• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Serving like a boss. Whatever happens now, they've delivered on the hype. We've got a five setter. Good luck to both of you. Whoever wins, it'll be well earned.

Mortemis

Banned
Fifth set! Whooooo!

Think I'm gonna cheer for Fed on this one, I think he can take the momentum in the first game. Wouldn't be sad one bit if Rafa gets it though. Let's get a great finale.

jett

D-Member
This has been a really breezy match. Barely 2.5 hours and we're already at the fifth set. I doubt either of these two is feeling the burn.

Going to a 5th! Worst part is I'll be up late as always and go to be bed disappointed and struggle to get to sleep. I have work early tomorrow I should just end my suffering now. So nervous.

Dispatch

Federer has never won back to back 5 setters. I hope today is the first time

He's also never lost to Nadal after winning two sets before Nadal has (I think that's what the graphic from ESPN posted), so something has to give.

It's probably Fed.Fed will give.

I hope Rog has a second wind, because his level's really dropped.

What needed to happen for the fifth unfolded exactly liked I'dI hoped. Roger went off the boil and Rafa broke him early. He went from looking tired to looking inspired. It matters so much, because Rafa, out of all the top players, feeds off confidence like nobody else.

Still, this match has been so up and down, who knows what's going to happen. You'd have to go with Rafa, though, based off their previous encounters, but who knows.

Kensuke

Honestly not the final I was hoping for. Sure, it's tense and all, but the quality is pretty low imo. Only the first set was decent, after that Federer made a massive amount of errors in the 2nd and 4th while Nadal faded a little in the 3rd. Let's see what fresh hell the 5th brings us.

Moobabe

I respect Roger, of course, and his game over the years has always been about hitting winners.

But man, that final Nadal service game, why not force Nadal to play? Just get the ball back instead of trying to hit the baseline on returns?

COME ON ROGER!

jett

D-Member
Honestly not the final I was hoping for. Sure, it's tense and all, but the quality is pretty low imo. Only the first set was decent, after that Federer made a massive amount of errors in the 2nd and 4th while Nadal faded a little in the 3rd. Let's see what fresh hell the 5th brings us.

Well they are both way past their prime and have arrived at this juncture by some minor miracle. :p

It has not been great tennis, but it's still great to watch these two go at it again.

oti

Banned
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ FEDERER TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

JBwB

May the momentum gods be on Federer's side this set!

MTO for Federer was for the exact same injury from last match.

FTF

Those differences in winners and unforced errors are crazy. Fed will kick himself for a looong time if he loses this.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well they are both way past their prime and have arrived at this juncture by some minor miracle. :p

It has not been great tennis, but it's still great to watch these two go at it again.

yeah, this is the end of Fedal. It can't not be. So it's just good to be here for the ride.

Snatches of brilliance, but nothing more. It was never going to top their Wimbledon finals, but it's a five setter nonetheless, and they're both trading on past glory with the odd moment of genius. The story of the fourth set is THAT shot and Federer completely going off the boil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom