• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backpacking/camping GAF - Do you exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Of all the horrible things that have happened over the past year or so, there is one thing that I am grateful for and keeps me sane - backpacking. Going into the outskirts or unpopulated areas and reconnecting with nature is a pretty amazing experience. Being in complete silence with a group of friends while looking at the stars is an amazing experience. Getting to see views/sights/wildlife and generally things that most other humans will never see is amazing.

I've found a comment on the spiritual experience of camping/backpacking that I resonated with. It might seem like a bit much to some of you. And I know it's from some random dude on reddit, but I don't really care.

coulombic said:
Have you ever completed something so hard that it left you feeling utterly drained, burned, and even worse than that, still? Then, upon completion, you were able to unburden yourself, and appreciate one of the most beautiful places on Earth? If you've done nothing of this sort, perhaps try challenging yourself, pushing yourself to an absolute breaking limit, and see if you reach a level of beauty that borders spirituality.

The spirituality element of it is what resonated with me. I'm not religious at all but when you're alone in the wilderness, you feel a sense of spirituality that is pretty unique. That's a big reason why I love it.

So, GAF - how about it - have you gone on any camping trips, backpacking trips, hikes? Tell me about them. Pictures, if you them. You don't have to follow my format.

I'll start with a few of my own trips:

Trans-Catalina Trail | California
Total Distance: ~50 miles total
Total nights: 3

My first solo backpacking trip. Super safe, surprisingly secluded, don't have to worry about water at all. Good amount of wildlife. Steep trails. A great beginner backpacking trip. Don't go during the summer (no shade).
gJevUed.jpg
yn4bmcQ.jpg
W6XcvLw.jpg
9GYIwVE.jpg

Channel Islands National Park | California
Total Distance: ~8 miles
Total nights: 1

Great place to camp if you want to find something remote in California. You gotta pay to get to the island, but it's uninhabited. When we arrived there was a storm, so we didn't get to experience hiking a lot on the island. But it was pretty damn cool to be alone on an island in a storm.
xh4eVUp.jpg
UKDa0gN.jpg
gXz20RZ.jpg

I don't get too off the grid, but I do enjoy camping about 5-6 times a year. I help run my sons cub scout den too, so we have done some backpacking in Joshua Tree and areas near the Colorado River in AZ. Would love to push it further.

Headed to Yosemite again this year, intend to climb a bit. Next year I'm targeting Big Sur.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Right now mine is packed as a bug out bag. If in the event the world gets a little too crazy my family and I are ready for an extended stay in the Cascades.

I went on an amazing excursion last summer in the Rocky Mountains. I'll see if I can update with some pictures soon.

YaBish

Backpacking is amazing, and I wish I had more friends that would be down for that sorta thing. The longest I've done was a 70 mile trek in New Mexico a few years ago.

Checking in. Living in Arizona has a lot of downs. Backpacking is not one of them.
As somebody from Nebraska who has done some trail runs in AZ, this guy is telling the truth, and I'm insanely jealous.

Syncytia

I've never backpacked but I love camping. I've been replacing my gear with backpacking friendly stuff this winter, so hopefully this summer I'll be able to get out a lot. Probably going to go out next month actually, not sure if we will be backpacking in anywhere though.

Checking in. Living in Arizona has a lot of downs. Backpacking is not one of them.

*high five*

Any recommendations for backpacking locations? I've pretty much only done car camping up on the rim near Payson.

ant_

Backpacking is amazing, and I wish I had more friends that would be down for that sorta thing. The longest I've done was a 70 mile trek in New Mexico a few years ago.

What's the New Mexico trail like? I just imagine that water would be a challenge. Don't know much about the climate there

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I love camping but I'm not a fan of hiking to camp. I go off crown land with my truck as I prefer a nice air mattress (non self inflating) over a hammock.

I've never backpacked but I love camping. I've been replacing my gear with backpacking friendly stuff this winter, so hopefully this summer I'll be able to get out a lot. Probably going to go out next month actually, not sure if we will be backpacking in anywhere though.

*high five*

Any recommendations for backpacking locations? I've pretty much only done car camping up on the rim near Payson.

Actually yes, I have tons of recommendations but to start get these two on your list of must do.

Havasupai falls and Aravaipa Canyon. Both of these trails are brilliant and really show a part of Arizona that many people do not even begin to believe exist. The Grand Canyon and the trails within are also all great. If you live in Phoenix you are lucky because everything is within a 2-6 hour drive.

The other great thing about Arizona is that geographically we are next to some of the best backpacking in North America. California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, New Mex...

Actually I am going to stop myself now. West Coast is just great for all things outdoors. I hope to see more people join in on this topic as camping and backpacking are truly phenomenal hobbies to have.

Took a 4 day trip into the Boundary Waters with some friends last year. Try to go camping as much as possible. Most of my trips are just local hike in sites for a night or two during the weekend.

IMG_5922.jpg

IMG_5861.jpg

IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg

Wife is a big outdoor enthusiast as well. We're planning a big backpacking trip to Kauai for early 2018.

Kill3r7

Use to but due to life and work have not done so in about 3 years. I wiill certainly start doing more camping once the kids get older.

I do backpacking but no camping for 3 years in a row (will be 4 now), does that count? Or do you have to go to secluded places for it count? :S

I will likely go to a Nordic 2 week run in Europe this summer. Thinking of maybe going to Spain first since flights are cheap, got some friends there and one of the two other people wants to go there badly. After that, move up and spend it at three separate countries in the Nordic regions. I'm sure we will go and find some quiet and fun places. I need to start doing some research by the end of the month or early next month though.

Likely going to British Columbia this summer as well for a week. That should offer a ton of nature, even though I plan to visit Vancouver since one of my buddies lives there.

Got some great trips planned this year, I'm really excited to be honest. Backpacking in EU or random continent is amazingly fun and unexpected though. Easy to move, hostel it up and enjoy life. What a time to be alive. :')

bremon

We just started camping again last year, it had been years prior to that. We hike, but generally drive somewhere, setup camp somewhere accessible then hike from there. We haven't had hiking/biking excursions over multiple days setting up and tearing down camp as we go. My SO has a bad back from multiple car accidents, etc. so sleeping pads etc. are inadequate for her for an extended amount of time. It's great to load the pelicans with food and drink, throw the tent etc. in the truck and know we don't have to worry about much of anything for days though.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, I've been backpacking almost my entire life, ever since I was like 5 and my parents took me. Haven't been in about 2 years, however which is a real bummer.

If I ever get access to some of the pictures, I'll post them.

Oppo

trying to do more of it.

done some guided hiking (or "glamping"), safaris, Machu Picchu hike, Algonquin hikes. I want to do more. Those pics in the OP look fantastic.

I've actually been doing little 10k excursions around my house with a loaded pack to get in better shape as spring approaches.

Aiming to do a chunk of the Bruce Trail this summer. I need to get a stove. (I dig the BioLite one but it seems problematic in some ways. Apparently Ontario park wardens really dislike them) I received a decent sleeping pad and an Anker solar charger for xmas which is great. Been slowly amassing decent gear for years, back when the worry was Peak Oil at least, ha.

ant_

Took a 4 day trip into the Boundary Waters with some friends last year. Try to go camping as much as possible. Most of my trips are just local hike in sites for a night or two during the weekend.

IMG_5922.jpg

IMG_5861.jpg

IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg

Wife is a big outdoor enthusiast as well. We're planning a big backpacking trip to Kauai for early 2018.

Awesome pictures. Do you just sleep under that tarp? I'd love to go backpacking/camping in a place I could bring a kayak and travel to my next destination. I think Catalina Island has a few spots like that.

What's a good website to find trails that take longer than a couple hours?

I typically just google search a few weeks prior. AllTrails is a good starting point. If you're in the US, just find a local State/National Park or National Forest and call the ranger station. National Forests are great places to camp because you can camp pretty much anywhere (100 feet away from trails) and it's free. Typically you'll need to call the park ranger anyways to get a permit and ask for advice.

That's the weirdest thing about camping nowadays. The infrastructure is still so old that the best way to learn more information is to simply talk to park rangers.

Where are you located?

Awesome pictures. Do you just sleep under that tarp? I'd love to go backpacking/camping in a place I could bring a kayak and travel to my next destination. I think Catalina Island has a few spots like that.

So with this trip we had to portage everything in and out. There's strict rules about what you can bring in with you and there's almost no cell phone service. So with this trip I went ultralight and just slept in a hammock with a tarp over it for rain/warmth. It worked perfectly.

When my wife and I go camping we tend to use a small tent since we don't mind sleeping close together.

The portaging can be real brutal. I'm an avid kayaker too. Kayak camping is great, but if you have a lot of land hiking between, I recommend a canoe. A kayak is an absolutely monster to portage. However, if you're talking a large body of water and just stopping on the shoreline to camp - kayak is the way to go.

Appleman

I used to go as often as I could, but work makes it a little more difficult. Still completed my Adirondacks 46 at the end of 2015, and last year got a few trips in.

This was Granite Dome in California last November. Super fun one night trip, mostly off trail.

JP_

Banned

From a few camping trips in Texas.

My back doesn't do well sleeping on the ground so I've started to get into hammock camping. I have pretty much all the equipment I need to go backpacking but haven't had a chance yet -- soon want to take a trip up to Ozarks.

ant_

So with this trip we had to portage everything in and out. There's strict rules about what you can bring in with you and there's almost no cell phone service. So with this trip I went ultralight and just slept in a hammock with a tarp over it for rain/warmth. It worked perfectly.

When my wife and I go camping we tend to use a small tent since we don't mind sleeping close together.

The portaging can be real brutal. I'm an avid kayaker too. Kayak camping is great, but if you have a lot of land hiking between, I recommend a canoe. A kayak is an absolutely monster to portage. However, if you're talking a large body of water and just stopping on the shoreline to camp - kayak is the way to go.

Yeah, I've never portaged. To be honest, I had to look up the word after you mentioned it so many times. Jesus, that seems brutal. I can imagine why you went ultralight. I've added the boundary waters to my to-do list.

From a few camping trips in Texas.

My back doesn't do well sleeping on the ground so I've started to get into hammock camping. I have pretty much all the equipment I need to go backpacking but haven't had a chance yet -- soon want to take a trip up to Ozarks.

These pictures are beautiful man. I want to get into hammock camping as well, but I just bought a tarptent so I'm sticking with that for now. If you get a good hammock/topquilt/underquilt, you're set. There's a YouTube channel I watch about hammock camping, it's great: https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Have you tried a thicker thermarest sleeping pad?

Oppo

I need to get a stove.

I bought a stove! Windburner 1.8L, plus the frying pan. 'cause that is just cool to have as an option. oh also the coffee press thingy. it's a bit big for solo camping but I wanted one that was appropriate for me + my wife when she comes with me, and thought maybe get a 1.0 container for her as well.

Next up, I have my eye on that Asym Zip Hennessy Hammock. Who has one? I am hoping I can get by without the underquilt as those things really cost.

Oppo

. If you get a good hammock/topquilt/underquilt, you're set. There's a YouTube channel I watch about hammock camping, it's great: https://www.youtube.com/user/shugem...dd duck but he knows what he's talking about.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Any one have any experience with flying with your gear?

Heading out to the east coast for a camping trip and I was hoping that I could get away with my small pack (clothes, one-man tent, sleeping pad and bag) as my carry-on. But thinking about it now, I bet they won't let me past security with my tent stakes.

Worth it to just buy cheap stakes on the other side or should I just check it all?

YaBish

What's the New Mexico trail like? I just imagine that water would be a challenge. Don't know much about the climate there
Sorry, just noticed your quote due to the bump.

Northern New Mexico is fairly forested. Water wasn't really an issue that I can recall, though I suppose that it varies depending on the trail you take.

Climate varies quite a bit. We went in early June, and if you get down in the desert areas it can be scorching. But at the same time we saw snow when we got over 11,000 ft, so again it really depends on your itinerary.

Sheppard

Sorry, just noticed your quote due to the bump.

Northern New Mexico is fairly forested. Water wasn't really an issue that I can recall, though I suppose that it varies depending on the trail you take.

Climate varies quite a bit. We went in early June, and if you get down in the desert areas it can be scorching. But at the same time we saw snow when we got over 11,000 ft, so again it really depends on your itinerary.

What trail did you end up doing? Lake Katherine?

Izayoi

Banned
My wife and I LOVE hiking and camping. We just got back from a three day trip to the Olympic National Forest.

We're working our way up to ultralight/backpacking, but have really enjoyed the hikes that the PNW has to offer.

In fact, I was just about to head out for a local hike when I saw this thread. I have a few pictures I might post later.

I love camping. Been doing quite a bit this summer, backpacking? Not so much, as I just like to set up camp and chill. I'll probably advance to backpacking in the future. When I can afford more Portable gear to lug around.

Love camping and backpacking..unfortunately my wife does not, so it's been somewhat hindering. i tried once to take her camping and it was a complete bust. still trying to get her into it.

My girlfriend and I are going to backpack (with some driving) and camp across Iceland and Scotland this fall. I plan on bringing my 4x5 Large Format Field Camera. I'm fairly experienced in backpacking, but not with a 10lb camera haha. I've been slowly upgrading my gear to ultralight, and I'm hoping to do the same with my camera (found one that only weighs 3lbs).

We're super excited! My gf has camped plenty, including some below 0°F nights, but she's never been backpacking yet!

Love camping and backpacking..unfortunately my wife does not, so it's been somewhat hindering. i tried once to take her camping and it was a complete bust. still trying to get her into it.
My gf had never been camping until we started dating. I took her backcountry camping at White Sands, NM and she loved it! But I remember having to bend over backwards to make sure she was as comfortable as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom