• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 Still Reaching 100K Daily Steam Players One Year After Launch

Draugoth

Gold Member
Baldur’s Gate 3 shocked the industry last year. Not only did it win the prestigious GOTY award, but it also redefined the perception of RPGs, elevating Larian Studios to unimaginable heights.

However, the game is nearly one year old today. Released in August 2023, this RPG hit nearly 1 million concurrent players at its peak. Almost a full year later, it continues to show strong results, hitting 100K concurrent players each day.

Why it matters: Such longevity is typically the goal for multiplayer titles. Even then, very few games achieve these types of player counts, with most rapidly losing players in a few months.

Baldur's Gate 3 Steam Player Count

Baldur’s Gate 3 Steam Player​

According to SteamDB, the game peaked at over 112K players in the last 24 hours. While impressive, this is nothing out of the ordinary for this title. Since this figure only shows the concurrent players, the number of daily players is likely much higher.

Source

R6Rider

Gold Member
My physical copy arrived a couple weeks ago. I had almost forgotten about it.

Now I have to actually find time to play it.

Last edited:

Varteras

BG3 is a fucking amazing game. The huge variety in moments that happen depending on both gameplay and dialogue choices is really something else. What's so unexpected is the number of people who clearly love a hard-core RPG in an industry that just seems to be all about the quick dopamine hits with shooters like Valorant and Fortnite.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
And I was told single-player games were dead.

Excited to play this once it gets a decent discount. Really, really enjoyed BG2 but afaik this one is nothing like it, with the turn based combat and the more modern writting.

The_hunter

Excited to play this once it gets a decent discount. Really, really enjoyed BG2 but afaik this one is nothing like it, with the turn based combat and the more modern writting.
It's really good. All the dialogue is interesting, great gameplay too.

In September they are adding more evil cutscenes, might be worth waiting until then.

amigastar

Is BG3 markedly better than Original Sin 2? I've just started on the latter and its got it claws in me real good already.
No not markedly but BG3 has better graphics, more choices and DnD5 (if you like it)
Nonetheless Original Sin 2 is fantastic, too.

Guilty_AI

Is BG3 markedly better than Original Sin 2? I've just started on the latter and its got it claws in me real good already.
in general yeah, but there are people who dislike BG3 dice rolls and prefer DOS2's more deterministic rules.

Last edited:

I think BG2 is still the king.

BG 3 is quiet uneven. Especially in act 3, some of the design choices will make you scratch your head.

Act 1 - Decent, somewhat generic.
Act 2 - Incredible, some of best CRPG out there.
Act 3 - Scratch your head type of design choices. Especially regarding resolution of quests.

Overall I think its a great game. Choice and consequences aspect is up there with industry leaders (huge improvement over DOS 2), story/plot is very interesting, moment to moment writing is kinda ok.

Doom85

BG 3 is quiet uneven. Especially in act 3, some of the design choices will make you scratch your head.

Act 3 - Scratch your head type of design choices. Especially regarding resolution of quests.

Overall I think its a great game. Choice and consequences aspect is up there with industry leaders (huge improvement over DOS 2), story/plot is very interesting, moment to moment writing is kinda ok.

Funny, I think Act 2 is the “weakest”. Still great and has a strong conclusion, but Act 1 and 3 offer so much freedom and things to explore, while in Act 2 exploration and side quests are far less abundant.

Pimpbaa

Great game, but everyone wants to have sex with my character (who looks like an old man with both his eyes replaced and black veins).

The_hunter

Personally, I really liked act 3. I did play it a bit after launch, idk if that's why.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Still on my list to work through.

I’ve tried twice and give up 50 hours in. Same for Witcher 3.

Funny, I think Act 2 is the “weakest”. Still great and has a strong conclusion, but Act 1 and 3 offer so much freedom and things to explore, while in Act 2 exploration and side quests are far less abundant.

Act 2 setting is far more interesting. Also you meet much more interesting characters.

Act 1 druid grove setting has been done so many times in rpgs and is done better. Also resolution of central conflict wasn’t satisfactory. There needs to be smarter way to do it rather than massacre.

Personally, I really liked act 3. I did play it a bit after launch, idk if that's why.
Am playing it right now.

Last 2 quests I did, I needed to enter a restricted area with no way to do it other than starting a massive fight or gulp 5-6 invisibility potions. Very poorly thought out I felt.

Still will reserve my judgement after completing it.

coffinbirth

This whole generation can be abbreviated in 4 games,
Elden Ring
Baldur's Gate
Helldivers
Pal World
This is boring, we should talk about other games as much.
Swap out Helldivers 2 for Warzone and Pal World for Vampire Survivors, and I'd agree with you.

Top Bottom