• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like an interesting idea on how to get rid the National Party. Stop porkbarrelling their seats with things like roads, bridges, water, internet and move them all to the cities. In fact just imagine the colour Barnaby would have turned if it read:

Labor is demanding Prime Minister Tony Abbott apologise for telling National Party voters in remote communities taxpayers shouldn't fund their 'lifestyle choices'.

Something that almost past me by:

Crikey said:
But if you blinked, you would have missed it. Hidden away in an otherwise inconsequential piece of legislation dealing with the bland subject of public service governance and financial management was the revelation that the government is taking away the independence of the Clean Energy Regulator and the Climate Change Authority.

It's from the 24th of last month and you might need a crikey account. Very sneaky, if you can't destroy it from outside, destroy it from within.

Edit: Holy crap, Abbott just suggest a "Taxpayer funded truth campaign" over some funding issues with pensioner contributions with the SA government. The shear hypocrisy.

Yagharek

Seems like an interesting idea on how to get rid the National Party. Stop porkbarrelling their seats with things like roads, bridges, water, internet and move them all to the cities. In fact just imagine the colour Barnaby would have turned if it read:

Something that almost past me by:

It's from the 24th of last month and you might need a crikey account. Very sneaky, if you can't destroy it from outside, destroy it from within.

Edit: Holy crap, Abbott just suggest a "Taxpayer funded truth campaign" over some funding issues with pensioner contributions with the SA government. The shear hypocrisy.

I see we accidentally got the Republican Party in Australia.

wonzo

Banned
WA Liberal says anti-bullying program 'gay and lesbian promotion', says report
An anti-bullying program aimed at informing teachers about prejudice toward LGBTI students is “little more than a gay, lesbian, transgender lifestyle promotion program,” conservative Western Australian government backbencher Peter Abetz is reported to have said.

The West Australian reports that Abetz, elder brother to Abbott government minister Eric Abetz and a former pastor in the Christian Reformed Church, gave a private briefing to his Liberal party colleagues in the WA parliament to speak against the Safe Schools program which will become available to WA schools later this year.

Abetz reportedly said he believed that most LGBTI teenagers grew out of it, and highlighted anti-bullying programs he thought would be more appropriate.

“The militant gay lesbian lobby is trying to get this into our schools to ‘normalise’ what they consider the LGBTI agenda,” the West Australian reports him as saying.

“I think in Australia most people are quite tolerant. Most people know someone among their relatives or workmates who is a lesbian or gay or whatever, and they don’t bat an eyelid – they just accept them as human beings with inherent value and you treat them with dignity and respect.”

the HORROR

hidys

Did everyone catch that Turnbull directly contradicted Hockey on raiding super for housing deposits?

elder brother to Abbott government minister Eric Abetz

tumblr_mb3brw6vub1r64t0co1_500.gif

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

hidys

I accept and tolerate these people and treat them with basic human decency and respect, but we can't have their existence normalised by these militant anti-bullying programs.

Bishop too. #IdesofMarch

Yep, Peter Costello too. The only two who seem to like the idea are Hockey and Abbott.

When it was first proposed I was worried that this would become policy.

I guess it still could but it's hard to do that when members of your own ministry hate it.

Yrael

I've been seeing this photo of a little boy head-desking in front of Tony Abbott making the rounds recently - so good:

268245-d36fb782-c7ed-11e4-bdbb-25549bb81a95.jpg

I accept and tolerate these people and treat them with basic human decency and respect, but we can't have their existence normalised by these militant anti-bullying programs.

Lol exactly. Christ, what an awful person.

The militant gay lesbian lobby is trying to get this into our schools to ‘normalise’ what they consider the LGBTI agenda,”

Good thing we've got all those chaplains in schools, then. They'll ward off this ever-looming threat against the moral fiber of our nation.

And then there was Wang.

The brick with eyes has quit the PUP. The turnover in the state and federal membership for the PUP is really quite a sight to behold. Palmer must be a nightmare to work with/for.

Did everyone catch that Turnbull directly contradicted Hockey on raiding super for housing deposits?

He's been subtly positioning himself for a while now, but this one is about unsubtle as you get. He also made a big speech recently about bringing people along with the changes/reforms, a conversation you might say! I imagine when/if he takes over, the conversation will be reset and and election called no more that 6 months later. Hockey will be completely forgotten about by then.

Myansie

Mr Burke said in a statement it was "disappointing for the thousands of members of the Palmer United Party that individuals have put their personal interests ahead of party priorities and what can be achieved for Australia".

The PALMER United Party accusing an exiting member of narcissism. First Dog on the Moon was right to bury satire. How are people this stupid in charge?

Dryk

The brick with eyes has quit the PUP. The turnover in the state and federal membership for the PUP is really quite a sight to behold. Palmer must be a nightmare to work with/for.
Palmer United Party reaching Democratic Republic of ____ levels of disingenuous naming

wonzo

Banned
i figured the bricks with eyes wouldve been the last to quit. pup feels pretty pointless now newmans gone and abbott's on political death row

Fredescu

It's a weird situation for ex PUP senators. They're there 100% because of Palmer's money, and now they've dissociated themselves from him and have a job for five more years. I don't know what to think about that.

Yagharek

It's a weird situation for ex PUP senators. They're there 100% because of Palmer's money, and now they've dissociated themselves from him and have a job for five more years. I don't know what to think about that.

It's your tax money funding their lifestyle choices

Glen Lazarus might have been able to carry a senate campaign himself but yeah none of the others would have had a chance running as independents. On the other hand you can't really restrict things on the basis of party since if a member feels a party isn't serving their constituents they should leave it and there are legitimate independents and they aren't a block (there's no reason an independent shouldn't be able to join a party if they think its appropriate).

I doubt it.

Honestly, so do I. I don't think he had the connections or the financial backing it would take but he had a name people actually recognized unlike the others.

Even Clive Palmer was relatively unknown before his split with the LNP, ie known as a rich person but not a name that most people would have recognised in casual conversation but that's much less of an issue for a House seat, where the area is more concentrated and costs are smaller.

Fredescu

Cheers for the link.

While I'm linking, I've been thinking about this one a lot after having read it a few days ago: http://crosscut.com/2012/08/ayn-rand-seattle-u-philosophy-professor/

As a teenage randroid I think that argument gets the the heart of her ideas better than most. It seems obvious maybe, but I think it's very well stated in this case and logically undercuts a lot of the "business is everything, workers and the state just get in their way" that is the basis for a lot of the rubbish ideology we have to deal with today.

Even Clive Palmer was relatively unknown before his split with the LNP, ie known as a rich person but not a name that most people would have recognised in casual conversation but that's much less of an issue for a House seat, where the area is more concentrated and costs are smaller.

Yeah, I think brute force marketing got him there. Seems unlikely to keep him there.

Quasar

Also...weird for them in that no matter what they do they'll be out of a job then.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
MIRANDA DEVINE AND OPINIONS: A FORMULA FOR EMETICS

She was taught to believe in something very bad and ended up a fanatical believer of something far worse.

While I'm linking, I've been thinking about this one a lot after having read it a few days ago: http://crosscut.com/2012/08/ayn-rand...phy-professor/

As a teenage randroid I think that argument gets the the heart of her ideas better than most. It seems obvious maybe, but I think it's very well stated in this case and logically undercuts a lot of the "business is everything, workers and the state just get in their way" that is the basis for a lot of the rubbish ideology we have to deal with today.
You see this a lot when people cite capitalism as being solely responsible for advances in living standards across the western world. Universal education and healthcare, computers, the internet, national and international communication and transit networks; all products of the free market with no government involvement whatsoever. Think science and technology can advance under anything but a laissez faire system? Look at North Korea. Point proven. Deal with it commie.

Quasar

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-15/pyne-declaring-victory-on-university-deregulation/6320478

The Government has threatened to reduce scientific research funding if the legislation is defeated, arguing the Coalition would have to seek savings elsewhere if deregulation is not embraced.

"There are consequences for not voting for this reform and that's very important for the crossbenchers to understand," Mr Pyne said.

"The consequences are that potentially 1,700 researchers will lose their jobs."

Pyne back to blackmail again.

What a snivling asshole of the highest (or is that lowest) order.

Shandy

Well... Is it even that good a threat? Because personally, while I understand the consequences of losing those research jobs, I'd still choose higher education over them.

JC Sera

Well... Is it even that good a threat? Because personally, while I understand the consequences of losing those research jobs, I'd still choose higher education over them.
Tbh they've already cut science, this might potentially kill it. A lot of people are coming out of university into the science area to find next to no jobs.

However tertiary covers so much more than science. If he goes through with the science cuts, Australia might suffer massive brain drain as Scientists twig that you can avoid HECS overseas.

Even Cory Bernardi, of all people, is not happy about Pyne's 1700 research job blackmail! It takes some real political "talent" to unite the left, the centre, and the far right against you.

We know Bernardi is unhappy with the party, not conservative enough in his eyes, maybe he is just agitating for a more conservative candidate other than Turnbull. Andrew Robb's name keeps popping up.

Dryk

However tertiary covers so much more than science. If he goes through with the science cuts, Australia might suffer massive brain drain as Scientists twig that you can avoid HECS overseas.
It's already accelerating because the Senate hold-up has cut funding to all those institutions. Australia's place in the world is going to be producing other people's researchers for free apparently. All of this is naturally super healthy for the education sector because everyone knows that when there's no job prospects demand for training in those jobs will just keep rising forever.

This fucking country man. Everyone else has poached our rocks and now they're going to poach our brains, and we're too stupid to do anything about it.

Shandy

Offshore detention for suspected HECS-dodgers, coming soon to a pacific island near you.

I wonder what things would be like if we still had the mining tax...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom