• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m still at the point where I just need to walk to the next area to start the second act. I’ve been there for a few months now. I just can’t seem to boot this game up again.

I don’t even remember anyone’s name.

Last edited:
Stalled on the first playthrough because of Cyberpunk 2.0 and I was save scumming like crazy.
But really getting into it now with my soon to be oath breaker Paladin. Having the custom difficulty is instrumental for me coming to grasp with the combat. Oh and limiting the aurosaves and quicksaves to just slots each with only one main save. Whatever happens, happens now.
Cant believe how much I missed in act 1 on that first playthrough.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m still at the point where I just need to walk to the next area to start the second act. I’ve been there for a few months now. I just can’t seem to boot this game up again.

I don’t even remember anyone’s name.
I have twice gotten about the same amount then drop the game in act one. I’m pretty sure it’s the about to hit act 2 phase.

50 hours and I lose interest.

niilokin

Really don't like what they did with Sarevok's character... he deserved better
than being put back as his first game self ^ 2
. He was fucking epic in ToB after having given up his Bhaal essence, like a deep thinking dark warrior regardless if he was redeemed or not... he was past being
a murder god fanatic

Last edited:
Some 40 hrs in. Playing it in coop.

Am enjoying it. But do have some complaints. Mostly because BG2 is one of my favourites and recently finished DOS2 as well. So comparing them to this one is apt.

Biggest one is, its still not feeling as epic as either of them. Despite being very high budget title. Slow start i guess.

ebevan91

Made a new character, a sorcerer, and

Raided the grove. Feels bad man. Karlach gone, Wyll gone, Gale gone. Never even met Halsin. Got a nice scene with Minthara though :)

sigmaZ

I think it's a very common place to stop. End of Act 2 is kind of epic and then start of Act 3 it goes slow again.
Act 2 feels a bit like an endgame in some regards making beginning of Act 3 a bit slow and "no so interesting". I always get a lack of interest around there but it comes back when progressing into it.
That's the power of pacing and why so many games and movies fail the third act. The third act is meant to be where a story winds downs and ends. It naturally happens after a climax.
FF16 had a similar problem.
To make a third at work like that its better if you run off the energy of the climax and get to the ending before the momentum dies. Best you can do in BG3 is hype yourself through it.

Last edited:

anthony2690

I've been seriously considering the physical version of this for months now, but I really worry I won't like it due to not liking divinity original sin 1 :(

80hrs in. Reached shadowlands.

This area is really cool.

Act 1 was surprisingly generic for such a high profile rpg. Never found the setting or conflict there interesting.

But now, its way more interesting. Especially once you meet the returning character. *wink wink*

I've been seriously considering the physical version of this for months now, but I really worry I won't like it due to not liking divinity original sin 1 :(
Try the digital version and refund it before the time limit.

Finally beat this massive beast of a game, gorious all the way through but I'm glad I waited cause the ending still felt a little rushed even with the added epilogue.

Now it's time for a dark urge playthrough, WITH MODS!

anthony2690

Try the digital version and refund it before the time limit.

Finally beat this massive beast of a game, gorious all the way through but I'm glad I waited cause the ending still felt a little rushed even with the added epilogue.

Now it's time for a dark urge playthrough, WITH MODS!
I really want the physical version, I've looked into the game more since my post and think I'd really enjoy it a lot tbh, hopefully the physical version isn't a timed thing, and I'll nab it in the future 😁

But currently can't justify dropping the £80+ odd it would cost 🥲

All my spare funds are going on clothes and shoes (I literally destroy a pair each month from all the walking I do, currently at 550km+ for this month) & I literally joined the gym this month too, as I want to try build muscle after losing near 10 stone, maybe next month I'll finally order it😁

But I can't wait to get round too it, a work mate has hyped it up to the stratosphere in the last few months 💪

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Picked this up in the Summer 2024 Steam sale for both my gaming pc and Steam Deck and enjoying it immensely. There are not many games I've played that I wished I'd bought it day one at full price because it's worth it but this is one of them.

I've played a little D&D in the past and the devs have done a fantastic job incorporating the D&D 5e rule set into the game. It really does feel like I'm playing a table top D&D session. A VR version of this game would be amazing.

I'm also surprised how well this game runs on my Steam Deck. The text can be a little small from time to time but it looks stunning my OLED Steam Deck.

This is dessert island gaming stuff.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Picked this up in the Summer 2024 Steam sale for both my gaming pc and Steam Deck and enjoying it immensely. There are not many games I've played that I wished I'd bought it day one at full price because it's worth it but this is one of them.

I've played a little D&D in the past and the devs have done a fantastic job incorporating the D&D 5e rule set into the game. It really does feel like I'm playing a table top D&D session. A VR version of this game would be amazing.

I'm also surprised how well this game runs on my Steam Deck. The text can be a little small from time to time but it looks stunning my OLED Steam Deck.

This is dessert island gaming stuff.
Wait till act 3 before evaluating anything about ‘running well’.…It’s just that the game always seemed smooth through act 1, and somewhat through act 2, but act 3 was notorious for hitting performance issues…*Really* hard. Act 3 is the ulitimate benchmark.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

About the second sex scene with karlach, did…did she just peg me?! I had both my eyes replaced, am part illithid so I look like shit and now this happens. I’m pretty sure I had a bleeding status for 2 days. I sure as hell wouldn’t wanna be my character

Last edited:

Filben

but act 3 was notorious for hitting performance issues…*Really* hard. Act 3 is the ulitimate benchmark.
I can imagine the Steam Deck wanting to set off with its fan, given how CPU-heavy that act is.

Still need to finish it... I'm halfway through act three, I would guess. Which means it could still take another 10 hours or so...

XXL

Just beat the game. What a ride. Tops my list for game of the generation so far.
Lebron James Hug GIF by NBA

Play it again. It just gets better with multiple playthroughs.

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Like a year ago. What are you doing with your life?
I know its rhetorical, but since you asked….Aside from raising three kids under 6, ive been unemployed for a year. So, I find it’d be very irresponsible to spend any of my valueable time on a videogame until I can get a stable job under my feet again.

Skifi28

I know its rhetorical, but since you asked….Aside from raising three kids under 6, ive been unemployed for a year. So, I find it’d be very irresponsible to spend any of my valueable time on a videogame until I can get a stable job under my feet again.
When you do get back on your feet, you're never going to have as much free time as you do now. Honestly, I'd play all the games I can now!

XXL

I did the hardest playthrough on my first run. Decided to go through the dark path or whatever it's called and play it on normal and it was so much more fun. The battles not being so long and hard just made the game even better.
A lot of the challenge in the game has alot to do with your build, weapons for your builds (and the parties builds) and choices. The characters I'm building now are destructive.

StereoVsn

That sucks. Best of luck to you to find a good gig so you can enjoy playing a game with a good state of mind! Stay strong, dude, unemployment sucks, especially when you got kids.

I really need to finish this game.
no you don't...

i was unable to finish either divinity game, & never got to the end of chapter 2 of bg3. i'd been greatly enjoying all 3 for dozens of hours up to a point, but, by bailing when i did, & not pushing myself into doing what'd begun to feel more like work than anything else, i'm now left with pleasant memories of all 3...

plus, i can always just go back & try a replay if the mood strikes. so, nothing really lost. I had fun...

Arsic

no you don't...

i was unable to finish either divinity game, & never got to the end of chapter 2 of bg3. i'd been greatly enjoying all 3 for dozens of hours up to a point, but, by bailing when i did, & not pushing myself into doing what'd begun to feel more like work than anything else, i'm now left with pleasant memories of all 3...

plus, i can always just go back & try a replay if the mood strikes. so, nothing really lost. I had fun...
Same same.

I want to dive back in but after 40-50 hours of what I played I’m not interested in my class anymore.

The idea of going all 40 hours again for a slow paced game like this isn’t possible for me.

At some point I should just watch a story explanation video or something.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
no you don't...

Same same.

I want to dive back in but after 40-50 hours of what I played I’m not interested in my class anymore.

The idea of going all 40 hours again for a slow paced game like this isn’t possible for me.

At some point I should just watch a story explanation video or something.

Hmmmm. I think I might boot it back up after a long time, and if it’s not clicking fast, I’ll just drop it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

You can completely reroll your class, or any companion's class mid-game. Go to Withers.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
One year anniversary stats :

This game is so incredible. That makes me want to redo a run soon.

My girlfriend's been playing D&D with some people at work recently and really enjoying it, so I'm gonna run through it for the 4th time with her this winter, where I play the combat (she doesn't really do video games) and she makes every decision otherwise. Will be fascinating to see how someone unfamiliar with games in general approaches BG3 purely as a choose your own adventure, rather than being subconsciously concerned about completionism, party balance, getting the right ending etc.

DelireMan7

My girlfriend's been playing D&D with some people at work recently and really enjoying it, so I'm gonna run through it for the 4th time with her this winter, where I play the combat (she doesn't really do video games) and she makes every decision otherwise. Will be fascinating to see how someone unfamiliar with games in general approaches BG3 purely as a choose your own adventure, rather than being subconsciously concerned about completionism, party balance, getting the right ending etc.
Sounds like a good time with your girlfriend. Which I could do that. I was thinking to ask my new girlfriend but she's not at all a gamer and not really into fantasy stuff so...

Arsic

You can completely reroll your class, or any companion's class mid-game. Go to Withers.
Can you change race?

I’m an orc barb, which is cool AF combo, but I’m finna be a human paladin oath breaker.

AV

Can you change race?

I’m an orc barb, which is cool AF combo, but I’m finna be a human paladin oath breaker.

Not by default, but if you're on PC this mod unlocks it (and more).

The Dark Urge playtrough might be my favorite of the ones I've done

I hope it keeps up this way

I did both an embrace dark urge and a resist dark urge playthrough, and it's amazing when it culminates in act three. Without spoilers, it almost feels like the canon story given what happens either way. Embrace ending is kinda weak, but the resist path feels really heroic and includes a big scene you'll see nowhere else with a key character.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Not by default, but if you're on PC this mod unlocks it (and more).

I did both an embrace dark urge and a resist dark urge playthrough, and it's amazing when it culminates in act three. Without spoilers, it almost feels like the canon story given what happens either way. Embrace ending is kinda weak, but the resist path feels really heroic and includes a big scene you'll see nowhere else with a key character.
Just finished it after a 24hr session lol

I'm going to check out the resist part tomorrow

But yeah, the embracing choice was weak but I guess they'll add more stuff with the new update?

zbnvhUS.png

Cyberpunkd

Bought this, played 3 hours, barely got out of first stinking crypt. 10/10 would trigger traps again.

Felt really proud of myself after decyphering some ancient book said crypt, look at my learned ass go!

Cyberpunkd

7 hours in, this game is an RP heaven. The very fact you can attribute roll your way away from a huge fight is insanely good, reminds me of W2 ending where you could just

Talk to Letho and let him go without fighting him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom