• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the US of A from June to September..So I missed the PUP's entire conception and campaign.

So I have no idea what they stand for.......

Basically he proposing a change to business tax where companies no longer pay tax in advance quarterly I think it is, but at the end of the year. This one year change will inject a huge stimulus into the economy and the money will supposedly recycle through the economy up to ten times attracting GST each time. This will allow Clive to spend countless billions on Health, Education and probably Robotic Dinosaurs.

Fantasy, but attractive fantasy for distracted and disenchanted voters.

Yagharek

Nobody else does either

It's a fucking vanity project.

Clive Palmer likes to act dumb, so that people think he isn't actually that bad, it's just an act so that we start to think he is actually sophisticated, reserved and a private man.

Instead he's just a fat narcissistic Queensland billionaire who wants more money and if he can have fun doing it then all the more reason.

Fredescu

Old, but still relevant.

palmerland%20......jpg

hidys

[Tweet]https://twitter.com/Clarke_Melissa/status/388188111504564225/photo/1[/tweet] Gave me a good feeling, but I'm curious who he voted for.

hidys

Damn......Shorten couldn't ever be PM...although we all said that about Abbott 5 years ago.

He has risen up through the ranks of Labor fast enough to the point where I do believe there is something to him talent wise. Other than the fact that he has the endorsement of fuckwits like Graham Richardson.

Rlan

Shorten's alright... but he's just a bit of a boring character. He'll do everything right, but he's got the charisma of a wooden plank. No fun allowed.

Albo's a bit more fun and more willing to get fired up for something he (or the party) believes in - his word battle on Triple J on Hack with Turnbull got pretty heated.

Arksy

As an aside, thank god we have a double dissolution option built into our Constitution in the case of a grid lock.

I can't believe the US Government is STILL NOT OPERATING.

Jintor

As an aside, thank god we have a double dissolution option built into our Constitution in the case of a grid lock.

I can't believe the US Government is STILL NOT OPERATING.

I wonder why Australia has avoided rampant gerrymandering. I heard something about the House and Senate in the US being able to set that stuff up themselves, which seems pretty... weird. But I haven't really looked into it at all...

Shaneus

Shorten's alright... but he's just a bit of a boring character. He'll do everything right, but he's got the charisma of a wooden plank. No fun allowed.

Albo's a bit more fun and more willing to get fired up for something he (or the party) believes in - his word battle on Triple J on Hack with Turnbull got pretty heated.
This. Given the Australian public is willing to vote out people rather than vote IN people, they'd be as equally as dumb to vote someone in purely on charisma (of which Albo has >0, ergo more than Abbott).

Saw on twitter that Shorten won the caucus vote - any confirmation?

He was always going to. Virtually every member of the right, the dominant faction, will vote for him and he has clearly picked up a few from the left. Whether Albo's popularity with a far more left aligned general membership will still put him over the line is unclear.

Fredescu

Fuck if so. Stupid conservative Labor members. Albo was gonna be the new Beazley or Hawke.

According to that guy on Crikey, Albo would only need 58% of the popular vote to get ahead. I'd say he's still in with a chance. It wouldn't be a bad move to make Shorten his deputy too, since the deputy is usually from the opposite faction to the leader.

Arksy

58% is a fair chunk...it's not impossible...the rank and file ALP members I've spoken too all seem to indicate that Albo is by far the best choice for them.

I wonder why Australia has avoided rampant gerrymandering. I heard something about the House and Senate in the US being able to set that stuff up themselves, which seems pretty... weird. But I haven't really looked into it at all...

AFAIK electorates are are drawn up by an independent commission in Australia, while in the US, politicians draw em up (lol)

Fredescu

Yeah, I've heard from a lot of people voting for Albo and none for Shorten. This vote is unprecedented though, so who knows what will happen.

Jintor

Morrison said questions of self-harm on Nauru or Manus were "Matters operational" today, and a cool twitter person ran with it

To the tune of Modern Major-General said:
He's very educated in all matters operational
He knows just how to argue in a manner disputational
In short in matters refugee and maritime and sinister
He is the very model of an Immigration Minister
He won't give oxygen to self-harm, suicide or leaky boats
He knows securing borders gets a lot of crazy people's votes
In matters operational I'm well sure there's nothing sinister
He is the very model of an Immigration Minister

Fredescu

He's still at it:

It’s for our own enjoyment that this clever fellow Morrison
Won’t talk about the islands that they’re undergoing horrors on

I know a few people for Shorten.
I think you'll find that while the general public is probably more for Albo and he'll still get plenty of support from the Labor rank and file, ALP members are more sympathetic to Shorten's cause and don't think so harshly of his past actions as the wider public do. Will be interesting but I think Shorten could maybe get both but will win regardless.

What happens if one wins the caucus and the other wins the rank and file ballot?

bomma_man

Gerrymandering was the only reason why sir Joh ever got into power. He was probably the catalyst for reform. Thank god for the AEC.

Arksy

Thomas Playford in South Australia was also notorious for malapportionment. They even called it the Playmander.

We haven't escaped it completely, but we've done a lot...lot better than the United States where the State Governors control drawing up electoral borders. We've also done a lot better than the UK, where there are lots of really small Labour electorates in the north which skews the system a little bit.

Dryk

We have an ostensibly neutral electoral commission, the US lets state governments draw the boundaries. The problem is really simple but I don't see either side relinquishing that power.

Jintor

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2013/s3867066.htm

George Williams of UNSW Law Faculty weighs in. I guess I paid just enough attention in Constitutional Law to understand what he's talking about - if the Marriage Act defines marriage as between a man and a woman, does that basically take up the entirety of the field? Because Federal Law only overrides State legislation 'to the extent' that they are incompatible, but if the very definition of the area can be determined by Federal Legislation, that kind of means the reach of Commonwealth Powers becomes bloody huge in respect of concurrent powers.

I guess this is really a question more about Federalism than equality.

petszk

Banned
As a one time Gold Coast United season ticket holder, be very afraid.

My commiserations.

I was going to post (before I saw your post);

As a fan and follower of soccer in Australia, his behaviour while he owned GCU showed me everything I needed to know to convince me that he should never be allowed anywhere near the government.

edit: And that picture is (IMO) more accurate and less of a p*ss-take than people probably realise.

hidys

I guess we will know for certain after the high court challenge. It is also interesting to note that Brandis is a small l Liberal who might actually support same sex marriage (he called John Howard a "lying rodent" during the children overboard scandal) .

hidys

His opinion column on the HRLC pre-election didn't exactly fill me with confidence

His ideas of individual freedom seems to be letting Andrew Bolt say racist things and the incredibly weak media reforms, which is the way should be. While I'm probably in the minority here and I do believe Andrew Bolt should have a right to be racist though I thought the media reforms were important. If he really gave a shit about the rights of the individual, he would support a bill of rights (which the greens support).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom