
I'll sell you my lack of a HP Touchpad for $50 (plus shipping).

RandomVince said:
Theyre becoming very poisonous over the last 3 years though , mr squirrel.

I think that its dangerous for either side to have a clear majority at all. I think negotiation and compromise should be a good thing and seen as such in politics (except when its the fred nile types).

If it should come to pass that labor lost the balance of power now (with no new election) at least we would still have a close lower house and an opposing (hopefully not hostile) senate.

Negotiation should be mandatory.
While I agree with the notion in principle, it can lead to the kinds of fangless, ineffective legislation that conservative types love to point to as GUVVAMENT WAIST, which can be frustrating. Putting a price on carbon is a good idea and should be an effective way to incentivise lower carbon emissions with the side effect of getting cleaner skies. Doing it the half-arsed way they've done it, however, means that the whole thing is a collossal waste of time.

Also, negotiation killed the Traveston Crossing dam. I'm green as anyone else out there, but damn it, South East Queensland needs that dam and a small population of frogs or lizards or whatever is a small price to pay for avoiding the future negative externalities of not having that dam there.

Also, it annoys me that the second it started raining again, people were all like "lol y we need watah for?", like population pressures, demographic trends and the fact that Australia is a desert country suddenly become irrelevant because of one flood.

EDIT: Then again, a lack of negotiation could lead to a government doing something nutty like expanding negative gearing to include losses incurred in maintaining all investments, including shares on marginal loans.

So, YAY NEGOTIATION!

Clipper

hamchan said:
How much are these touchpads?
They were $100 for the 16GB and $150 for the 32GB. Sold out in 10 minutes at most places.

I just ordered three through Barnes and Noble's US site to ship to me via HopShopGo, though. Will be in the range of AU$120-$150 each for the 16GB model including Aus shipping by my guess.

Yagharek

While I agree with the notion in principle, it can lead to the kinds of fangless, ineffective legislation that conservative types love to point to as GUVVAMENT WAIST, which can be frustrating. Putting a price on carbon is a good idea and should be an effective way to incentivise lower carbon emissions with the side effect of getting cleaner skies. Doing it the half-arsed way they've done it, however, means that the whole thing is a collossal waste of time.

Also, negotiation killed the Traveston Crossing dam. I'm green as anyone else out there, but damn it, South East Queensland needs that dam and a small population of frogs or lizards or whatever is a small price to pay for avoiding the future negative externalities of not having that dam there.

Also, it annoys me that the second it started raining again, people were all like "lol y we need watah for?", like population pressures, demographic trends and the fact that Australia is a desert country suddenly become irrelevant because of one flood.

EDIT: Then again, a lack of negotiation could lead to a government doing something nutty like expanding negative gearing to include losses incurred in maintaining all investments, including shares on marginal loans.

So, YAY NEGOTIATION!

I hear Gaddafi is looking for work :p

Maybe we need a benevolent dictator.

Fredescu

You can already do this can't you? Or is that your point?

Fogz said:
Would Amazon give us the Steam key?
Yes. It's only $15 on Steam if you get it gifted from a person in the US, if you don't want to wait for Amazon, or if the shipping doesn't make the savings work out.

Fogz

Fredescu said:
Yes. It's only $15 on Steam if you get it gifted from a person in the US, if you don't want to wait for Amazon, or if the shipping doesn't make the savings work out.

Thats the digital download

RandomVince said:
I hear Gaddafi is looking for work :p

Maybe we need a benevolent dictator.
I'd be a much more benevolent dictator than that guy. I'd make blocking of any electronic content based on region against the law and relegate the ACB to the status of an advisory body for the parents of the nation (i.e. as long as the content is not a recording of a heinous crime, it can be sold in Australia). I'd build subways, extend trainlines and upgrade highways into and out of every capital city, ramp up the NBN and build dams freakin' everywhere, using increased mining taxes to pay for all of it.

I'd end negative gearing and reform the tax system according to the recommendations outlined in the Henry Report and draft a constitution outlining both freedom of speech and a right to privacy as the rights of every citizen.

Finally, I would start a huge scholarship fund for qualifications that will skill-up the Australian workforce and pointedly include a "no mickey-mouse degree" clause in the drafting of its charter.

jambo

Clipper said:
I just ordered three through Barnes and Noble's US site to ship to me via HopShopGo, though. Will be in the range of AU$120-$150 each for the 16GB model including Aus shipping by my guess.

Are HopShopGo the same people you used for the LEGO order? Reliable?

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, I might not get a HP TouchPad, save my money for the Lego Super Start Destroyer! If it's still coming out on Sep 1 then it's out next week! =D

Clipper

jambo said:
Are HopShopGo the same people you used for the LEGO order? Reliable?

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, I might not get a HP TouchPad, save my money for the Lego Super Start Destroyer! If it's still coming out on Sep 1 then it's out next week! =D
They're not, but I have used them before for Mortal Kombat and some other stuff and I do plan to use them for the Lego SSD as I believe it will be cheaper than the company I used for the Lego Imperial Shuttle, as these guys are in Oregon and thus exempt from Sales Tax.

