• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beetlejuice 2 Trailer Released

What’s with the special effects, is it made for kids?

images

The first was a lot more horrific.
1SySdd.gif
The only really questionable effects in the first movie were the sandworm. But I love the look of the original film.

Also, I am going to take a guess and say that the shrunken head guy in the stripped suit is the original Beetlejuice? That's not really a spoiler, since it is just speculation.

Even the 'Hello, my name is BOB' nametag, kinda hints that is it the Beetlejuice from the first movie? Perhaps?

Maybe Beetlejuice x2 is the name of this version's Beetlejuice? Is Tim Burton doing a multi-verse take... or an impostor story thread? I don't have any forgone knowledge of this movie beyond what was presented in both trailers and perhaps a few rando movie-news stories.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
The only really questionable effects in the first movie were the sandworm. But I love the look of the original film.

Also, I am going to take a guess and say that the shrunken head guy in the stripped suit is the original Beetlejuice? That's not really a spoiler, since it is just speculation.

Even the 'Hello, my name is BOB' nametag, kinda hints that is it the Beetlejuice from the first movie? Perhaps?

Maybe Beetlejuice x2 is the name of this version's Beetlejuice? Is Tim Burton doing a multi-verse take... or an impostor story thread? I don't have any forgone knowledge of this movie beyond what was presented in both trailers and perhaps a few rando movie-news stories.

The shrunken head guy is just the shrunken head guy pretending to be beetlejuice. Classic joke of dressing as another character, but in a way that clearly doesn’t look like that character.

Probably an escape attempt from Juice.

Power Pro

I think the trailer looks pretty good, I'm optimistic and hope it's good. I'll go to the theater for this for sure.

The shrunken head guy is just the shrunken head guy pretending to be beetlejuice. Classic joke of dressing as another character, but in a way that clearly doesn’t look like that character.

Probably an escape attempt from Juice.
OK, when I saw that scene from the trailer, I thought it was either a flash back to the first movie, or something else... But it seems like BettleJuices ex wife is hunting him down?

Dr. Claus

Banned
OK, when I saw that scene from the trailer, I thought it was either a flash back to the first movie, or something else... But it seems like BettleJuices ex wife is hunting him down?

So basically the Afterlife is like the DMV. It is highly bureucratic, lots of rules, long lines, and misery. Beetlejuice has now died twice, and I feel there will be some rule that is currently unexplained.

As for work, he was an bioexorcist before, so many he returned to doing that? Could also explain why the shrunken head dude is dressed as beetlejuice.

As for the ex wife - she is indeed hunting him down. I think the whole reason he wanted to marry lydia was to get away from her.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I wonder if Geena Davis will show up in a cameo? Alec Baldwin probably won't so to keep everyone on the set safe.

Same reason for not having Jeffrey Jones I guess.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
It looks O.K. Def a curiosity watch. It even looks... fun...
I wonder if Geena Davis will show up in a cameo? Alec Baldwin probably won't so to keep everyone on the set safe.

Same reason for not having Jeffrey Jones I guess.
Finding out about Jones past with the minor was a face slapper. I've seen him in tons of movies, one of the more notable ones, besides Beetlejuice was Howard the Duck? What a fucking shame... letting a sick desire like that destroy your whole career and upend your life from a more "peaceful" state. Now, the guy has to inform everyone he's a sexual deviant, everytime he wishes to relocate.

I don't see why Geena and Alec couldn't do a quick cameo, together. WHile Alec's involvement might catch flack, I've seen Hollywood do worse.

So basically the Afterlife is like the DMV. It is highly bureucratic, lots of rules, long lines, and misery. Beetlejuice has now died twice, and I feel there will be some rule that is currently unexplained.

As for work, he was an bioexorcist before, so many he returned to doing that? Could also explain why the shrunken head dude is dressed as beetlejuice.

As for the ex wife - she is indeed hunting him down. I think the whole reason he wanted to marry lydia was to get away from her.

I would say that the afterlife portions of the original Beetlejuice were some of the more interesting parts of the movie. I also liked the character of the case worker. It was also the main plot of the original, as the honeymooner couple played by Alex Baldwin and Geena Davis haunting the latest owners of their former house. Beetlejuice was always the wild card character.

The ex-wife aspect is pretty amusing. The guy in the Beetlejuice suit could be Harry the Headhunter (he was also in the cartoon series) dressed up to throw off Beetljuice's his ex-wife? It is definitely a call back to the ending of the first movie. The small headed guy seems to be in more than a few scenes a side character. The joke in the original movie was that he was sitting beside the voodoo doctor who shrunk his head in the waiting room.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is looking pretty good! Regardless of the plot, I feel like it’s gonna be worth watching for Michael Keaton alone.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
His voice is unsurprisingly a little different. Other than that under all that makeup it really doesn't matter how old he is. It looks like he's bringing the energy.

Toots

Gold Member
It's gonna be hard to make me believe Beetlejuice wants to escape his wife when she's played by Monica Belluci :messenger_grinning_sweat:

clarky

Gold Member
Early reviews from the Venice film festival dont sound too hot

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Everyone took a shit on "Mars Attacks" except me.

Jim Brown & Tom Jones baby! 😄
I gave a like months ago, but let me just say, Mars Attacks was brilliant. I saw it much later, after its theatrical run was complete.
Basically a no mercy, dark comedy. I like how, as a first time watcher, the Aliens have semi unpredictable behavior, which mostly leads to the complete disintegration of people, left and right.

I gave a like months ago, but let me just say, Mars Attacks was brilliant. I saw it much later, after its theatrical run was complete.
Basically a no mercy, dark comedy. I like how, as a first time watcher, the Aliens have semi unpredictable behavior, which mostly leads to the complete disintegration of people, left and right.
Mars Attacks is great. I met my girlfriend chatting her up over wearing a Mars Attacks shirt weirdly enough lol

Power Pro

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it! I don't laugh at movies meant to be funny a lot these days, but I definitely laughed a few times throughout this. Not gonna win any awards for best picture, but it felt like a fun movie from the 80s made today. Micheal Keaton killed it through all his scenes. Jenna Ortega is kinda meh, but that's just what I think about her in everything. I also like how they got around using Jeffery Jones again lol. Winona Ryder seemed like she was having a good time, and just slipped back into the role seamlessly, also...am I crazy or is she still pretty hot?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Just got back from seeing it. I liked it! I don't laugh at movies meant to be funny a lot these days, but I definitely laughed a few times throughout this. Not gonna win any awards for best picture, but it felt like a fun movie from the 80s made today. Micheal Keaton killed it through all his scenes. Jenna Ortega is kinda meh, but that's just what I think about her in everything. I also like how they got around using Jeffery Jones again lol. Winona Ryder seemed like she was having a good time, and just slipped back into the role seamlessly, also...am I crazy or is she still pretty hot?

Winona is only two years older than I am... She's still pretty. Did you mean pretty or physically attractive? I don't find her physically all that because I like a round booty but she's definitely still pretty

Neff

Just got back, it's a solid, extremely faithful sequel. When it retreads old ground, which it does a lot, it does something cool with it, as opposed to simple, gratuitous, 'I clapped because I recognised thing' which too many sequels to old, old movies do these days. The first act pleasantly bobs along, then the second act happens and it really got its hooks into me. For a moment I thought I was potentially watching a movie on par with the original. The final act is suitably loony and enjoyable but doesn't deliver the strong finish the movie deserves imo. The returning cast is superb, they're all clearly having a blast, and the newcomers earn their place effortlessly. You can tell even Burton is having a great time. The production design and heavy use of practical effects makes you feel like you've stepped right back into the '80s. Elfman kills it like he always does.

Perhaps not quite worth the wait but a lot of fun nonetheless and pushes the nostalgia buttons in all the right ways. I want to see it again.

kunonabi

Yep, winona is still a babe. Stranger things season 4 showed her getting changed briefly and it was a treat.

Power Pro

6 / 10 for these guys, a meh episode in a good tv series.

And that's always been what Beetlejuce was? Seriously, what did they expect going into this? I like the original Beetlejuice, and I really liked this new one (almost more than the original at times), but you gotta go in with the mindset that you're not really seeing high art, you're seeing funny goofy art.

Mossybrew

I feel like I'm seeing two very different reactions to this thing, it's either "Burton's best movie in years!" or "Tired nostalgia bait" - anyway I'm still looking forward to seeing it when it becomes available on streaming.

simpatico

I feel like I'm seeing two very different reactions to this thing, it's either "Burton's best movie in years!" or "Tired nostalgia bait" - anyway I'm still looking forward to seeing it when it becomes available on streaming.
Take note of who's reviewing it. Always worth a google to get a good look at them and see what other films they enjoy. I rarely come away surprised when I do.

Neff

it's either "Burton's best movie in years!" or "Tired nostalgia bait"

Can you even trust a modern review these days, either professional or influencer-based?

It's definitely nostalgia-bait-y, I mean how could a 2024 sequel to a 1988 movie not be? But I'd agree that it's the best Burton movie in a while. I wouldn't however subscribe to the trendy idea that Burton ever lost his touch. He never missed a step imo.

bitbydeath

It was alright. Definitely not as good as the first. The former was a fun wild ride and this one felt a bit too serious that tried to do too much at once.

kunonabi

Can you even trust a modern review these days, either professional or influencer-based?

It's definitely nostalgia-bait-y, I mean how could a 2024 sequel to a 1988 movie not be? But I'd agree that it's the best Burton movie in a while. I wouldn't however subscribe to the trendy idea that Burton ever lost his touch. He never missed a step imo.
Alice in the Wonderland through Dumbo is definitely a much weaker stretch of his filmography with only Frankenweenie and Big Eyes reaching OK status in terms of quality and Alice being the only real bonafide financial success. Their were glimmers of old Tim Burton here and there and I would put more of the blame on the awful scripts but still he wasn't really firing on all cylinders regardless.

Neff

Alice in the Wonderland through Dumbo is definitely a much weaker stretch of his filmography

I don't think anyone would disagree that he was strongest in his early days. During the '80s and early '90s the man was on fire. But the rest of his filmography is absolutely worth watching. Even when he's 'bad', he's still damn good. The only movie of his I dislike is Sweeney Todd but even so it's a gorgeous movie with plenty of great moments.

Neff

Any references to Davis and Baldwin?

Briefly mentioned as original owners of the Deetzs house and responsible for building the model in the attic but that's basically it. Their subsequent relationship with the Deetzs after the original movie isn't touched upon. As of the sequel they're no longer wandering around as ghosts because they've 'moved on'.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm reading comments on how this movie is basically a two hour homage to the beauty of Monica Bellucci and now I feel I have to see the movie.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Weird movie. It's like 4 movie plots that don't really tie together that don't go anywhere either. They should have just picked one and fleshed it out.

Top Bottom