• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: The Brave and The Bold |OT| Thread of Bat-Mite Adventures

Penguin

ohvjw7.jpg

What is it?
Batman: The Brave and The Bold is the most recent animated version of the Caped Crusader. Instead of following in the footsteps of the awesome, Batman: The Animated Series, the show took a different route looking at a side of Batman which is rarely seen in this day and age.

10937_400x600.jpg

Not only does it show a different side of Batman, it also has him teaming up with all manner of DC characters including Aquaman, Green Arrow, Guy Gardener's Green Lantern and Blue Beetle.

Now you know about the inspiration for the game, what about the game.
Well the game is available on the Nintendo Wii and DS.
Wiicover.jpg

The Awesome Launch Trailer

As you can see, this is a 2D beat-em up with co-op action. Sadly, no online play is included in the package. However, you can take Batman and a myriad of partners through the games 4 episodes.

For some odd reason, they decided to split the roster between the DS and Wii version, but here are your possible partners.

Wii
Robin
Blue Beetle
Guy Gardner
Hawkman
Bat-Mite (Exclusive DS Link to Wii version)

DS
Aquaman
Blue Beetle
Green Arrow
Plastic Man
Red Tornado

Personally, looking at the list, I feel the DS version stays more true to the show as it features many of the recurring sidekicks/partners. I mean no home-console Aquaman?

That's not entirely true though, in addition to having a partner in crime, you are also able to select one assist character per stage, and those are:
Aquaman
Black Canary
Black Lightning
Booster Gold
Captain Marvel
Flash (Jay Garrick)
Green Arrow
Hal Jordan
Plastic Man
Red Tornado

Each character can be summoned when you have a power stored and will do their own screen clearing move.
batman-the-brave-and-the-bold-20100818054225786_640w.jpg

So there's the basics.
Two player co-op, each gets to pick an assist character. 2D beat-em up.

If you have both the Wii and DS version, you are able to get a 3rd player in the game who controls Bat-Mite.
batman-the-brave-and-the-bold-20100818054217786_640w.jpg

The game also features all the major voices from the TV show.

How does it fare?
batmanwii.jpg

-Reviews
GameInformer 8.5
Tight controls and cheeky humor make Brave and the Bold an easy recommendation for bat and brawler fans alike. Accessible and entertaining, it’s also a perfect fit for –familyplay.

1up B+
If you know you're getting into an easy and simple brawler, then The Brave and The Bold is one heck of a ride. It's unapologetically simple and goofy, and it not only presents a good throwback to the 16-bit era, but also to a more lighthearted take on Batman in general. Overall, while it errs a bit too much toward simplicity, The Brave And The Bold is a great family-friendly Batman game, and is honestly my favorite Batman title not called Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Destructoid 8.0
It delivers a solid and enjoyable experience from beginning to end. It isn't going to win anyone over for its finger-blistering difficulty, either, so fans looking for an old-school challenge should check their expectations accordingly. But super sharp visuals and clever writing make this a collection of Batman adventures you won't want to miss.

GameSpot 7.0
A great sense of humor and flashy style make the Caped Crusader's latest adventure entertaining, despite the lack of challenge.

Joystiq 7.0
Genuine laughs and amusing scenarios await within, and if you can keep in mind that you're probably several times older than the target audience, it's a pretty solid option for co-op with your kid sibling -- or a drinking buddy, for that matter.

IGN 6.5
If The Brave and the Bold was a downloadable title I would buy it in an instant. But it's a full $40 game. There's a lot of flair and style with The Brave and the Bold, but it's a pretty mindless affair, even for a kids' game.

Comics Alliance
So if you take nothing else away from this review, it should be this: "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" is absolutely, without a doubt the best game about Hawkman we have ever gotten. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the best game about Hawkman that it's actually possible to make.

When Can I pick it up?

Thanks to the lack of hype around this title, most don't even know its already in stores! And for a discounted price of 39.99 for the Wii!

For now Bat-fans, that's all I have, I'm sure missing a ton, but I'll hopefully add impressions of either the DS or Wii version soon.

So I'll catch you same Bat-time, same Bat-channel.
bm_bb_cv12.jpg

Salsa

The Take Out Bandit said:
Game and extra nunchuck in Wish List on Amazong. Will order on payday. I hope I don't regret this! :|

I think its a no-brainer if you have an offline buddy to play with. Looks like a lot of fun.

DS version could be a tougher sell since its single player, but it also looks great and i havent picked up a DS game in a while, im in.

Can IGN get any shittier with their reviews? I mean the simplistic 8 paragraph review is embarrassing enough but this:

29xc7tg.png

4lnj85.png

is just ridiculous.

FoneBone

No reviews of the DS version? And you don't discuss the gameplay differences -- isn't the DS game more of a platformer?

Penguin

FoneBone said:
No reviews of the DS version? And you don't discuss the gameplay differences -- isn't the DS game more of a platformer?

I've actually not seen any DS reviews to be honest. Well other than IGN's, if you have any, link and I'll post em up.

Salsa

Boney said:
You rich motherfucker. Support your economy.

:lol

Friend coming over from the US and bringing me a bunch of games, some as gifts, these two included.

No sane person can afford what games cost around here. Believe me.

Boney

Banned
SalsaShark said:
:lol

Friend coming over from the US and bringing me a bunch of games, some as gifts, these two included.

No sane person can afford what games cost around here. Believe me.
Support your economy godammit!

Or at least, get me on the deal!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My favorite part of the game is Aquaman's partner attack.

"HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

Love this game. Almost at the end of episode 3 right now.

legend166 said:
First decent licenced WayForward game?

Spongebob the Movie for GBC says hello. Sabrina games too. In fact, Wayforward is consistently awesome despite the lack of Shantae which I can't hold against them as this market is extremely unfriendly to original properties.

Boney

Banned
Spongebob the Movie for GBC says hello. Sabrina games too. In fact, Wayforward is consistently awesome despite the lack of Shantae which I can't hold against them as this market is extremely unfriendly to original properties.
Didn't Shantae just came out at the wrong point in time?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

That's....not actually true. Publishers just don't want to take a chance. You make it sound like the consumer doesn't go in for new IPs.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Really glad to hear people are enjoying this. It always looked like awesome goofy fun. Little disapointed by the whole roster situation though.

thetrin

Jive Turkey said:
Really glad to hear people are enjoying this. It always looked like awesome goofy fun. Little disapointed by the whole roster situation though.

Yeah, I was really hoping Red Tornado would be in the Wii version as playable. :(

Boney said:
Didn't Shantae just came out at the wrong point in time?

Yes. Extremely bad timing, but Wayforward sweetened the pot with GBA tweaks if you played on it. I still blame consumers.

thetrin said:
That's....not actually true. Publishers just don't want to take a chance. You make it sound like the consumer doesn't go in for new IPs.

I don't know man. I'm sure I could poll Stump for some figures to back me up. :\

Penguin

Just got through the first stage of the handheld version, I didn't know they were two radically different games.

As noted in OP, different sidekicks/partners, but it also isn't a co-op game. You switch in/out of Batman and whoever his partner is for that stage. At some point, you can also pull off team combo moves which are pretty cool.

Also, it seems to be different missions altogether. As I've already faced off against The Joker (in tutorial), BabyFace and Catwoman, two of which I know aren't in the Wii version.

It seems to be a mix of platforming/beat-em up and different challenges need different characters, but the game generally points those out anyway.

I had fun, and shall continue fur... oh yeah that's the other thing there doesn't seem to be any progressive stages in this game, you get in the batmobile and pick a level to visit.

tim1138

I also picked up the DS version last night and my only complaint is there's only one save file, so when I'm done I'll have to erase it for my wife to start a game. It doesn't seem like it's going to be an overly long game, but you do unlock different challenge modes as you complete levels and its a whole lot of fun. I've played two levels and have used GL (Hal in the DS game) and Red Tornado and enjoyed what they did with both characters.

Penguin

Just played Atlantis, and I got to play as Aquaman (who in a neat little trick can create water based weapons like the show but only underwater while on ground, he uses punches and kicks) who was riding a gorilla version of Batman as we fought Gorilla Grodd and an army of armored flying sharks. :lol

Wait? This is in stores already?! Man, going to have to hold off on it for awhile since I'm picking up Reach and Move first. Definitely interested in the game though as I started watching the show on DVD a few weeks ago.

Penguin

Gonna try and write up some impressions/review of sorts for my site then post, but boy is this game short. The DS version that is. Was hoping it would last me through the weekend. :lol

Ephemeris

I'll try to pick this one up, or rent it in the very least. I gotta say I agree with the quote from the OP:

If The Brave and the Bold was a downloadable title I would buy it in an instant.

thetrin

Finished the Wii version today. It liked it quite a bit! I was hoping it was a bit longer, but it's still an enjoyable romp regardless.

It is laughably easy, though. I'm not even sure how you die on bosses.

Splitting the roster was a mistake. The two characters I want to use are on opposing versions. :(

Maybe they'll release a special edition with all the characters.

Top Bottom