I doubt the SSD is Sep 1 any more, though. It's still listed as coming on null :(

Fredescu

I was unaware that this was a thing. I don't think you can do that. Imagine the speculative bubble it'd cause.
I'm positive you can. Speculative bubbles are what the stock market is all about. It's perhaps less common because you can make a profit without too much difficulty on the sharemarket, but if your dividends are lower than the interest you pay on the loan you used to buy the shares, you can claim negative gearing.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
the internet lottery strikes again, no net. in hold to internode to get my ports reset (last three times they did this it worked within the next hour)

edit: ports reset / line test run! internet works within 2 minutes! a new record. pity i didnt have my wireless router plugged in :( so cant use my touchpad

Fredescu

midonnay said:
politics is way scary...... we might be seeing a new golden age of conservatism
This guy was PM 15 years ago. Not sure I'd call it "new".

John_Howard_boy.jpg

Bernbaum

Fredescu said:
Apart from the terribly uninspiring federal leaders, it's actually pretty interesting at the moment. I'd say you're just over it.
It's the one that's a chick that's the president right now isn't it?

Fredescu

Bernbaum said:
It's the one that's a chick that's the president right now isn't it?
Of a minority government, no less. Also, there are two other minority governments in the country. Also, there's a super young dude in the lower house. Also, an indigenous guy, and he's on the blue team!

Red goes faster so it automatically wins.

Quite chuffed with this touchpad. Makes browsing the web on the couch super easy. Prob won't use it for much more than a WiFi internet browser on the couch.

Shaneus

Fogz said:
Thats the digital download
And that's if the key works. I had a key gifted to me via Amazon but I had to use a VPN to enter it into Steam. Might be the same for Retribution.

At that price, though... I'd be willing to risk it. Maybe.

Fredescu said:
I'm positive you can. Speculative bubbles are what the stock market is all about. It's perhaps less common because you can make a profit without too much difficulty on the sharemarket, but if your dividends are lower than the interest you pay on the loan you used to buy the shares, you can claim negative gearing.
Seriously?

WHO IN THE HELL IS RUNNING THIS COUNTRY?

Echoplx

Shaneus said:
And that's if the key works. I had a key gifted to me via Amazon but I had to use a VPN to enter it into Steam. Might be the same for Retribution.

At that price, though... I'd be willing to risk it. Maybe.

I'm 99% sure it won't be region locked, the last key you got was probably Mafia 2 right? That's the only one I've ever heard people having issues with.

Deeku

On the way home this afternoon, I nearly crashed into a side wall near the harbour tunnel because I was too busy looking at two low flying helicopters. They were flying REALLY low!! Helicopters!!

But yeah, special pro tip from me, don't try looking at shit through the sun roof when driving on a highway.

Shaneus

3chopl0x said:
I'm 99% sure it won't be region locked, the last key you got was probably Mafia 2 right? That's the only one I've ever heard people having issues with.
Yep, sure was. It probably will be fine, just throwing the warning out there to people who think it will 100% definitely work. Be cautious :)

Fogz

Shaneus said:
Yep, sure was. It probably will be fine, just throwing the warning out there to people who think it will 100% definitely work. Be cautious :)

I can confirm it works. Downloading now :)

whew!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No El Shaddai, no Xenoblade, and no laptop from Alienware they claim to have sent last week.

The longer these things take to arrive the higher the likelihood of them all arriving at the same goddamn time, probably when Deus Ex is set to go.

First world problems fml.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fredescu said:
Which one are you getting?

They're sending me the M17x. It's not for keepsies, just for review or whatever.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
book plane tickets home to surprise mum on her 50th birthday

get email of itinery from mum saying she's going to bali for that week.

sighs :( weekend at home with the dogs tho <3

Deeku

aww that sucks:(

I actually had a really nice dinner with friends and family for my dad's 60th on Saturday. Fast forward to now and my mum apparently hates my dad. Hope it's just another one of those grumpy old parents thing.

HolyCheck said:

Went to Williamstown on the weekend and seriously, so. many. dogs. I have wanted a dog for what seems like years now and seeing all the amazing dogs there didn't change anything one bit.

edit: new entourage is also a very good episode. the final season is going very nicely.

Jintor

Another riveting night of law. This night, constitutional law! And that'll likely be it for the rest of the week, except Thursday (driving test, so if I get it I'll take the night off) and Friday (work event)

PS Serrels is Tracey interning for Kotaku now? D:

Anybody watching Breaking Bad? Started off pretty great but became a filler-fest after the 2nd season :(

Can't wait for Clash of Kings to premiere (next year :X). I'm reading Storm of Swords these days...brilliant writing. It's probably the best fantasy fiction I've read after the Lord of the Rings.

Also, what's up with the weather in Melbourne? It's supposed to be winter and today was hot as hell.

jambo

HolyCheck said:

She found out you were coming home.

Hmm. Might bite on a M4 128Gb for $203. Not sure yet. Really should stop splashing my cash around until my tax is done.

Tntnnbltn said:
Welp, a recent article in Eurogamer got me to calculating how much I've spent on SingStar DLC...

:-/
Holy mother of god. DLC is king. DLC puts bread on the table. Next generation will be painful for the consumer. :(

Shaneus said:
Costume Quest DLC bought. This could well be the first game EVER that I've 100%ed, cheevo-wise.

Yep. Ever.
That was Oblivion for me, achievement at least. Also 1000 on The Bourne game which I highly recommend. Also got the full k on The Saboteur. Sigh, so many under-rated mid-class games.

Top Bottom