• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AZ GOP Fascists Vote To Debate Bill That Treats Protests As Organized Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.
This tactic will be coming to a Red State near you, soon. Chilling First Ammendment activities by intentionally mislabling protesters as mafiosos.

To all the "moderate Republicans" who will make excuses, and claim that they oppose Trump's authoritarian bent, your run-of-the-mill Goober who responds when you need a pothole filled, is more than capable of staying silent when the banality of evil is standing on their doorstep. So remember folks: a moderate Republican is just a boot-licking fascist who hasn't been given their goose-stepping orders, yet.

SB1142 expands the state’s racketeering laws, now aimed at organized crime, to also include rioting. And it redefines what constitutes rioting to include actions that result in damage to the property of others.

But the real heart of the legislation is what Democrats say is the guilt by association — and giving the government the right to criminally prosecute and seize the assets of everyone who planned a protest and everyone who participated. And what’s worse, said Sen. Steve Farley, D-Tucson, is that the person who may have broken a window, triggering the claim there was a riot, might actually not be a member of the group but someone from the other side.

http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2017/02/22/arizona-senate-crackdown-on-protests/

We're going to need a bigger ACLU.

Damn good point: Donate to the ACLU

[Steal my jewels, if old]

If we criminalize protests and limit the media to state-sponsored propaganda, the illusion of democracy is pretty much gone. We're basically Turkey but better dressed.

Krakn3Dfx

Saw this last night, GOP's self perceived mandate to lock down the system, shut up the dissenters.

This kind of stuff only ends with a revolution, the GOP's scare tactics are living in the 1960s in a 21st century America.

If we criminalize protests and limit the media to state-sponsored propaganda, the illusion of democracy is pretty much gone. We're basically Turkey but better dressed.

I have a fear that we are sowing the seeds of our own destruction, and that we are going to see a tumultuous time, filled with jailed activists and blatantly political prisoners. Dog have mercy on us all.

WedgeX

Banned
I wonder what political action group has been writing these bills. This is at least the sixth, maybe even higher, bill in the last month. And we all know that GOP legislator hate to actually write legislation I'm sure the wording is similar in each, too.

liquidtmd

Banned
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they started labelling protestors against Trump policy 'terrorists' explicitly with that language

Because why not.

Says fucking you.

Alvina-Modern-Hijab-Clothing-2013-New-Season-Models-7.jpg

Turkey has some boss-ass fashion.

...but yeah, we're pretty much Erdogan's bed buddy at that point.

Foffy

Banned
Saw this last night, GOP's self perceived mandate to lock down the system, shut up the dissenters.

This kind of stuff only ends with a revolution, the GOP's scare tactics are living in the 1960s in a 21st century America.

Revolution is likely needed as is. The Republicans, acting from a perspective of ego and all of its ills, will be the right fuel for this flame.

Their own greed will be their own undoing. By all means, weaponize dissent: you'll only incentivize it as these fools will absolutely engage in activity that necessitates dissent.

Where does dissent go when it's suppressed and followed almost immediately by an attack and likely continued neoliberal commodification against the public wellbeing? I can assure you not with roses and smiles. These dumb motherfuckers are sowing seeds of upheaval, whether or not they even realize it.

You'd assume the town hall responses they've been getting are clear enough proof of this...

RinsFury

Fuck every single person that voted for this republican fascist scum. Let's see these fucks try this somewhere else.

Yep. Hope everyone who had a fit over BLM blocking traffic is happy. People listened and are stripping America's freedom right in front of your eyes.

Toxi

Banned
I am sure this attack on freedom of expression will receive condemnation from all the folks who were concerned about Berkeley shutting down Milo.

Something tells me it won't pass the Supreme Court. You can't preemptively criminalize a constitutional right on the idea that maybe that right could used in something illegal.

Then what is to stop states from instituting strong gun safety laws on the idea that those same types of guns could be used in something illegal down the road. Same logic. But if they want to open pandora's box...

Something tells me it won't pass the Supreme Court. You can't preemptively criminalize a constitutional right on the idea that maybe that right could used in something illegal.

Then what is to stop states from instituting strong gun safety laws on the idea that those same types of guns could be used in something illegal down the road. Same logic. But if they want to open pandora's box...

A couple years ago I would be confident that this is a 'message bill' meant to elevate some no-name back bencher to prominence, but this is AZ, home to the "Papers, Please" law. They are this stoopid and venal.

Our generation has a great burden on our shoulders, and it is in realizing that there are active enemies of our democracy operating on our soil, and moments seen in our nation's history only in 1776, 1861, 1942, and 2020 (every ~85 years) is upon us.

The clear vission for our country's future has to be progressive, fair, inclusive, about collaboration, about taping into the inner strengths of all Americans, and away from our current unsustainable corporate fascism.

Foffy

Banned
First amendment.

Only to the newly classified people known as corporations. After all, they are an evolution and extension of man. The new "body" of humanity, if our values on social wellbeing are to be taken from Republican values...better to care for a stock market number and ignore the fact tens of millions are part of a precariat class.

Our generation has a great burden on our shoulders, and it is in realizing that there are active enemies of our democracy operating on our soil, and moments seen in our nation's history only in 1776, 1861, 1942, and 2020 (every ~85 years) is upon us.

The clear vission for our country's future has to be progressive, fair, inclusive, about collaboration, about taping into the inner strengths of all Americans, and away from our current unsustainable corporate fascism.

What alarms me is our generation may not only have huge burdens on its shoulders, but it may, in fact, have the largest boulders pressed onto it at any historical point.

- Climate change isn't something we have 500 years to fix. We may even have less than 50, and I am being generous.
- The looming automation tsunami that will usurp the notions of traditional labor, producing illogical violence for we've not adapted with the times regarding policies.
- The increasing inequality hitting unheard levels.
- The rise of the precariat, leading to populism and political "escapism" regarding solutions hitting the previous generation, leaving the blooming generation without a political and cultural language to enact meaningful change within the traditional operating system.

The first three are huge issues by themselves, and yet they're directly intertwined. We have Republicans literally saying a solution to climate change is to improve socioeconomic wellbeing, and that really says it all on what responses they consider reasonable...

Many protests today look more like riots so I understand why they want to, but still a bad idea.

And some of the most historically influential protests like the Boston Tea Party and Stonewall were riots but thankfully they just ignore that to justify their own bull

CassSept

Isn't this akin to that theory that Steve Bannon believes in?

Over here in Europe this is having a curious effect: the taming rethoric that moderates have towards marches, protests, minority rights... is gone, and now they hate the republicans as much as the leftwing does.
So here, this is uniting us. Stay strong, Real America.

GOP trying real hard to make the joke "third world country with great military and some corporations" a reality.

White voters are going to learn the hard way that republicans don't give a fuck about them. GOP going after them as quickly as the brown/black people they wink about.

Foffy

Banned
Isn't this akin to that theory that Steve Bannon believes in?

Steve Bannon wants a Christian military, IIRC...

I don't think it's too much to say that at times, political views and those in power are part of a social conflict within the borders of a country. This "loops" because human beings are never constantly unified.

Noam Chomsky has called the GOP the greatest threat to civilization. I find it hard to object to his claims.

Note that under a statute like this (which would never pass in California, but still), every Berkeley student who protested Milo would have been subject to asset forfeiture (how is this a legal penalty anyway) and possibly jail time.

Glix

GOP trying real hard to make the joke "third world country with great military and some corporations" a reality.

White voters are going to learn the hard way that republicans don't give a fuck about them. GOP going after them as quickly as the brown/black people they wink about.

Of course. Their biggest con is getting poor and working class whites to vote for them.

Its why we immediately assume racism and what not, because its so non-intuitive to see them vote that way.

Foffy

Banned
Note that under a statute like this (which would never pass in California, but still), every Berkeley student who protested Milo would have been subject to asset forfeiture (how is this a legal penalty anyway) and possibly jail time.

The joke would be on California, as the protesters likely have little assets because they're Millennials. ;)

You can't take things people likely will never have, right..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom