• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise |OT| Another Nintendo rhythm game no-one will play

Shiggy

GBL_Wii_BeatTheBeatRhythmParadise.jpg

You think you should stop taking drugs because you somewhat remember already playing this game ages ago? Some may now say "What's wrong with you?", I just say "Calm down". You are just one of the seven NeoGAF users who bought either the American or Japanese version of this game, which is also known as Rhythm Heaven Fever.

European Release: July 6, 2012
US-Release: February 13, 2012
Japanese Release: July 21, 2011

Retails for 39.99€ and less.

Is there anything new in Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise?
It's the only version of the game that includes both the English and the Japanese soundtracks.

564950560.jpg

Does Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise have a full localisation like Rhythm Paradise for DS? I only speak French, German, Italian and Spanish, but no English and Japanese.
Unfortunately not. The original sold pretty badly in Europe and Wii sales aren't too healthy either nowadays. While all texts were translated into these languages, the songs weren't. You can only choose between the Japanese and the English soundtracks.

Why did this game take this long to arrive in European shores?
Emily Rogers version: NoA did not want to hand out its localisation to NoE because everyone likes NoE, whereas NoA only receives criticism
Other version: Because nobody cares about it. Rhythm Paradise for Nintendo DS was fully localised in lots of languages, but sales were rather lacklustre. NoE tried different marketing tricks: They added a paper slipcase featuring Beyonce; also, it was the only game for which Nintendo sent out free demos on a DS card. Sales remained low, the game ended in the bargain bin and was available for 10€ and less only a few weeks after release.

For the first time on home consoles, the quirky rhythm-based action of Rhythm Paradise returns, so get ready to gather your friends and family round the TV to experience a colourful world of quirky rhythm games!

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise for Wii features 50 brand new rhythm games and the eccentric characters and funny situations that Rhythm Paradise fans have come to know and love. From playing golf with mandrill to controlling a flowerpot-punching karate man, everything has to be done in time to the beat to win.

Try not to let the craziness occurring on screen distract you from the music because it is keeping the rhythm that counts. If you do stop to look at what’s going on then you won’t be disappointed, as each of the 50 rhythm games has their own short story featuring the classic Rhythm Paradise humour. In a European exclusive, fans will also be able to switch between the Japanese and English soundtracks covering many musical styles.

Be careful not to miss a beat! Losing the rhythm in Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise means you lose the game - but don’t worry, the controls are really easy to pick up! Just press the A Button or the A Button and B Button together! Half the fun is learning how to master each situation, and while the action is just as challenging as fans of the series would expect, beginners won’t be stuck for long thanks to the new feature that allows you to check the correct performance of the song to help you to master the required rhythm.

Some games can be played in co-op mode, so why not invite a friend to play with you? The aim is to play together and master the different rhythms; the more compatible you are, the higher your score! If you’re feeling particularly competitive then why not challenge your friend to play one of the Endless Dual Games? The fun doesn’t stop but the action becomes progressively harder as you go on - a real test of your rhythm skills.

For musical action that will challenge and amuse you in equal measure and keep you hooked for hours of fun, look no further than Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise for Wii when it launches across Europe on 6th July.

The Rhythm Paradise series makes its debut on a home console with Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise for Wii
Get together to enjoy 50 brand new rhythm games that are as much fun to play as they are to watch
Switch between the Japanese and English soundtracks, only in the European version

screensvxpe1.jpg

1_wii_beatthebeatrhytwnmvy.png

2_wii_beatthebeatrhyt02jbm.png

3_wii_beatthebeatrhytsnj60.png

reviews5ezp6.jpg

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise is yet another hit from the Nintendo factory, mixing in elements from the original Japan-only release, Rhythm Tengoku on GBA, and continuing in the fine form set by the Nintendo DS version. The perfect game for the warmth summer months; prepare for the rhythm heat wave!

Cubed3.com 8/10

Beat The Beat is brilliant. And it's arrived at just the right time: in this relatively quiet pre-Wii U period, none of you have any excuse not to go out and grab it. We need more games like this. It's bursting with imagination, smiles and - like Brain Training - an admirable mission to improve its players. It must not be missed. Just be warned: it will send you as batty as its designer.
CVG 8.9/10

Destructoid 9.5/10
IGN 7.0/10
Metacritic 85%

artozxyj9.jpg

linksxqx8z.jpg

Official website
Iwata Asks: Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise
US website
Japanese website
Launch Trailer

Mzo

This game is fantastic, and having both languages as an option makes this the best version.

I understand why the DS game didn't do so well, the controls were just not as good as the GBA game. This game shouldn't suffer for that.

Oh yes, i'm ready, I look forward to being part of the minimal sales.
I'm already preparing myself for the inevitable progress halting minigames that will drive me up the wall.

zroid

Banned
I hope more people buy this than Rhythm Heaven Fever. Best version of the game, I'm even considering double dipping on it.

PS: RHF's box art is better ;P
IT'S SOMETHING

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What a stupid name.

Anyway, this game is amazing. Everyone should own it.

Saw a trailer for this at the start of a Youtube video the other day and it was the first time I genuinely missed my Wii. Love the DS version, and the GBA version more.

I'll probably grab this anyway, and just get a Wii whenever.

WhyMe6

This better get an Australian release, because I want to pick it up with Theatrhythm. Music bliss.

I'm also so happy they stuck with button controls for this. I went from "GOTY, Best Music Game Ever, Replay 100x" on the GBA original to "Controls ruined it, not even finishing it" on the DS game. I was astounded that they would ruin the series so easily with such a change. But they're back on board now!

This better get an Australian release, because I want to pick it up with Theatrhythm. Music bliss.

I'm also so happy they stuck with button controls for this. I went from "GOTY, Best Music Game Ever, Replay 100x" on the GBA original to "Controls ruined it, not even finishing it" on the DS game. I was astounded that they would ruin the series so easily with such a change. But they're back on board now!

Some of the stuff on DS is incredible though, basically anything that doesn't involve swiping, the tapping and holding was fine. The black and white dudes is probably my favourite thing in the whole series

I guess I'm "one of the seven", as I imported this as soon as it was released in the US, and had been looking forward to it for a long time prior to that.

It's a great game, however, I wouldn't recommend paying more than £20 for it. I had all the games finished in a couple of hours. Of course it takes longer than that to get medals/perfects, but the fact remains is that you'll have seen pretty much everything the game has to offer in about 3-4 hours or so. The DS version gets away with being so short, as it's a handheld game, so it's easy to pick up and play for 5 minutes or so. I've replayed all the games plenty of times (both to try and get better ratings and just for fun), but even so, there's only so much replay value there.

Everybody should play this, certainly. But I recommend waiting until you can pick it up cheap, or renting it.

EDIT: Just saw the German trailer. Holy shit, you think they'd actually get somebody decent to play it! It doesn't make the game or trailer look good when the person playing keeps making lots of mistakes. It should be perfect in a trailer.

I loved Rhythm Paradise DS but its difficulty put me off buying this game. The songs themselves were insanely addictive though.

I came in here thinking this was an awesome eShop game I haven't heard of. Instead, it's just Rhythm Tengoku with a weird name.

However, Rhythm Heaven Wii is so awesome. It is a must play. I'm very jealous that you can switch between English and Japanese music, though.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Amazing game, I imported the US version when it came out. The Japanese soundtrack is a nice bonus for the PAL version, though I don't understand why it took 5 extra months when the localisation is so minimal.

I understand why the DS game didn't do so well, the controls were just not as good as the GBA game. This game shouldn't suffer for that.

How could the controls put people off if they never played the game? Rhythm Paradise was just an awkward sell to consumers, it had nothing to do with the quality of the game's controls. No surprise that they've tried to re-brand this franchise in Europe.

Man... that is a really bad name. I enjoyed the NA version for a while but I got kinda bored with it. The game sure is an emotional roller coaster though, I never thought I'd be livid over tiny monkeys in a watch.

I loved Rhythm Paradise DS but its difficulty put me off buying this game. The songs themselves were insanely addictive though.

Yeah, this is another problem with the series; most players will eventually hit a difficulty barrier that they will never be able to overcome, be it simply clearing all the games, or getting Superb/Perfect ratings.

If you get stuck simply clearing a game, then too bad. You can't move onto the next one until you clear it. So you end up hating a game because you end up replaying it over and over again.

Oh, and why they still do that bullshit with getting Perfect ratings. For those of you who don't know, the game occasionally informs you that you have the chance to try and achieve a Perfect on a specific game. You have three chances, and then your chance is gone. This happens arbitrarily, randomly, and even if you clear a game with no mistakes, unless the game has informed you that you have the opportunity to go for a Perfect, it doesn't count for shit.

If you get stuck simply clearing a game, then too bad. You can't move onto the next one until you clear it. So you end up hating a game because you end up replaying it over and over again.

This was exactly the problem, If they'd just let me choose a level then I could get to it in my own time, but I got stuck on one of the first games (the table tennis one) so I could only play the other four or so that I had passed :(

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Oh, and why they still do that bullshit with getting Perfect ratings. For those of you who don't know, the game occasionally informs you that you have the chance to try and achieve a Perfect on a specific game. You have three chances, and then your chance is gone. This happens arbitrarily, randomly, and even if you clear a game with no mistakes, unless the game has informed you that you have the opportunity to go for a Perfect, it doesn't count for shit.

Personally I like this. It adds a bit of tension to the game knowing that you can't afford to mess up. Once you've cleared every stage you don't have to wait for the perfect challenge to appear, they reappear instantly though they still cycle across the minigames.

Getting PERFECT on every stage feels like such an achievement, when you see all those little P symbols shining away...it makes you feel like a Rhythm God.

I'm pretty sure they let you skip ahead if you are so bad you can't even get an OK. You have to fail a few times for it to pop up, though I will never understand how someone could buy a rhythm game and struggle to OK every stage.

zroid

Banned

This was exactly the problem, If they'd just let me choose a level then I could get to it in my own time, but I got stuck on one of the first games (the table tennis one) so I could only play the other four or so that I had passed :(

You can skip games, btw. You just have to fail at them a certain number of times, I believe.

Once you've proven that you suck, you go to the bartender and he lets you skip the game. Something like that, I've never done this personally...

koma

I loved the DS version, i'm ready to play this in lazy summer afternoons... probably the last Wii game that i will buy for the console <3

Jackano

I actually pre-ordered it at GAME France yesterday who has a special offer: 39EUR and for 1EUR more, Rythm Paradise for DS.
I hate the rythm games but this sounds like a fair deal so I will give it a try.

mrpeabody

This is just a re-release of Rhythm Heaven Fever with a different name? Why would they put money into that?

edit: Ah, this is the European release, got it.

Part of me wants this. The other part of me is like "It is £30. America paid $30 which is like £20. Also it is 5 months late. Is this the message I want to send NOE; I'm so desperate I'll be fleeced?". Then again given the Wii is in life support stage it is hard to gauge what exactly game prices will do as its far more likely to just go out of stock rather than lower price. Of course buying it guarantees it'll drop in price.

Plus me going on Holiday the day it comes out means I won't be able to sign up for the post play survey and complain about the price for the whole thing...which removes any day 1 incentive.

What do I need to do to play this on my US Wii?
Walk into Gamestop. Buy Rhythm Heaven Fever. Done...plus its like $25 cheaper.

But if you really need the Japanese music. Check out the homebrew thread (you will need an SD card and the ability to read step-by-step instructions) and then find a retailer to ship the over to America. Given the rip-off European price plus shipping it'll cost considerably more (but less than the Japanese version plus its in English).

Yeah, loved Fever, interested in the Japanese soundtrack if it's not much of a heavy lift. Seems easy enough, plus I've been wanting to homebrew for a while to play things like Another Code R. Can the process be reversed, or is it worth investing in a separate Wii to play with things like this? They're cheap enough these days, right?

Oaky

Neo Member
I was under the impression that the Euro release would coincide with an Australian release. Is that not the case? Does anyone know anything about the Australian release at all?

If they're going to make us wait any longer, they shouldn't bother. The people who really want the game are going to order it from the UK anyway, it's already been 5 months since they got it in America. I don't know what Nintendo are thinking.

Drago

Never picked up the NA release... maybe I'll import this, seeing as it's the definitive version.

Of course, I'll need to hack my Wii first x_x
Hope that WiiU pulls a 3DS (DS region free, 3DS region lock) and is region free for Wii titles

cacildo

I dont like these games

These games are cute, fun. They´re amazing, in fact.... until you realize you CANNOT MISS

If you miss a single beat, a single button press.... this means you wont get a perfect score.

Really, is too much pressure! I just cant have any fun as soon as i realize i CANT MISS

Well of course, perfect scores require perfection, I think I got a whopping one perfect on the DS game.
Having received this game earlier in the morning and playing through the first set of games i'm thinking they made it easier to get superb ranks and medals.

Well of course, perfect scores require perfection, I think I got a whopping one perfect on the DS game.
Having received this game earlier in the morning and playing through the first set of games i'm thinking they made it easier to get superb ranks and medals.

Wait until you reach some of the later games.

Actually scratch that; wait until you reach Monkey Watch in the second set of games. That's probably the most out-of-place game considering it's so early on, yet really difficult to get the hang of.

Wait until you reach some of the later games.

Actually scratch that; wait until you reach Monkey Watch in the second set of games. That's probably the most out-of-place game considering it's so early on, yet really difficult to get the hang of.

Why must you crush my medal earning dreams so swiftly? so the first brick wall minigame is heading up early then, smashing.

Having tried Monkey Watch just once I have to say this is a load of primate excrement, WHY DON'T YOU WANT MY HIGH FIVES?!
The fast paced repetition and off beat tricks remind me of lock step except that one was actually awesome.

I felt like a did poorly with the Tambourine one but somehow walked out with a superb first time, odd, meanwhile the office one seems to have a very thin line between success and failure, still back to Monkey Watch, what the hells guys?!

Piano

Banned
Just picked this up last week (US version). Awesome game. Terrible name for the European release, though.

Hope that WiiU pulls a 3DS (DS region free, 3DS region lock) and is region free for Wii titles
The reason DS games are region free is that they have no region code in them to begin with (which is not true of Wii games). To retrospectively add region locking for DS games is doable but there is no financial gain from it.

Top Bottom