• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 3: Fire and Ash - December 2025

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

GUlnyN0XQAAP9uy.jpg%3Alarge

Last edited:
Say what you want but i prefer the second movie and i will be seated for this.
Yeah scripts are basic but the lore, the special effects… These movies have heart and you can tell the team behind them really work on these titles with love and care.

I always leave them thinking it will be a long time until i see something like them again and im right so far.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Can't get into these movies and I don't know why. I've tried the first Avatar three times now and I always fall asleep within the first half hour. They're visually obviously very impressive, but nothing about the script, acting, cinematography, score, or scenario even remotely interests me for some reason. This franchise is one of those that I legitimately can't understand what I'm missing, as it's just so relentlessly unenjoyable to watch. Pumped for those who love these movies though, I'm legit glad that the fans of the franchise get to keep coming back to this world to explore more, very cool.

Doom85

Excited Wake Up GIF by Originals

First movie was okay, second film bored me to tears and also had some baffling directions. It’ll take a god tier trailer to convince me to sit through another one of these.

People excuse the scripts, but if anything the scripts should be even under higher scrutiny when they had 13 years to nail it (and all they could come up with was bring back the one good element of the first, the villain, and that was only due to the actor, the character himself was your average asshole corrupt general). Terminator 1 and 2 and Aliens had solid scripts along with the other elements, Avatar’s repeated failure in the former just wore me down. Good god, the first few scenes alone with the Marines in Aliens made them more memorable than the Avatar leads after two entire films. Honestly, there’s barely any difference between the Avatars and 2019 Lion King: all a pretty special effects picture but zero soul.

SJRB

Gold Member
The continuing massive success of this franchise is still inexplicable to me. The storytelling is horrible.

It's just a three hour theme park ride. You walk in, wow at the experience while your brain doesn't actively processes anything that happens and then you walk out. That's why literally no one ever talks about these movies: they have zero cultural value and people forget they watched one just like people forget about being in a rollercoaster 15 minutes after it happened.

People go for the visual splendor, nobody actually cares about the story or characters.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'll definitely be going to see this in IMAX, nobody makes a movie quite like James Cameron and whilst they haven't entered into pulp culture reverence like his other flicks, the story for me is just fluff padded around the insane visuals and technical wizardry

Valedix

Avatar 2 at 60 fps in 3D IMAX was a religious experience. its the reason why we go to cinema. shame the 4k blurays arent 60 fps or 3d.
I was surprised 3D is still used in select movies in 2024. Deadpool & Wolverine was also having a 3D showing but those glasses are damn expensive, like an addition $10 (maybe more) for a $20 ticket here in Aistralia.

Toons

The continuing massive success of this franchise is still inexplicable to me. The storytelling is horrible.

His movies are simple, old school hero stories. Theres little else to them. But it cannot be denied they transport you to another planet for 3 hours. Fully realized.

There was a time when film was an experience simply impossible to recreate outside of the theater. With how good TV FX have gotten we've lost some of that, but these movies are as close as it gets to that vestige. Its simply an experience you cannot get anywhere else, even if it doesn't reinvent the wheel

That's why even after a decade EVERYONE turns up to see these things and it makes a gazillion dollars.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Can't get into these movies and I don't know why. I've tried the first Avatar three times now and I always fall asleep within the first half hour. They're visually obviously very impressive, but nothing about the script, acting, cinematography, score, or scenario even remotely interests me for some reason. This franchise is one of those that I legitimately can't understand what I'm missing, as it's just so relentlessly unenjoyable to watch. Pumped for those who love these movies though, I'm legit glad that the fans of the franchise get to keep coming back to this world to explore more, very cool.
Watch the alternate ending to Titanic and realize that James Cameron is constantly teetering on the edge of farce. He’s been lucky the ’x factor’ was there for most of his movies, but Avatar obviously doesn’t have it, whatever ’it’ is.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Part 2 had water people, this will have fire people and part 4 will have wind people I'm guessing? I can't wait.
I watched the original on a borrowed Blu Ray to see what the fuss was about. Didn't bother with the sequel doubt I'll watch these either.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I really liked part 1. Part 2, however, was far too long and had nothing new or interesting to say. I'm looking forward to the fights but the new Fire Navi. They'll probably be even more boring than the water Navi.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This looks darker and scarier, and probably more action-packed.

Watch the alternate ending to Titanic and realize that James Cameron is constantly teetering on the edge of farce. He’s been lucky the ’x factor’ was there for most of his movies, but Avatar obviously doesn’t have it, whatever ’it’ is.

I'm praying your post is farce, bud. For reasons obvious to, well, anyone.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ill watch them when he finishes the entire franchise.
u7p0CCi.jpeg

The Disney thread has me thinking about stuff like 20,000 leagues under the sea. Camerons decades long orbit around Avatar has deprived us of SO MANY other things, I would have LOVED to see him tackle Nemo. It seems right up his alley as well; massive underwater epic, strong environmental/anti-capitalist theme and POCs already baked in, and he could easily gender swap a character or two to have his usual strong female lead (as some adaptations have already done). While I like the Avatar films, I don't think they are worth the half dozen or more other things Cameron could have given us with his energy.

poodaddy

Holy Christ that was awful haha. Amateur shit, and as preachy and hamfisted as a Lifetime special circa 1993. Thanks for sharing that.

Trilobit

The writing and stories in these movies is nothing memorable, but I'll still be sitting there with 3D goggles in my local theater day one. The visual experience makes it worth.

Ironbunny

Say what you want but i prefer the second movie and i will be seated for this.
Yeah scripts are basic but the lore, the special effects… These movies have heart and you can tell the team behind them really work on these titles with love and care.

I always leave them thinking it will be a long time until i see something like them again and im right so far.

I think so too. The second one imo is more rewatchable.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

But thats not what they went with. You can only really judge what shows up in the theater, everything else is wishes and wind.

Cameron filmed it, scored it, may have even tested it, but ultimately someone there said hells no and we got a 2 billion dollar ROI instead.

I think some of you guys werent there for Titanic. I was and that film was a GODDAMN FORCE OF NATURE with how it sucked folks in. I knew girls that saw it a half dozen times because of the Leo/Kate relationship, never mind the ship. Avatar is the same way, there is somefing in da (fooking) wahtah with Cameron that transcends the film itself. You can see the lack when he hands stuff off to others and its a hot mess.

E-Cat

But thats not what they went with. You can only really judge what shows up in the theater, everything else is wishes and wind.

Cameron filmed it, scored it, may have even tested it, but ultimately someone there said hells no and we got a 2 billion dollar ROI instead.

I think some of you guys werent there for Titanic. I was and that film was a GODDAMN FORCE OF NATURE with how it sucked folks in. I knew girls that saw it a half dozen times because of the Leo/Kate relationship, never mind the ship. Avatar is the same way, there is somefing in da (fooking) wahtah with Cameron that transcends the film itself. You can see the lack when he hands stuff off to others and its a hot mess.
No, that’s what I’m saying — he had good people around him for Titanic that thwarted a potential disaster.

bitbydeath

Part 2 had water people, this will have fire people and part 4 will have wind people I'm guessing? I can't wait.
I watched the original on a borrowed Blu Ray to see what the fuss was about. Didn't bother with the sequel doubt I'll watch these either.
Part 1 was wind, part 4 will probably be Earth.

Last edited:

Doom85

Part 1 was wind, part 4 will probably be Earth.

Face Palm GIF

Please tell me Cameron never referred to the first movie as “wind” or “air”. And that movies 3 and 4 won’t actually be Fire and Earth respectively in terms of part of the film’s subtitle.

If this is legit, yeah no, by all means, just invite the comparisons to the Avatar cartoon. I certainly know which one has far more heart, memorable characters, and better dialogue.

And yes, I’m aware Cameron had the basic idea for Avatar since the 90’s or maybe even earlier, but he could use the elemental aspect without shoving it into the title of the movies. I’m sorry, as a massive fan of the animated Avatar, no justification can be made that won’t have me seeing this as tacky if these films actually have Fire and Earth in the titles of 3 and 4 since, sorry Cameron, the Avatar cartoon already did that with their seasons. Yes, I know he needed time for the “technology to get there” before making the first film, but at the end of the day, you snooze, you lose. You can have an idea for a story, but if you take too long to actually get it out there and coincidentally someone comes out with some of that idea first, take it like a champ, make the necessary alterations, and move on.

And before someone says, “well, Cameron might not know the Avatar cartoon did that angle”, I find it hard to believe if he made it clear this was the plan years back that no one on his massive team brought it up.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Hopefully I get around to seeing the second one by then. I still don't know why I haven't seen it because I really enjoyed the first one.

Edgelords think these movies are trash.

Those of us who want proper cinematic spectacles love em.

I know right? everybody claims to hate it so I'm here thinking I'm the only person who thought the way of water was fucking awesome, then new movie comes out and it makes 2.5 billion and I'm confused as I only saw it 6 times.

Avatar is better than Terminator 2, there I said it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom