• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

lm04

Neo Member
federer's backhand was just too good for nadal today. it showed the lack of variety in nadal's game when it is needed

yyzjohn

Banned
So awesome. All the haters beforehand thinking it was a foregone conclusion that Nadal would easily beat Fed. What a performance at his age!

JBwB

C3VnaC8WcAM1ing.jpg

Lmao

Smellycat

Roger Federer is the fourth man in the Open era to beat four top-10 seeds in one Grand Slam and the first to do so since Mats Wilander at the 1982 French Open. All four players who accomplished the feat won the Grand Slam at that tournament.

WOW and at 35 years old too

Ricker

This AO was awesome,on both sides,let's hope the others offer the same caliber later this year...Roland Garros is so far away.

Pachael

In his head, you know he has to be thinking that he can never top this moment at the Australian. He could be back next year or, 'if not', to quote the great man, then he won his last Aussie title beating his greatest rival in a thrilling five set match. The script is finished, it doesn't get any better than that for Roger Federer. Do we need another Lord Of The Rings style one-epilogue-too-many to blur the clarity of that moment?

Can't fault Fed if he's thinking of retirement especially after beating Rafa in a GS final after years of getting beaten by him.

JBwB

I need to sleep lol... It's 2 AM here in Melbourne and I'm only now coming off the high from Fed's win.

Such an amazing match... It's alongside the Wimbledon 08 final as both of the greatest tennis matches I've ever watched.

I turned off the TV when Roger got broken in the fifth and this is what I get lol

Me too but I couldn't stay away. I turned it on after 10 minutes. It feels soooo good to see Fed win a slam again. Rafa is a great competitor and when it's all said and done he may very well be the GOAT but tonight was Roger's night. Too many more slams to both (but more for Roger) 😋

Speevy

Banned
I think rooting for Federer is rooting for spending one more year in the presence of a sports legend.

Once a sports legend leaves, there's a giant hole that isn't always filled.

Serena, Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer have all done things that won't be done by others for perhaps decades after they all retire.

Wow. Also stopped watching after Rafa won the 4th set. Amazing job by both players really.
Anyone know if Fed changed his BH grip? I've never seen it hit with that kind of pace/spin before (even from shoulder high). It's no longer a weakness. Even with Stanimal it was very solid.

So many posts of Fed fans who switched off the TV after the fourth set. I'm glad Roger had a bit more steel in him than you guys. You're ALL terrible, terrible people.
I'm joking, I know as a Murray fan, it's hell when inevitability sets in and Djokovic destroys him. Sometimes you can be too invested.

lucius

Nadal looked physically as good as he ever much of the tournament that's why I thought even if Federer won a set or two Nadal would pull it out.

Slaythe

Nadal looked physically as good as he ever much of the tournament that's why I thought even if Federer won a set or two Nadal would pull it out.

It was really close.

It really could have gone either way.

Roger was in meltdown mode and managed to get his cool back, that made the difference.

And Nadal didn't know how to respond to the cool of Federer that late into the match.

There were a few psychological heavy points, like the 26 shots rally.

Man it really was a great match, we had so much ups and downs.

The only bad part being when Federer was just giving points for free, that's just frustrating to watch.

Bigfoot

It seemed like Fed was winning the longer rallies which isn't normal in their matches.

Also it's too bad Fed didn't have this backhand years ago. It might have changed the h2h a bit.

sam777

It seemed like Fed was winning the longer rallies which isn't normal in their matches.

Also it's too bad Fed didn't have this backhand years ago. It might have changed the h2h a bit.
I noticed the court did not really have a high bounce whenever Rafa was hitting topspin forehands, which probably aided Fed quiet a bit.

What a result to wake up to. I went to bed after the second set so I was delighted to see Federer won.

Watching the highlights, championship point was a bit anticlimactic but still looked like an exciting match.

It's insane that this happened

He hadn't beaten him in a slam in 10 years. Even taking into account Nadal has declined more than federer has and has a lot more miles on the clock due to his playstyle I still can't believe it.

sam777

Just like I said, if Federer can hit those winners he takes the match. I knew Nadal would get fewer unforced errors.

I think it is more of the fact that Rafa can't win cheap points on his serve, which especially against the good returners really hurts him.

I don't know why Nadal doesn't come to the net more. He has good hands at the net and had a really good conversion rate against Dimitrov in the SF. 24/27 net points won, I think.

Anyway, the game was always on Fed's racquet. Nadal looked tired and if Fed hadn't disintegrated in the fourth set, he could have got the job done in four. Happy for the sane Fed fans, though. It's been one way traffic being a Rafa fan when it came to Fedal matches, so I guess we were due a loss. I've said before, but I think it's made for a great narrative, Roger winning his 18th against Nadal of all people.

sam777

I don't know why Nadal doesn't come to the net more. He has good hands at the net and had a really good conversion rate against Dimitrov in the SF. 24/27 net points won, I think.

Anyway, the game was always on Fed's racquet. Nadal looked tired and if Fed hadn't disintegrated in the fourth set, he could have got the job done in four. Happy for the sane Fed fans, though. It's been one way traffic being a Rafa fan when it came to Fedal matches, so I guess we were due a loss. I've said before, but I think it's made for a great narrative, Roger winning his 18th against Nadal of all people.

Not sure how you felt after the match but I was proper depressed lol, just because this may have been Rafa's last chane at winning the AO. Hopefully he can win his 10th French title but that tournamnet seems so far away but I guess it will be here before we know it.
Yeah on fast hard courts he probably should come to the net more often, it will make his life easier. Also I hope Moya keeps working Rafa on his serve as it has improved but it still needs to be better.

There's something admirable about the friendship/rivalry between Fed and Rafa. One of the best all time, for sure. I just hope they don't start bickering with each other years from now during a charity event. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSK9t6OrgU

Never.

Nadal and Federer have something special: they actually root and support each other in a meaningful way. I think it comes from the mutual respect they have for each other which is pretty crazy considering how often they have ended each other's dreams and the age gap. You'd expect some vitroil in there but nope: both are humble gentleman and probably even thankful for being able to meet each other.

No surprise that they are the most popular tennis players of all time.

tahsutify

You mean everyone including the Fed fans?

Not me heh:

I instantly write Federer off in these situations against Nadal, but this time I feel different. Federer will get his chance.

Really glad that Federer won, but more importantly he showed that he is more than fit enough. I don't think comments like "it was great because it was probably his last" make much sense, he is a real contender for the Wimbledon this year (and of course for the US and France).

Man, both of their speeches were amazing. I love these two.

Rafa praising Federer.
Federer saying he would've liked if they could have drawn.

Such class.

Not sure how you felt after the match but I was proper depressed lol, just because this may have been Rafa's last chane at winning the AO. Hopefully he can win his 10th French title but that tournamnet seems so far away but I guess it will be here before we know it.
Yeah on fast hard courts he probably should come to the net more often, it will make his life easier. Also I hope Moya keeps working Rafa on his serve as it has improved but it still needs to be better.

I didn't feel that bad because I've been rooting for Federer to win his 18th for some time. I would have much preferred a Rafa win and it would have put a skip in my step for the rest of the day, but the fact that they delivered on the hype and gave us a great five setter was a good enough consolation prize. I'm happy he came this far and nearly won the damn thing, because last year was super depressing. First round loss to Verdasco. Still, nothing can come close to the pit of depression that was the 2012 final. I was in a foul mood for the rest of the day after that one.

Looking forward to the clay court season. That French Open withdrawal last year was gutting because, prior to that, I felt he'd been playing well enough to win it. Him puling out was a complete shock and watching his presser was a little bit heartbreaking. I think he's in with a great chance this year, providing he manages his schedule properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom