• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Band-GAF: Pimp your/your friend's bands!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
ATTENTION BAND WHORES AND MUSICAL MISFITS

Are you or your friends in a band or regularly performing music in some form or other? Are there bands/musicians in your local area that deserve way more recognition than they’re getting?

Well, feel free to share your recordings, DJ sets, upcoming gigs, album artwork, tours, compositions for other media, websites, videos, toenails… just post ANYTHING related to your music, your friend’s music or local bands and musicians you like in this here thread. I want to hear and see what’s going on at the grass-roots level around the world.

I’ll get the ball rolling. Most of these are heavy/rock/punk sort of bands, but don’t feel limited in your own posts:

whitedevilwhitedevil:
A monstrous, tight-as-all-fuck, two guitar and drums assault on the senses from Chatham (UK). Effortlessly amazing and deserving of great things.

Hand of Stabs:
“Alkatronic Deep Topographical Sound Art” is how they describe themselves... frankly, I don’t know what any of that means. What they do is ambient, intense, improvised noise usually in unusual locations (Cafes, the woods, old pumping stations, libraries etc.). Drugs may be a requirement for some. Oh! They’re from Chatham (UK) too.

Escucha:
Screechy, energetic, balls-to-the-wall, Post-Hardcore from Folkestone (UK). I saw these guys a few months ago and they nearly brought the building down. They deserve way more attention than they are getting.

Mass Lines:
Imagine The Stooges fronted by a British Steve Albini… but on the good side of thirty. Lively, angular punk-rock from Canterbury (UK).

Bear vs Manero:
Heavy, Discordian-influenced rock from Chatham (UK) with a ridiculously charismatic/terrifying frontman and utterly bonkers bass player. You’ll be hard pressed to take your eyes off these guys if you ever see them live.

Punching Swans:
Dirty, angular, inventive, three-piece indie-punk from (yet again) Chatham (UK). Makes my booty move in ways I never thought it could.

Frau Pouch:
Another band from the understated, half-mad, genius mind of Mr. Joe Wise (he plays bass in Punching Swans). These guys (and one gal) from (I don't travel much) Chatham (UK) offer up a helping of shambolic, art-punk, disco-inflected rock.

[FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m not in any of these bands, you cynical gits.]

What about you, Band-GAF? Show me what you’ve got!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
A Summer Better Than Yours - Driving, catchy DIY pop-punk-meets-hardcore from Lincoln, NE

No Tide - Really catchy, smart, well-made indie/pop punk from Lincoln, NE. New EP came out earlier this year.

Lighthouses - Post-rock meets hardcore punk from Kearney, NE. If you dig Touche Amore and La Dispute, you'd probably really dig them.

Mystery Pills - A funky electronic indie one-man project from Rapid City, SD.

Souls - Really sinister blackened hardcore from the Black Hills

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
My band is called Parachute for Gordo, we are a three piece artybastard rock band, something "post" almost certainly. We make a racket, have a laugh and play lots of gigs. Have two albums up at the bandcamp which seemingly are well received, although getting people to come to gigs and buy records is proving to be a challenge.

Anyone in the south of the UK is fully encouraged to come see us on tour in september -

d872acacf57bb877ca0e6b35ea971ef4

Brixton especially will be a bit of a banger.

If you're in the unlikely position of i) liking the band ii) being in a band yourself and iii) near Surrey should totally hit me up, see if we can play some shows together.

edit: 232 who we're touring with are also pretty good, their new record is going to be great.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Less egotistical now, here is what I would consider to be the best bands in my scene:

TwoThirtyTwo - headliners from the upcoming tour and probably our best band buddies in the area, or at least the people we've played most gigs with. A crazed mix of Joy Division, Killers and a genuinely unique mind in the form of their frontman (who I happened to go to school with). If their plans go well, they'll be massive this time next year.

Fauntleroy - playing something I can only dub as post-lounge, this is my scene's most underappreciated band. Genuinely inventive and silly while also being very tight. Mad little two piece.

Our Lost Infantry - in a scene filled with sweaty sweary cunts, these guys are like a proper band and everything. They have a singer who can actually sing for one thing. They make big, operatic, emo-tinged, post-rock influenced belters. And their new bass player knows more about bands you've never heard of than anyone you ever met.

I Plead Irony - I think these guys would be the first to admit their Reuben influence but since when has writing catchy bangers with riffs as chunky as a special edition kit kat been a crime? I'm wearing their t-shirt right now.

Midfield Workhorse - played with these chaps last week and was blown away, an amazing mix of poppy indie that gets genuinely headspinningly heavy at times too. Proper singing, well crafted songs, extended instrumental sections. Right up my alley.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
PS Meat your links are all fucked. But once I decoded it I found goodness. Especially digging esucha and Mass Lines.

ok Punching Swans is really awesome.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
PS Meat your links are all fucked. But once I decoded it I found goodness. Especially digging esucha and Mass Lines.

ok Punching Swans is really awesome.

Nice one, Jed! Fixed them.

EDIT: or thought I had...

EDITEDIT: Should be working now. Phone, innit?

Thanks for posting, guys. I'll be back in to have a ganders at all these delicious links tonight. I'm surprised at the low yield though, I thought loads of GAF were in bands or had buddies in bands.

Duplolas

Banned
Copying and pastaing from another thread I posted in.

Heres a extremely unknown band I found awhile back.

They are called The John Mancini Band.

I love this band. I discovered it some how on Pandora, of all things. Their #1 song has just over 3k views on Spotify. On youtube they have under 2k views on the same song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkneGADAuLY

All of their other songs have less than 1k views on either youtube or spotify. Each song is so different, its so great.

Take a look at this beat they have on their song "Little Things"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Cgm2tjp0I

Sound familiar to all you classic rock fans out there?

The full song is only available through spotify. Click the link to their profile here: http://open.spotify.com/album/0UIR23Jpa3XvlhuTztwanB

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nice one, Jed! Fixed them.

EDIT: or thought I had...

EDITEDIT: Should be working now. Phone, innit?

Thanks for posting, guys. I'll be back in to have a ganders at all these delicious links tonight. I'm surprised at the low yield though, I thought loads of GAF were in bands or had buddies in bands.

GAF is surprisingly disinterested in its own members' creativity. Odd really, I love it.

My band is called Parachute for Gordo, we are a three piece artybastard rock band, something "post" almost certainly. We make a racket, have a laugh and play lots of gigs. Have two albums up at the bandcamp which seemingly are well received, although getting people to come to gigs and buy records is proving to be a challenge.

Anyone in the south of the UK is fully encouraged to come see us on tour in september -

d872acacf57bb877ca0e6b35ea971ef4

Brixton especially will be a bit of a banger.

If you're in the unlikely position of i) liking the band ii) being in a band yourself and iii) near Surrey should totally hit me up, see if we can play some shows together.

edit: 232 who we're touring with are also pretty good, their new record is going to be great.

Playing the Chunderbolt? Might come down. If you are supporting do you know what time you’ll be on? I’m working til 7.30 that night and wouldn’t get there til 9ish so if you are on first I might miss you.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Playing the Chunderbolt? Might come down. If you are supporting do you know what time you’ll be on? I’m working til 7.30 that night and wouldn’t get there til 9ish so if you are on first I might miss you.

not quite sure tbh, think there's a lot of 4 band bills and it looks like we're on first or second most nights, so about 8.30 most likely :( I think it's a bit weird putting on a female solo act after us but what are ya gonna do. Maybe come down anyway, it'll be fun. Last night of the tour!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My friend is the drummer of a 2-piece Math Rock band Cheek's

http://cheeksband.bandcamp.com/track/does-nobody-care-about-a-jetpack

That's pretty sweet. They remind me Billy Mahonie or Don Cab.

A Summer Better Than Yours - Driving, catchy DIY pop-punk-meets-hardcore from Lincoln, NE

Sold! I like the change a lot.

Fauntleroy - playing something I can only dub as post-lounge, this is my scene's most underappreciated band. Genuinely inventive and silly while also being very tight. Mad little two piece.

That's my new ear worm sorted! I love that song, man!

Great thread! Would be cool to meet up with some GAF:ers when out playing or catch any of the GAF-bands here in Sweden.

I play bass in a hardcore band called Bitter Taste of Life, and we sometimes do shows in various cities in europe.

Heres a song of our latest release;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfU-i-kjacE

Holy moly. If you got any gigs up, post them here!

Okay... let's get weird. Really weird:

Honey Ride Me A Goat.

"Seriously WTF" is probably the only way to describe them. Phenomenal.

My friends have only recorded 2 songs so far, and although I'm probably biased because they're my friends, I like to think I would like them regardless and I think their songs are great. It's kinda folky/pop-type music and catchy. It's normally just the 2 of them live with 2 guitars, but they're thinking of getting a whole band together. And yes, they are brothers.

Moon Brother

My friends Delila and Edgy started a blues band a few years ago..they are getting a lot of attention since Brad Wilk joined the band. The days of playing to me and 4 other people at Arlene's Grocery are over.

Amazon has a free stream of their album:
The Last Internationale - We Will Reign

They will also be on David Letterman on August 27th.

A friend turned me on this thread a few weeks back. Great idea for a thread! During this time, my band was in the process of finalizing the CD details and getting the digital distribution all set up, so I have stayed away to prevent a hasty post. We now have CDs in hand and music ready for streaming and download across just about every dang digital outlet out there. Without further ado- People, this is…

The Almighty Get Down

We are an original funk/soul/r&b band based in Cincinnati, Ohio. Hard to fully pinpoint and label, but the music is widely varied, and bursting with energy. This music is our passion, we pour our entire souls into every aspect of this group. Instrumentation of the band is singer/guitar player, keyboardist/harmonica, bass, drums, saxophone, trumpet, and trombone (which is what I play :D). The band won a Cincinnati Entertainment Award a few years back for Best Funk Band in the City (before I joined). This year, we were nominated for the award again, but were just barely beat out. Each show leaves everyone exhausted and covered in sweat, but always hungry for more. From us to the crowd, we feed off each other in a symbiotic way. Easily some of the most fun I’ve ever had with my clothes on.

We are going to be at the upcoming Mid Point Music Festival in downtown Cincinnati. We are playing Thursday night (9/25), around 11:55pm at Mainstay Rock Bar, if anyone from CincyGaf is reading this ;D. That whole venue for the night will be filled with great soul & funk all evening long; it will be a great evening!!

If you want to listen to some samples, and potentially support us click here :D

Come give us a listen, give us a like! I’d be happy to hear all feedback :D Thank you all for your time, and your clicks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom