• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baten Kaitos US release date

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Deepthroat said:
The card battle turned me off a bit. Still interested though.

I read somewhere that the card battling system is sorta faked. In other words, its really more like your typical RPG. I don't know how true that is though.

The card battling system is not what you think. Baten Kaitos is closer to a traditional RPG than anything; the cards just make the battles more frantic, exciting, and a little random.

Here's what I wrote for NOM UK on the subject:

"What we want you to understand", said the speaker on stage, "is that although it looks like a card RPG, it's really not." Strong words. And after our playtime with Baten Kaitos, we can confirm that they're not lying. It's fun and not nearly as maths-oriented as you might imagine

Basically, Baten Kaitos' battle system does use cards - called Magnus - to attack and defend. But even if you do not pay attention to the numbers on the Magnus, you can win battles just by picking weapon cards to attack with, heal cards to heal with, and using armour cards when the enemy attacks you. Cards are randomly drawn from a deck that you can arrange yourself on the traditional status screen. Want to get a little more complex? Magic spells and other such cards have colours and if you defend against them with the opposite colour, you'll defend better or even block the damage entirely. Fire beats water, wind beats time, light beats dark and so on. Easy, cheesy, Japaneesy.

Now, about those numbers. Don't worry, you don't even have to know basic maths to do this - you just need to be able to play Poker. You can use two or more cards per turn to attack. Use two threes and you'll get a 10% damage bonus for your pair. Use a three and a four and you've got a straight - 13% bonus. Do this with longer combinations and the bonus shoots up. And yes, it works for healing too - and defence. See those Magnus with more than one number on them? You can select which number you want to use for that hand with the C-Stick. Simple as that.

Restorative items come in card form, and quest items, like apples that you can give to a whiny little girl in town, for instance, aren't just carried around in your pocket... you absorb the item's Magna Essence, which is transferred to a Blank Magnus, then use the C-Stick to access it. There are only a few blanks, of course, so you have to make hard choices.

Everything else in Baten is pretty traditional stuff. The major differences are that although Experience Points are still gained in battles, levelling up is done in a church. You can also raise your character's class by using hidden items; a higher class means more space in your deck, but less time to attack before your turn ends. Oh, and you make money by taking pictures of enemies and selling them at shops, using a special Camera Magnus, of course.

Top Bottom