• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Zyzyxxz

Finally had a chance to get to the LA Auto Show today on the last day.

It's insane how awesome the Ford GT looks in person. Stunning car.

Also, been eyeing the Jag XE for a purchase next year, and it looked even better in person than in photos. So was really happy about that!

Was there last week and I agree the Ford GT is stunning. I want one. Maybe 2018 if my plans work haha!

But on a serious note the Jags are looking good this year, The F-Pace is pretty nice for a 40K car but there are some aspects where it does show its price. The F-Type R is just bonkers beautiful though.

FStop7

Banned
So the Porsche dealership I'm jogging past every couple of days now has 5 991 GT3RS (2 orange, silver, white, purple) and a red GT4 in the showroom. It's... impressive. I'm guessing they're all flip cars on consignment with insane markups.

There was another orange 991 GT3RS at the unaffiliated exotic dealership a couple of miles down the road, too. They're asking $368,000 for it. The place is notorious for being a money laundering front, etc. It's pretty much the real life version of the exotic car dealership Franklin worked for in GTA5.

This is the 2017 Lincoln MKZ refresh. It's 400 HP and 400 lbs of torque.

U3XgDHj.jpg

W4HN0fN.jpg

Bandit1

What a whirlwind day. Woke up, went to the dealership with my GTI (gone but not forgotten) loaded up with the stock Serron wheels and tires and traded her in.
Got my gunmetal Neuspeed RSE12 wheels with Continental DWS06 swapped over to the Golf R to be used as my winter set here in our mild Vancouver winters. Immediately after, sold the Cadiz Wheels and stock tires to a buyer who met up with me at the dealership.

Then drove straight to my buddy's place where we unwrapped the car and he spent about 7 hours washing, claying, polishing, sealing and waxing. He did a fantastic job detailing it and I'm not even going to be able to fully appreciate how much until I see it in the sunlight tomorrow. This is my first ever brand new car (I'm in my early/mid-30s and I've owned 4 previous cars bought used) and I wanted the whole experience of unwrapping it myself. I'm ecstatic about the car and it hasn't sunk in yet.

The salesguy was great in making sure they didn't wash the car and kept as much plastic wrap intact as possible.
Before picture and in-progress picture before it got too dark out to take pics:

tkzGCuS.jpg

i3wJm3F.jpg

Congrats! Looks great in blue. Have fun! Oh and you might have to change your avatar. ;)

U3XgDHj.jpg

W4HN0fN.jpg

The front actually looks quite similar to the Continental concept.

150330204854-lincoln-continental-1024x576.jpg

But yeah, I'm old school. Lincoln should be rear wheel drive. Stick a Coyote in it. It will be interesting to see what the production Continental looks like.

I thought it looked more like the current Jaguar front end.
But it's not that big of a deal. Car companies copy each other all the time lol.

I'm more making fun of how a majority of cars these days have a generic look to them lol.

That grill definitely does look Jaguar now that I look at it. Then again, Ford does seem to borrow front end designs from their old days. I still find it funny every time I see any of those Titanium trimmed Fords, I know that grill isn't exclusive to Aston Martin, but it's still funny to me in a way.

Now that Lincoln Continental Concept is hot sex though. I know it's basically an extended Ecoboost Mustang, but it still looks great.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

U3XgDHj.jpg

W4HN0fN.jpg

It's like they took the Continental concept and said, "OOH Like that! But make it droopy and shittier. Give it the sadness of a recalled Daewoo, and the vim and vigor of a condemned Kia"

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It's like they took the Continental concept and said, "OOH Like that! But make it droopy and shittier. Give it the sadness of a recalled Daewoo, and the vim and vigor of a condemned Kia"

What kills it is that swooping LED line.

MKZ design has always been weird. The back looks really cool and sharp, but the front is pretty meh. It's like you're looking at 2 different cars when you compare the front and back.

matmanx1

U3XgDHj.jpg

W4HN0fN.jpg

I think it's pretty boring. It's not offensive but neither is it any kind of beautiful. Ford can design a good looking car so maybe they were afraid of turning off prospective geriatric buyers with something that looked too sexy?

I don't really know what market Ford is trying to hit with Lincoln or who they think their prospective buyers are but I don't see this appealing to a large swath of luxury car buyers.

Mistel

Banned
I don't really know what market Ford is trying to hit with Lincoln or who they think their prospective buyers are but I don't see this appealing to a large swath of luxury car buyers.
35-45 market probably the crossovers for the younger audience. Lincoln's got a more of a old age problem than even Buick used to.

Lincoln is aiming for the younger market. Lincolns used to be for 65 and up. They're trying to for the 45+ making $150,000 a year crowd.

I always liked the split wring grill though. Never got the hate for that. It was easily one of my favorite grill designs. The new grill is good too. Now if you can sell a car based on only the grill.

FStop7

Banned
I think the Lincoln looks kind of cool. Lincoln, Caddy, and Buick make Old Man Cars. And I think by old man standards the Lincoln has a fresh look. The Towncar/Continental shape has been around for 20+ years. It needed a change. The high window lines on the doors are pretty clearly influenced by Rolls Royce and Bentley. But it doesn't come off as a cheap imitation like the 300C does.

I love when cold weather makes TPMS systems freak out.

Man, fuck this in the ass. Every time it happens it's a different tire and I always think "well this will be the one time I ignore it and it turns out to be real" so I dig out my tire pressure gauge and somehow always get grime on my hands when I'm dressed up to go somewhere nice, because that's the only occasion I have to drive these days. And it's always nothing.

AlphaSnake

I think the Lincoln looks kind of cool. Lincoln, Caddy, and Buick make Old Man Cars. And I think by old man standards the Lincoln has a fresh look. The Towncar/Continental shape has been around for 20+ years. It needed a change. The high window lines on the doors are pretty clearly influenced by Rolls Royce and Bentley. But it doesn't come off as a cheap imitation like the 300C does.

Man, fuck this in the ass. Every time it happens it's a different tire and I always think "well this will be the one time I ignore it and it turns out to be real" so I dig out my tire pressure gauge and somehow always get grime on my hands when I'm dressed up to go somewhere nice, because that's the only occasion I have to drive these days. And it's always nothing.

This is why I love both my Jag and M56 - the displays show which tire is low. I hated the guessing games of previous cars.

FStop7

Banned
This is why I love both my Jag and M56 - the displays show which tire is low. I hated the guessing games of previous cars.

Oh, my car does show me which tire it is. I just mean that every time I get a warning in cold weather it's never the same tire twice, which pretty much guarantees it's a false alarm... but I _know_ if I just ignore it and reset the sensors that will be the one time it turns out to be legit.

nitewulf

Seems like it's an OK price but it's a regular Carrera, not an S. IMO you're giving up a lot.

tell me why? I am ideally looking to purchase around march/april next year. The 911 S is a lot more expensive, and I don't think I'll ever need more than the 345 HP of the base.

I mean it's really between the Cayman base, S or the 911 base, I can swing the difference depending on how I like the drive, but I do feel I'll utilize the extra room of the 911.

Pterion

tell me why? I am ideally looking to purchase around march/april next year. The 911 S is a lot more expensive, and I don't think I'll ever need more than the 345 HP of the base.

I mean it's really between the Cayman base, S or the 911 base, I can swing the difference depending on how I like the drive, but I do feel I'll utilize the extra room of the 911.
Not an expert or anything, but if it was my money, I'd get a base 991 instead of a Cayman S.

AlphaSnake

Get the 911. Better looking car, imo. Downright stunner. A little bit heavier than a Cayman, but in NYC you won't care or notice.

Negotiate the shit out of that price, though. Take them down to $60K. I promise you they took that car in for about 55K.

Unless you're looking for something to take to the track sometimes I don't think the price jump to the S is worth it (still about $15k difference). If it's going to be a daily in NYC, you definitely don't need the S.

I think I'd want one with PASM for city driving, though.

Assuming you're in NYC based on what Alpha said. Also going to ditto the beauty comment, the 991 is crazy good looking.

Rengoku

If those are your choices, I'd lean towards the 911. You'll still be plenty happy with the base carrera. The 991 generation cars are gorgeous.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished getting my TX state inspection done ($25) and renewing my registration ($80).
On the bright side, I had a coupon for $5 off of the inspection and now there will be one less sticker in my windshield.

Just finished getting my TX state inspection done ($25) and renewing my registration ($80).
On the bright side, I had a coupon for $5 off of the inspection and now there will be one less sticker in my windshield.

Lucky.

I got my inspection done on February 1st of this year hoping to avoid that, but nope... damn dealership still counted my inspection as January even though it was the 1st already.

I still have 2 stickers on my Miata. :(

FStop7

Banned

I think the S is worth it for the brakes and suspension, the extra low end grunt from the larger engine is nice but probably not a big difference in of itself. If you're not planning on tracking it then the regular Carrera isn't going to seem different. The slightly taller ride height might even be preferable - somewhat easier to deal with speed bumps and parking stones.

Bandit1

Lucky.

I got my inspection done on February 1st of this year hoping to avoid that, but nope... damn dealership still counted my inspection as January even though it was the 1st already.

I still have 2 stickers on my Miata. :(

Dang you guys have to run plates on the front in Texas too right?

Dang you guys have to run plates on the front in Texas too right?

Yup, just had to go through that game. Damn near $200 for me for registration plus $7 or something for the safety inspection. 2 plates. It doesn't look as bad as I was expecting on the front of my Mazda3, though.

Anion

I'm so glad we don't have to put front plates on where I live. Honestly would ruin the look of my car. Then again, I would just get like a tow hook attachment for it if I lived in a state that required it...or just not install it lol

matmanx1

Front plates are such an eyesore. I feel sorry for you folks that have to legally run with them.

In regards to the 911 vs the Cayman, I would definitely have to drive them back to back on the same day. The 911 is what it is but some folks definitely prefer the driving dynamics of the mid-engine Cayman. I know the 987 Cayman I drove a while back was one of the best driving experiences of my entire life and the new ones are even better, right?

And there's also the consideration that you could spec out a brand new Cayman exactly how you wanted it for the same money as a pre-owned 911. It's always wise to consider all options.

AlphaSnake

Front plates are such an eyesore. I feel sorry for you folks that have to legally run with them.

In regards to the 911 vs the Cayman, I would definitely have to drive them back to back on the same day. The 911 is what it is but some folks definitely prefer the driving dynamics of the mid-engine Cayman. I know the 987 Cayman I drove a while back was one of the best driving experiences of my entire life and the new ones are even better, right?

And there's also the consideration that you could spec out a brand new Cayman exactly how you wanted it for the same money as a pre-owned 911. It's always wise to consider all options.

A brand new Cayman with specs to your liking will cost A LOT more than a $60K used 911...

Also driving dynamics are a moot point in NYC. And NiteWulf owns a 328i hardtop convertible, which isn't exactly a great handling or fast BMW to begin with.

Bandit1

Yup, just had to go through that game. Damn near $200 for me for registration plus $7 or something for the safety inspection. 2 plates. It doesn't look as bad as I was expecting on the front of my Mazda3, though.

Well, technically you're supposed to. But I've been running front plateless for 3 years and haven't had any issues with it.

Besides, where are you gonna put a front plate on the bumper:

*knocks on wood*

Right on top of the Mazda emblem or over one of the fog lights lol.

I feel for you guys, no front plates or inspection stickers up here in Oklahoma thankfully.

Top Bottom