• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

I didn't realise Greg posted here. I've been a huge fan since the old school Gamespot days. Would he appreciate stalkerish PMs that involve printed out pictures of his face and nudity?

In less weird news, I can't wait for this. Been sold ever since it showed up on the Giant Bomb coverage.

Ken

Need to remember to grab points for this.

One thing I dislike right now however is how the protagonist looks in game compared to artwork. He looks fine in artwork but in game, something looks off with his proportions; his upper body and arms look too big relative to his legs and head, especially in the third in-game shot in the original post. Kind of distracting to me ever since I started seeing footage and screenshots, but oh well.

Kafel said:
Facepalm.jpg

I can't wait to try this. I hope the experience is still great with subtitles.

What other game of the SoA should I be excited about? None of the others have caught my attention at all. There's an IOS game in the summer of arcade for fucks sake.

Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
What other game of the SoA should I be excited about? None of the others have caught my attention at all. There's an IOS game in the summer of arcade for fucks sake.

From Dust looks cool. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is day 1. I'll probably get the Fruit Ninja Kinect game because my kids will want to play it, and at that point I might as well also pick up the Tiny Soldiers sequel because I'll get Crimson Alliance for free.

AngmarsKing701 said:
From Dust looks cool. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is day 1. I'll probably get the Fruit Ninja Kinect game because my kids will want to play it, and at that point I might as well also pick up the Tiny Soldiers sequel because I'll get Crimson Alliance for free.

I'm curious to see From Dust and Shadow Planet. Neither wows me though (granted Trenched didn't really either, and it turned out awesome). Toy Soldiers doesn't look good at all, to me.

JJD

Man...after Limbo was confirmed for PSN, I just hope Bastion eventually shows up...I don't mind waiting a couple months...my backlog is huge as it is. That said, I would buy it day 1...

C'mon kasavin...can I hope for a release? If not, at least release it for Mac on Steam...

Darkkn

Bummed that it's not available on systems i own(pc, ps3) :( Looks soo good.. Hopefully it'll be released on at least Steam in the future.

Edit: Oh, it's coming to pc later, that is nice. Hopefully all the 2d artwork is high enough resolution so that it looks gorgeous in 1080p.

codhand

He went online day one and added Microsoft points, he proceeded to play the game and nod his head approvingly during the opening segments, he knew that his purchase was justified totally. He grabbed for his phone and called out from work.

codhand said:
He went online day one and added Microsoft points, he proceeded to play the game and nod his head approvingly during the opening segments, he knew that his purchase was justified totally. He grabbed for his phone and called out from work.

He went on GAF and found himself reading a clever post riffing on the smoky-voiced narrator from Bastion. He thought 'why didn't I think of that first?' and narrowed his eyes in personal disappointment. He wrote '+1', as was the tradition in this strange digital land.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, my timing is way messed up. I thought this wasn't this Wednesday, but next. So just coming off of Ms. Splosion Man is Bastion, then From Dust next week...holy shiiit.

ShaneB

Want to get this Day 1 just to support, but just can't do it. Maybe wait till it shows up on Steam.

It looks absolutely amazing. Love the style and art.

Vire

ShaneB said:
Want to get this Day 1 just to support, but just can't do it. Maybe wait till it shows up on Steam.

It looks absolutely amazing. Love the style and art.
Support small devs! Skip that frappuccino in the morning and buy this game.

alphaNoid

Banned
The best part is when the game starts and
you get out of bed and the narrator says, "He gets out of bed..."
. It has a great effect and sets the mood in 3 seconds. Charm to the max out of the gate.

ShaneB

Vire said:
Support small devs! Skip that frappuccino in the morning and buy this game.

:( After the massive steam sale, I don't need more games I won't be playing! Third Strike is my next purchase, need self control!

I'll buy this evenually dang it!

Vire

alphaNoid said:
The best part is when the game starts and
you get out of bed and the narrator says, "He gets out of bed..."
. It has a great effect and sets the mood in 3 seconds. Charm to the max out of the gate.
Video? Or are you reviewing it?

ShaneB said:
:( After the massive steam sale, I don't need more games I won't be playing! Third Strike is my next purchase, need self control!

I'll buy this evenually dang it!
I'm just teasing. :)

Gowans007 said:
Been following this on GB, the behind the scenes stuff has been fantastic.

Always shown just enough, I really can't wait to get the controller in my hands and see how it feels.

Buying as soon as live will let me.
Hopefully for your sake there is no board game out there called Bastioned. ;)

I have plans Wed. night. Nooooo!

PasteyMF

Kudos to Kasavin and team for getting their first game out! I'm hoping the game sells well, and it'll be my first XBLA purchase since Super Meat Boy! Art style looks amazing. :)

zlatko

Banned
Has it been talked about how long this game will be? I rarely buy any XBLA titles and the only exception has been Braid, but even that I bought on PC when it was super cheap.

This is the one XBLA title over the years that is EXACTLY my tastes, but I don't have any points at the moment, and if I were to spend some money (I'm broke), I want to make sure the game has 15+hours of gameplay without any replaying it or something to bloat the actual game time from start to finish.

While Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is the Summer of Arcade I'm most looking forward to, this is the only other Summer of Arcade game I'm even considering purchasing. It looks amazing and pretty fun to boot, so I'll probably end up picking it up with some spare MS points.

zlatko said:
Has it been talked about how long this game will be? I rarely buy any XBLA titles and the only exception has been Braid, but even that I bought on PC when it was super cheap.

This is the one XBLA title over the years that is EXACTLY my tastes, but I don't have any points at the moment, and if I were to spend some money (I'm broke), I want to make sure the game has 15+hours of gameplay without any replaying it or something to bloat the actual game time from start to finish.

I think you'd be hard-pressed finding any XBLA game that's 15+ hours long, so yeah, I'd bet on something shorter.

Papercuts said:
Wow, my timing is way messed up. I thought this wasn't this Wednesday, but next. So just coming off of Ms. Splosion Man is Bastion, then From Dust next week...holy shiiit.
Yep. It's a triple threat. Oh my aching Allard-wallet!

OnPoint

zlatko said:

I'd estimate 5 - 7 hours first time through depending on the player and how in-depth they go with the optional stuff, though you could probably push through in 4 if you're moving excessively fast.

Then there's the new game +

I'm down to support Kasavin in whatever he's doing. Been waiting on this for a long time. Got my points for it last week thru my job's reward points program. Day 1.

zlatko

Banned
OnPoint said:
I'd estimate 5 - 7 hours first time through depending on the player and how in-depth they go with the optional stuff, though you could probably push through in 4 if you're moving excessively fast.

Then there's the new game +

Sounds good. I'll pick it up on Steam later then when money is more fruitful. :)

hayguyz

Banned
FrZOx.jpg

Looks like the kid is takin a dump

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I have to admit, I still think of Bastion and Island of Wakfu as sister-releases. While Bastion seems to do the art style a bit better (making it feel less flashy, more hand-drawn), they both remind me of an evolution of that Legends of Mana / Saga Frontier series style artwork, which I really like.

And Wakfu had multiplayer, while this is strictly a solo adventure. So I think they co-exist well.

At any rate, really looking forward to this one, as it looks like a fantastic first game from a new studio. The gameplay looks solid, and "classically deep", which I really appreciate.

It's great to see indie studios pick up the gameplay styles that the big companies have almost entirely forgotten, and refine them into their own unique things. Things such as the dynamic controllable difficulty, and the serious attention to making each weapon worth using, rather than just invalidating old discoveries as the game progresses... these are really the kind of little thoughts that run in the back of a gamers head. Great to see them addressed!

Easily the most stand-out SOA title for me this year (ITSP still carries on the silouhette tradition... Toy Soldiers CW looks great, but is a sequel to a game I have yet to beat, and From Dust... just not the kind of genre that can generate as much hype VS it's competition, for me). I find myself wanting Retro City Rampage and Guardian Heroes more than most SoA games this year, yet Bastion is the hardest one to make that decleration over!

Darkgran said:
I'm not even going to bother with a demo. Day 1 purchase.
Even though I'm already sold on this game, I saw something neat in the last episode of Giantbomb's "Building the Bastion" that pertained to the demo. At the end of the trial version, it prompts you to purchase the full version, and the narrator welcomes you back to the game after you've done so. That sort of awesomeness is something I'm gonna take advantage of.

Top Bottom