• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice will go down as Tim Burton's Young Frankenstein.

Deerock71

I just saw a sneak preview with my son on IMAX last night. His brilliant one sentence review,"Well that's the most Tim Burton movie I've ever seen." When you get into his psychotic mind, the writing is sublimely twisted. Life and death are so fluid in this movie your brain starts to accept whatever happens, and then you find yourself immersed in an animated, claymationed, wild-ass version of Pulp Fiction on acid.

Do not get this spoiled for you. Go see it on IMAX.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I just saw a sneak preview with my son on IMAX last night. His brilliant one sentence review,"Well that's the most Tim Burton movie I've ever seen." When you get into his psychotic mind, the writing is sublimely twisted. Life and death are so fluid in this movie your brain starts to accept whatever happens, and then you find yourself immersed in an animated, claymationed, wild-ass version of Pulp Fiction on acid.

Do not get this spoiled for you. Go see it on IMAX.
Tim Burton Halloween GIF by Freeform

Deerock71

I'm gonna see it again in a week. I'll take my other kids to it. There's so much happening on screen I want to absorb parts I know I missed.

near

Gold Member
How long was the preview you saw?

Or was it a pre-screening of sorts?

Last edited:

Deerock71

I thought reviews were middling for this.
There are laughs in this movie from top to bottom. It runs a little long at two plus hours, but I don't know what I'd cut to shorten it. It doesn't hurt to have the first movie locked into your memory banks for many subtle callbacks. And honestly, I don't know who could walk away from that movie and not be shook to their core at the visual splendor on screen. The performances are on point, the writing is a rollercoaster, and...well, it's Tim Burton's psyche on display.

Deerock71

How long was the preview you saw?

Or was it a pre-screening of sorts?
It was the whole movie. Just an early viewing. You could tell it was a first run. The previews ran twice in their entirety, and the first few minutes had no sound, so they had to rewind it for us lol.

Deerock71

Seeing it tomorrow. Took the day off for this and Astro Bot. I really hope it’s good. My expectations are in check though. The trailers didn’t look like they have the same vibe of the original at all.
I went in almost blind, having only seen a couple of trailers. My expectations were in check going in. Well, now I'll pony up the dough to see it at least one more time on IMAX, if that says anything about it.

Just saw it in IMAX.

Overall a pretty decent watch, but the story is all over the place. Don't get me wrong, the visuals and sets are fantastic and there's clearly a lot of love behind it, but there's like 6 different stories going on at once and none of them get enough attention to really matter by the end.

Loved the cast though, and if there's ever an extended cut I'd love to see more. Felt like a lot of stuff was left on the cutting room floor.

I'd give it like a 7/10

Deerock71

Not my cup of tea, but i can understand why you would say that. Before that film? Mars Attacks maybe?

Bettlejuice-Batman-Edward Scissorhands. Is the best run he's had by miles.
I'm gonna shoot straight with you. I haven't liked a whole lot from Tim Burton from Batman on...with the EXCEPTION of Nightmare Before Christmas. But I'll tell you without hesitation I believe this movie is superior to Beetlejuice.

EDIT- I forgot about Ed Wood. That one was great.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Sondheim had a lot to do with that one being enjoyable.

I enjoyed Into the Woods enormously as well. I wish there more Sondheim productions had been turned into movies.

Not my cup of tea, but i can understand why you would say that. Before that film? Mars Attacks maybe?

Bettlejuice-Batman-Edward Scissorhands. Is the best run he's had by miles.

Never been a fan of the Batman movies, but I thought Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands were very good and The Nightmare Before Christmas is an absolute masterpiece, one of my favorite movies ever. Liked Ed Wood, I thought that Mars Attack was for TIm Burton what 1941 was for Steven Spielberg. Sleepy Hollow and Corpse Bride were good too. I need to see Big Fish again, can't remember almost nothing from that movie.

Last edited:
It's on my short list of things to actually see in the theaters. I can count on one hand the movies that has come out this year that I was willing to see in the theaters. This is one of them.

wondermega

It's a sad state of affairs that Burton has made a new Beetlejuice movie "finally" and that I can hardly be bothered to care. I have extreme adoration for many of his earlier works (as anyone else who is cool and knows what's-what has) but his output of I Dunno How Many Years has failed to keep any kindling of interest of what he's up to, even when it is an IP with essentially infinite possibility such as this. I'm not trying to sound judgey, there is so much more that goes into the creation of a film (or piece of cinematic art, to be precise) and I don't blame a particular artist for "no longer failing to provide just exactly what I want" but Burton has always been in a class by himself, for better and worse. He's had such a range of delivery (some of the most influential work ever put to screen) but he's also just settled into "pretty safe production matching his brand." I could never fault him for that, and the timelessness of the work he's done - that I HAVE loved - will forever be worthy in spite of whatever he's made (plenty) that I've cared little-to-none about.

That all being said - I'm a pretty dyed-in-the-wool variety of nerd who has endless love for his work on Pee Wee, Batman, Beetlejuice (first one), Mars Attacks, and will forever hold him in exceptional regard for those films alone. If he ever made one more piece of cinema that could hold a candle to any of those (in my eyes) I would absolutely embrace them as I did those films. But when I heard he was doing a Beetlejuice sequel after all this time, would I have any expectations at all? Hmm it is going to be made as any film in 2024 would, and that means tons of CG (I don't hate CG, I am a 3D artist). Yeah that's cool if Keaton is back reprising a beloved role but what would that look like in the VERY different political environment we live in, in the modern day? Never mind how honestly out-of-place his whole portrayal in the Flash movie felt? (He did a fine job, as well as could be expected, but it was completely edited to shit and all the action involving the character looked and felt so.. WRONG). So do I really want or need any more of that?

The potential for a new Beetlejuice movie in 2024 is of course huge, the IP is rich, the characters are compelling and beautiful. I am not gonna have any expectations other than what I have just ranted on about, but there's always the chance for a pleasant surprise. I will wait until the dust clears & the hype blows over, to hear if a movie like this is something for me, or just another flash in the pan to come and go.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hmm it is going to be made as any film in 2024 would, and that means tons of CG (I don't hate CG, I am a 3D artist). Yeah that's cool if Keaton is back reprising a beloved role but what would that look like in the VERY different political environment we live in, in the modern day? Never mind how honestly out-of-place his whole portrayal in the Flash movie felt?

Burton does stop motion in the movie. It's not a CG fest, as for "modern" Beetlejuice:
“He's a thing. He's more of a thing than a he or a she, he's more of an it. And I'm not saying ‘it’ to be politically correct. I just viewed it as a force more than anything. I mean, there’s definitely strong male energy, like stupid male energy, which I love. You don't want to touch that because it's not like you go, ‘Well, it's a new year and this thing would now act like that.’”

Keaton didn't update Beetlejuice for modern times. I know some YouTube channels are taking his "It" comment out of context and screaming he turned him woke, but he explains there that Beetlejuice is more of a force of nature of male energy and he didn't change that.

Deerock71

Keaton didn't update Beetlejuice for modern times. I know some YouTube channels are taking his "It" comment out of context and screaming he turned him woke, but he explains there that Beetlejuice is more of a force of nature of male energy and he didn't change that.
He's still delightfully perverse.

Power Pro

I saw it last night also, and I had a fun time. It really felt like a good 80s movie made today. You can't go in expecting a cinematic classic, but if you go in hoping to see a really good Beetlejuice movie, that's exactly what you get.

Tim Burton's style in those one really felt like one of his older movies, and not the mess that something like Alice in Wonderland is. Give it a chance, and if you go in looking to have a good time, you will.

RAÏSanÏa

as for "modern" Beetlejuice:
“He's a thing. He's more of a thing than a he or a she, he's more of an it. And I'm not saying ‘it’ to be politically correct. I just viewed it as a force more than anything. I mean, there’s definitely strong male energy, like stupid male energy, which I love. You don't want to touch that because it's not like you go, ‘Well, it's a new year and this thing would now act like that.’”
This is encouraging to read for the future of film. Concise thoughtful reasoning using a supernatural creature to articulate an understanding of consciousness as 'it' with qualities that can be taken as emerging from the energy surrounding. Qualities that aren't displaced by something arbitrary, which would be jarring and undermine.

calistan

2007 - Sweeney Todd
Sweeney Todd is one of my favourite films and stage musicals ever. I'm just waiting for the right time to show the movie to my daughter (she's only 10).

Saw an amazing theatrical performance of it many years ago, where they had the whole set presented in a sort of cube that the actors pulled pieces out of to make different scenes. For the killings, they poured a bucket of blood into an empty bucket. Possibly the best thing I've seen on the stage, alongside Terry Gilliam's version of Into the Woods.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Pleasantly surprised to see such positivity, I recently rewatched the first in preparation but had written this one off based on the reviews.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’ll probably see it, ‘cuz I have a bunch of free ticket for the movies and there isn’t much more to see right now.
I’m glad people here are liking it. Burton was never one of my favorites (Big Fish is by far my favorite movie of his, I love it), but he’s been dead to me since the utter trash that was Alice in Wonderland.

kunonabi

I’ll probably see it, ‘cuz I have a bunch of free ticket for the movies and there isn’t much more to see right now.
I’m glad people here are liking it. Burton was never one of my favorites (Big Fish is by far my favorite movie of his, I love it), but he’s been dead to me since the utter trash that was Alice in Wonderland.
Dark Shadows is far far worse despite a promising first 10 minutes or so, Chloe Grace Moretz actually looking hot for once, and Eva Green having the goddamn time of her life vamping it up and feasting on the scenery like her life depended on it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Reminder that in 1988 the PG rated original had Fuckin’ in it:

Beetlejuice was even a god damned Saturday morning cartoon! I miss the 80s.

As for Nightmare Before Christmas, I think that was more Selick than Burton. Burton's other stop motion films were very bland in comparison. Selick deserves far more credit and far more work than he got!

Last edited:

NahaNago

Finally saw the movie on Wednesday and i would say the movie is okay. The movie felt really safe almost corporate and it had too many branching storylines. I think their was like 7 storylines in the movie and it should have maybe been cut down to like half that. They should have maybe increased the disgusting levels and weirdness of that world in the movie with beetlejuice and the ghosts.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I thought the creativity of the movie was great, but as a whole, it felt like more like a standalone episode if Beetlejuice had an HBO TV show. I still had fun though.

Top Bottom