• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle of the Rental Video Game Stores

B'z-chan

Banned
Well get ready people if you havent already heard this...... (yeah its not that big of a deal...)

Gamerush (Blockbuster) and GameCrazy (hollywood Video) the noobs of Video Store Greatness. Are moving out of there respective stores. Starting in January GameCrazy will be opening stores that arent attached to Hollywood Video. Not only that but Blockbuster is countering by "testing" several location around the US that will offer not only games, but movies, and music....

NOW not to add to this even more, but Gamecrazy is getting its own retail website where you can purchase games old and new. Special orders arent out of the question also. I've been talking with a lot of regional managers lately and it seems like the launch of the site might be coming as soon as Febuary.

So do we honestly need more competion in mall around the US? Of course we do. Blockbuster is gonna be putting in over 20 stores in a bunch of malls by summer 05. I'm not sure what kind of stores these will be, but they are to offer a different experiance. I'm guessing they are gonna give gamestations a try. I heard this rumor a long time ago back in the day that they would have private booths to play games and things like that. So i can only hope that this is what they will do along with a store like setting.

I'm not surprised, by any of this. But i'm sure EB, Gamestop, and some mom and pop stores might be. They are taking a pretty big share from Eb and Gamestop at least in my personal dealings thats the way it seems.

So what do you think? You think that this is gonna force some of the other companies into a tight spot?

Pachinko

There is a private business near where I live that lets you buy games but also try them out for a few bucks an hour before you buy them. In the store , it's a neat idea but the timeshare is too pricey.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Pedigree Chum said:
More competition = better used game prices/trade-in prices.

Even right now Gamecrazy has better trade in prices than local EB's/Gamestops... couple that with the additional what is it 10% bump on trade in values you get if you have their membership card, I do my trade in's at the local gamecrazy, even though an EB just opened up just 5 min from the house, I'll do the 10 min drive to get the better trade in values(don't trade in that much, but when I do...).

I also noticed this. There's way too many game shops in town for the amount of money that's out there. Not all of them will survive. One local chain expanded from 1 store to 6 stores in the state, I wonder how they are faring.

Top Bottom