• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 won so many awards that it started to "affect development", forcing Larian to send "rotating teams" of devs to ceremonies

Draugoth

Gold Member
Q5GF8d5YsduyGUoeapZLCf-970-80.jpg.webp

Baldur's Gate 3 was such a massive critical success that sending developers to collect all of its awards was starting to "affect development."

Speaking to Edge, Larian CEO and Baldur's Gate 3 director Swen Vincke said that the game's overwhelming awards success was greatly appreciated, but began to cause a problem. "It affects development - there's a lot of them. This has been a real problem." Sending a team of developers out to one awards show is one thing, but when it became clear that Baldur's gate 3 was going to keep winning, Larian started sending "rotating teams" to collect those awards - "different people went to different award shows."

Vincke says that the game's level of success was at risk of being "too much," and that while "it's great that you have a moment of celebration [...] we still have award shows that we're going to. Because they're important, and we really appreciate it."

Nevertheless, the director says it

"would be cool if everybody could agree to do it all at the same time,"

because:

"it is surprisingly draining on the soul." That drain is certainly something Vincke didn't expect to experience, but he says the continuing attention being paid to the game means that "we've all been more emotional because we can't get closure. And you want to have closure at the end of a project."

via pCGamesN

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
BG3 had generated so many threads on GAF, that rotating crews of shitposters are being sent to comment, as it starts to affect other discussions.
BG3 is such a success that I’ve started 35-50 hours of the game twice, and dropped it both times.

Too long for my retard brain. 🧠

nowhat

I have multiple playthroughs going on right now, it's easily the game of the generation and is probably my favorite game ever made.

The flexibility of this game is unreal.
If you haven't yet tried "The Dark Urge" origin story playthrough... do it! It's not just "the evil playthrough", you can roleplay it however you like. But if you really want to be an evil character, there are so many conversation options that are not otherwise available. Some bonus endings too.

They deserve every single one of those awards.

I have multiple playthroughs going on right now, it's easily the game of the generation and is probably my favorite game ever made.

Can you give some examples?

I have just finished act 2. I can go back and load some older save to do stuff differently if it’s worthwhile.

XXL

If you haven't yet tried "The Dark Urge" origin story playthrough... do it! It's not just "the evil playthrough", you can roleplay it however you like. But if you really want to be an evil character, there are so many conversation options that are not otherwise available. Some bonus endings too.
I'm going to start the Dark Urge one next.

I've already beaten the game multiple times, I just have playthroughs going on now testing the systems.

XXL

Can you give some examples?

I have just finished act 2. I can go back and load some older save to do stuff differently if it’s worthwhile.
Don't do that. Just finish the game and/or start a new characters and just make different choices. Reloading things constantly kind of ruins the magic of it.

Things you do in Act 1 effect Act 2, things you do in Act 1 and Act 2 effect Act 3. Etc.

Last edited:
Don't do that. Just finish the game and/or start a new characters and just make different choices. Reloading things constantly kind of ruins the magic of it.
I kinda have to do it cause I missed an important quest. (Shadow curse related).

I have to do a quest like that. Not sure if I will replay it. Pretty lengthy.

XXL

I kinda have to do it cause I missed an important quest. (Shadow curse related).

I have to do a quest like that. Not sure if I will replay it. Pretty lengthy.
It doesn't really matter if you miss quests in general. You just want to be leveled enough to proceed.

As for you wanting an example, I just literally blew up the Creche (for the first time). That is going to change things going forward for me. Lol.

Topher

Gold Member
They deserve every single one of those awards.

point pointing GIF by Shalita Grant

• Fire
Reactions: XXL

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I famously hate RPGs, and yet not only did I complete BG3, it was probably my game of the year. That game is really something special.

They deserve all the awards they’ve gotten. But also don’t whine that you’re getting too many, just enjoy your enormous victory lap.

Edmund

This generation ain't over yet but BG3 already is my game of the generation.

I remember being so worried when Larian announced they were doing Baldurs Gate 3. Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were sacred to me and I didn't enjoy Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 at all. And didn't like that they were going to make the game turn based. I love turn based games, just that I really didn't like divinity original sin. Guess my worries were unfounded.

Can't wait for their next game announcement!

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter if you miss quests in general. You just want to be leveled enough to proceed.

As for you wanting an example, I just literally blew up the Creche (for the first time). That is going to change things going forward for me. Lol.
Ok. I also blew it up. Other option didn’t seem appealing at that point.

I would’ve completely ignore that part of the game and moved on otherwise.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
When I purchased this game, I got the more expensive one that came with some kind of DLC. Was that DLC available at launch, or has it not come out yet?

Sentenza

turn based menu combat
Yeah, it's an EXCELLENT turn-based tactical combat. Probably one of the best around, in general.

Decidedly NOT a "menu-based" one. That would be a description fit for games like classic Dragon Quest, Persona or Final Fantasy (where, you know, you literally use a menu to decide most of what's going to happen).
BG3 on the other hand is a game where positioning and environmental interactions make all the difference.

Last edited:

XXL

Yeah, it's an EXCELLENT turn-based tactical combat. Probably one of the best around, in general.

Decidedly NOT a "menu-based" one. That would be a description fit for games like classic Dragon Quest, Persona or Final Fantasy (where, you know, you literally use a menu to decide most of what's going to happen).
BG3 on the other hand is a game where positioning and environmental interactions make all the difference.
And Spells. Some of the best gear and best spells don't initially appear to be as powerful as they actual are.

For example the Phalar Aluve (sword) I ignored for a long time, not anymore. The Shriek and Sing (with the sword) ability is absolutely insane. The spell Sanctuary is insanely powerful as well. Also, the feats mixed with a specific build are extremely effective. Warlocks for example as super powerful when built correctly.

It's such a good fucking game.

XXL

Well shit. I was dooped!
No you just didn't read what you were buying. Lol.

Regardless, Larian deserves the extra money.

I've bought it twice (on PC and PS5), I'll probably buy it a 3rd time if they release it on the Switch 2.

No regrets.

Dark Urge is incredible for multiple reasons. There’s a whole story if you give in to the dark urge… and then an entire OTHER story if you resist the dark urge.

Amazing.

Top Bottom