• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle For Dragon Ball IP’s Rights Intensifies Following Akira Toriyama’s Passing

Draugoth

Gold Member
Goku-vs-Frieza.jpg

Source
Akria Toriyama’s Dragon Ball franchise is reportedly at the centre of a complex battle for control following the death of the mangaka.

While the series continues to be a global phenomenon, generating billions in revenue through anime, video games, and merchandise, the behind-the-scenes struggle for dominance has intensified.

According to a latest report by Toyo Kezai, at the heart of the conflict is the departure of Akio Iyoku, the former head of Shueisha’s Dragon Ball Room.

Iyoku, known for his close relationship with Toriyama, played a pivotal role in shaping the Dragon Ball universe.

Internal Turmoil:

Akio Iyoku went independent in May 2023, taking several subordinates with him to establish a new company, Capsule Corporation Tokyo.

Named after a fictional company in the series, Capsule Corporation Tokyo aimed to manage creative activities and handle intellectual property rights. He intended for the new company to handle non-manga-serialization production and management for the Dragon Ball franchise, according to report by Kanzenshu.

According to a Shueisha insider, this move stirred significant unrest within Shueisha, as Iyoku had been a pivotal figure of the franchise since his appointment in 2016 to the Dragon Ball Room.

This appointment came following his tenure as Editor-in-Chief of V Jump. However, problems began to surface in the long run.

Without consulting his superiors, Mr. Iyoku unilaterally decided to adapt Toriyama-sensei’s ‘SAND LAND’ into a film. His focus was always on serving the author, sometimes to a fault. Anime production companies and TV networks often criticized him for his condescending attitude,” revealed the insider.

This possessive attitude regarding Dragon Ball, coupled with slow progress in anticipated collaborations involving the metaverse and AI, led to talks of his reassignment from the Dragon Ball Room in 2022.

Dissatisfied with his development, Iyoku went independent within a year. However, despite this, he continued to be the spokesperson for Akira Toriyama and involved with the franchise. This is evident by the fact that he is the executive producer of the upcoming Dragon Ball Daima anime series.

The fallout from Iyoku’s departure created significant challenges for Shueisha, Bandai Namco, and other stakeholders.

A Battle for Dragon Ball Rights:

Iyoku’s exit and the establishment of Capsule Corporation Tokyo raised concerns about Shueisha potentially losing control over the rights of the Dragon Ball IP.

Toriyama’s dissatisfaction with Iyoku’s removal from the Dragon Ball Room further complicated matters, with Shueisha’s Chairman Marue Horiuchi unable to persuade Toriyama to remain aligned with their views.

This situation even placed Bandai Namco, which has profited greatly from the franchise, in a difficult position.

Iyoku, who was Toriyama-sensei’s spokesperson, became independent, but the rights to the manga were managed by Shueisha. It was unclear who to consult regarding matters related to the original work,” said a Bandai Namco insider.

According to the insider, the meetings on Dragon Ball were organized vaguely, with both Shueisha and Iyoku invited, making coordination extremely stressful.

The Uncertain Future of Dragon Ball:

The situation was further complicated after the passing of Akira Toriyama, whose final wishes regarding the franchise’s future remain unclear.

The discussions have continued without the original author, and disputes remain unresolved. A Shueisha employee noted, “The disputes have been ongoing and still remain unresolved.

Industry executives are now looking to Toriyama’s family for a potential resolution, with hopes that their sentiments will guide the future of the franchise, stating, “it depends on how the family feels about it“.

Industry insiders speculate that the battle for control over Dragon Ball is far from over.

RCU005

This is sad. It's bad enough that the creator passed away, then comes greed trying to destroy what it remains.

I don't see a good future for Dragon Ball when it comes to developing new storylines and continuing the manga. They might be able to milk the same thing (Frieza, Cell, But) over and over though.

So the rumors were probably true, Toriyama eventually wanted to get the franchise away from Shueisha's grasp and Iyoku was his ticket out. Unfortunately, since this was an ongoing internal rumor and seemingly never actually put on paper, it seems like this is going to be a mess.

Shubh_C63

They are respecting the Akira's vision and legacy much more than cut and dried who has the legal rights against the IP. This is confusing.

If this person Akira confines to deeply started his own organization where does the rights of the IP LEGALLY lie. Should not have been complicated like this if there wasn't a hint of respect towards the original author. How else can we explain Sand Land becoming a movie and no lawyer team stepped up if he didn't (or did) had the rights other than Akira Toriyama's blessings.

Correct me If I have totally misunderstood this. How can a legal right to an IP be in jeopardy and why would they care what Akira's family had in mind. This would had never happened in the land of the copyrights.

Last edited:

BlackTron

My first impression at headline was "of course fighting over a property this big" but when you read what is going on, it's pretty confusing.

What I can take from it through is that if I was a member of his family I'd be pretty uncomfortable around now with: Industry executives are now looking to Toriyama’s family for a potential resolution, with hopes that their sentiments will guide the future of the franchise, stating, “it depends on how the family feels about it“.

Say you are his family and say "we want Iyoku to manage it completely". So that's it? Yeah right, sounds like the wrong answer to the parties with big money on the line. It's not necessarily the correct one, because the guy seems to be instigating drama. Even if Toriyama liked him, how's he actually fulfilling the role? Lot of questions in the history leading here. I mean, it could be like trying to oust Jafar while being the Sultan's trusted confidant. Or maybe he is defending his late friend's wishes from evil corp. Who knows what a mess.

Diddy X

Gold Member
Present of the series is already bad enough when they put Master Roshi fight in the tournament of power, and that is one of countless nonsense on DBS.

Saber

Fucking sad that just as Akira passed away bunch of carnace people were just waiting to pick up the IP. Fucking disgusting that beloved IP is in a dispute.

near

Gold Member
Fucking sad that just as Akira passed away bunch of carnace people were just waiting to pick up the IP. Fucking disgusting that beloved IP is in a dispute.
That’s not really what’s going on. This started while Toriyama was alive, based on what I’ve read. Akio Iyoku who was head of the Dragon Ball Room (a team that managed the Dragon Ball IP) and has served as Executive Producer, left the Dragon Ball Room to start he’s own company to manage the IP in terms of content creation and distribution. Toriyama worked through Iyoku, who ultimately made things happen on behalf of Toriyama.

This is where it gets confusing at least for me. Toriyama was the copyright holder, he held the rights to the artwork, storylines and characters. Shueisha own the rights to distribute and produce the manga. Bandai Namco own the rights to develop and distribute the games. Toei Animation own the rights to produce the anime series and films. Dragon Ball Room was coordinating with these different departments. Iyoku leaving and forming he’s own company and being an important figure and spokes person for the IP has caused the complications. He wants to pull the strings it seems like through he’s new company and has leveraged he’s friendship with Toriyama and he’s experience with the IP.

But not much else is known on how Iyoku still has so much pulling power, beyond he’s relationship and history, it’s a little baffling. Might he actually have some rights to the IP? I doubt it, but he is a big player in this and won’t allow the IP to move in any direction without he’s approval.

Doom85

Present of the series is already bad enough when they put Master Roshi fight in the tournament of power, and that is one of countless nonsense on DBS.

“They” would most likely be Toriyama since he provided general story outlines for each arc up the ToP arc and some other info and details he wanted implemented, I highly doubt who the fighters for Universe 7 would be a detail he didn’t include.

Like, I love DB/DBZ, but I’m not going to pretend it didn’t have a decent amount of power scaling inconsistencies and stuff Toriyama pulled out of his rear.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That’s not really what’s going on. This started while Toriyama was alive, based on what I’ve read. Akio Iyoku who was head of the Dragon Ball Room (a team that managed the Dragon Ball IP) and has served as Executive Producer, left the Dragon Ball Room to start he’s own company to manage the IP in terms of content creation and distribution. Toriyama worked through Iyoku, who ultimately made things happen on behalf of Toriyama.

This is where it gets confusing at least for me. Toriyama was the copyright holder, he held the rights to the artwork, storylines and characters. Shueisha own the rights to distribute and produce the manga. Bandai Namco own the rights to develop and distribute the games. Toei Animation own the rights to produce the anime series and films. Dragon Ball Room was coordinating with these different departments. Iyoku leaving and forming he’s own company and being an important figure and spokes person for the IP has caused the complications. He wants to pull the strings it seems like through he’s new company and has leveraged he’s friendship with Toriyama and he’s experience with the IP.

But not much else is known on how Iyoku still has so much pulling power, beyond he’s relationship and history, it’s a little baffling. Might he actually have some rights to the IP? I doubt it, but he is a big player in this and won’t allow the IP to move in any direction without he’s approval.
In Japan relationships seem to matter more than letter of the contract IP ownership in some cases, because they prefer to work things out amicably with the relevant parties. We saw something similar happen with Evangelion rights.

near

Gold Member
In Japan relationships seem to matter more than letter of the contract IP ownership in some cases, because they prefer to work things out amicably with the relevant parties. We saw something similar happen with Evangelion rights.
I’m not really familiar with situations like this that hail from Japan, and wasn’t even aware there was a similar case with Evangelion. But that does sound like the cultured way resolving things over there. Though I still wonder if it will pan out reasonably with the Dragon Ball franchise considering its global influence, and the number of parties involved positioned to create content from the property?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I’m not really familiar with situations like this that hail from Japan, and wasn’t even aware there was a similar case with Evangelion. But that does sound like the cultured way resolving things over there. Though I still wonder if it will pan out reasonably with the Dragon Ball franchise considering its global influence, and the number of parties involved positioned to create content from the property?
Yeah, I’m not an expert by any means, but that’s the impression I got. May be why Iyoku was able to walk and do what he did after Toriyama’s passing.

This was an interesting read on the Eva situation:

Hideaki Anno: on Gainax tainting the Evangelion brand

near

Gold Member
Yeah, I’m not an expert by any means, but that’s the impression I got. May be why Iyoku was able to walk and do what he did after Toriyama’s passing.

Thanks for sharing that link, I’ve read through half of it so far and it’s really insightful. Anno is an absolute legend.

Last edited:

Doom85

Oh wow, this surprised me, Gainax’s last show was in 2015, so I assumed the studio had closed years ago (especially as a lot of their talent left to form Studio Trigger and make Kill la Kill, Trigger more or less feels like the modern Gainax), but checking real quick they didn’t file bankruptcy until this year. Strange.

near

Gold Member
Oh wow, this surprised me, Gainax’s last show was in 2015, so I assumed the studio had closed years ago (especially as a lot of their talent left to form Studio Trigger and make Kill la Kill, Trigger more or less feels like the modern Gainax), but checking real quick they didn’t file bankruptcy until this year. Strange.
“And in April 2016, Gainax payments stopped suddenly. There were no answers when we asked for explanations, or messages or calls from President Yamaga. And so, several companies using the name Gainax started appearing across Japan.

Just before the foundation of the subsidiary Fukushima Gainax, in May 2014, Yonago Gainax was founded in Tottori. In April 2016, GAINAX WEST in Hyogo and July of the same year, Gainax Niigata in Niigata, without us knowing anything.”

That link is an incredible read. Holy shit, Anno went through a tough time.

Top Bottom