• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before Christ canned

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/559/559254p1.html

B.C. Canned

October 22, 2004 - The Intrepid and Lionhead caveman game, B.C., has today been canned after many years of work. Here's the word from Lionhead:

In announcing the decision to suspend work on BC, Peter Molyneux Managing Director of Lionhead Studios said "The decision to suspend work on any games project is always a very difficult one, particularly when it is a title with the potential of BC. We hope to revive the project at a later date and will endeavour to assign as many of the team as possible to other Lionhead projects."
Here's hoping that this sees the light of day at some point.

-- Andrew Burnes

Suspended != canned

We hope to revive the project at a later date

Reading between the lines :-
BC to Xenon.

Hehe maybe the Fable backlash scared them off of even more unfulfilled promises.

:D

Strike one more from Xbox's 2005 list.

Looks more and more likely that Xenon will release Fall 2005

gollumsluvslave said:
Suspended != canned

Reading between the lines :-
BC to Xenon.

Hehe maybe the Fable backlash scared them off of even more unfulfilled promises.

:D

Strike one more from Xbox's 2005 list.

Looks more and more likely that Xenon will release Fall 2005

or maybe only for pc

SyNapSe

:( This is sad, the game looked like it could be so cool. It was obvious something was wrong as long as it was taking to create. It had been in the background for a long time too.

Trevelyon

shocked.jpg

PhatSaqs

Banned
Depends on who did the "suspending". Most likely MS as I doubt Lionhead would say: "Dont send us anymore checks. We're suspending this game...." which would lead to them basically hunting for another publisher. Thus suspending development until (and hoping) they do.

Bregor

gollumsluvslave said:
Just to reiterate:-

Suspended != canned

Lionhead official quote :-

They are ending work on it and reassigning team personal to other projects. If you think that this means that there is still any real chance of it coming out, you are deceiving yourself.

They all say that, man. Is this your first cancellation or something?

Really? More often than not the official word says 'Cancelled' when something has been cancelled. Not really seen many official statements that explicitly say 'Suspended'.

But it may well be that it is cancelled.
Just think it reeks of Lionhead moving the game to Xenon. Saying it's suspended in an official statement means people won't be asking for updates etc.

Not that I give two monkeys anyhow, the game was likely to be full of overbloated promises anyway :D

Tim

I was so waiting for this to happen. From the moment the first screens were posted it was obvious it was way too ambitious a project for this generation of consoles.
Interesting concept for next-gen though, if they change the art, which I didn't like one bit.

gohepcat

Banned
gollumsluvslave said:
Really? More often than not the official word says 'Cancelled' when something has been cancelled. Not really seen many official statements that explicitly say 'Suspended'.

But it may well be that it is cancelled.
Just think it reeks of Lionhead moving the game to Xenon. Saying it's suspended in an official statement means people won't be asking for updates etc.

Not that I give two monkeys anyhow, the game was likely to be full of overbloated promises anyway :D

Every game I've ever seen that's been canned had it's work "suspended".

Mrbob

After the September NPD came out, BC got "suspended" so Lionhead can take extra workers and have them work on Fable 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Mrbob said:
After the September NPD came out, BC got "suspended" so Lionhead can take extra workers and have them work on Fable 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10.

h0ray! Belgurdo 0wned, fable4evah etc etc.

I never really saw the point of BC anyway.

Docpan

Obviously it sucked.

Molyneux didn't want to have to deal with even more dissapointment from fans who've been hyped up for years. (*coughFable*cough*)

Mrbob

Methinks B.C. got "suspended" the way True Fantasy Live! Online got "suspended" and moved onto Xenon (Note: Speculation on my part).

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
BC, like Fable, was announced much too early. The team didn't have an engine and no idea if all their promised features were doable or even fun. Like Fable, the concept was intriguing but the game didn't seem to go anywhere and it looked awful in videos (not graphically). Hardly surprising that they had to can it.

Redbeard

Banned
cybamerc said:
BC, like Fable, was announced much too early. The team didn't have an engine and no idea if all their promised features were doable or even fun. Like Fable, the concept was intriguing but the game didn't seem to go anywhere and it looked awful in videos (not graphically). Hardly surprising that they had to can it.

What's more likely is that, like Fable, they were making the game on dev kits with twice the memory and once it came time to squash it into realistic specs it couldn't be done.

Cimarron

OH!!! Damn shame i was looking forward to this game. When I read the topic title i thought "Why isn't this in the off topic forum?" I thought some crazy mid-westerner religous group was trying to ban teaching history about the years before Jesus was born. :p

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Redbeard:

> What's more likely is that, like Fable, they were making the game on dev kits with twice
> the memory and once it came time to squash it into realistic specs it couldn't be done

Doubt that was the problem. The game has been shown in playable form in the past. If they were in need of RAM they could just downgrade the graphics. It wouldn't be the first time (see: Fable and Halo 2). I'm sure the game just sucked.

Couldnt care less about games developed by Molyneux or people under him. Fable sucked and it looked like B.C. was just as ambitious and undesignable as Fable. Maybe this will teach Peter to keep his damn mouth shut before they have the game at least halfway built and most of the features in place.

+1 to game players everywhere not have to play anymore of his drivel.

Redbeard

Banned
cybamerc said:
Doubt that was the problem. The game has been shown in playable form in the past. If they were in need of RAM they could just downgrade the graphics. It wouldn't be the first time (see: Fable and Halo 2). I'm sure the game just sucked.

Yeah, but playable on normal Xboxes?

Fable didn't just take a graphical hit, the entire game was rebuilt (or so it seems). Take a look at the E3 2003 trailer for example, or any media pre-2004 and you'll see a drastically, if not completely different game.

Top Bottom