• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before Christ canned

M3wThr33

Banned
Haha. Good. I saw footage of it in that PBS documentary. The game looked like Turok Evolution.
I don't think he could handle another blow to his credibility. Now maybe he'll think twice before running his mouth off making himself the greatest self-proclaimed game designer. That position still belongs to Derek Smart.

unkasa

Banned
Razoric said:
Lionhead needs to get it's combat multiplier even higher.

rofl. I reached 160. Anyway, this looks to be another title temporarily buoyed by promises that Lionhead, yet again, could not see realized. Can't say I'm shocked.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
seems appropriate. BC was pretty poor looking (and apparently playing, even though i didn't touch the controller) last time i saw it in person.

COCKLES

being watched
Redbeard said:
Yeah, but playable on normal Xboxes?

Fable didn't just take a graphical hit, the entire game was rebuilt (or so it seems). Take a look at the E3 2003 trailer for example, or any media pre-2004 and you'll see a drastically, if not completely different game.

Got a link to an earlier Fable trailer. I gotta admit, I wasn't bothered about what I finally got with Fable, as it wasn't one of the games I was really tracking in previous E3s ect.

Redbeard

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/fable/media.html

Trailer 3 is the one from E32k3. Most of the scenes in that trailer show environments that aren't in the final game, and the few that you can recognize are altered. Like one shot shows a hero in the bandit outfit on a hill overlooking Bowerstone, there are no fences and you can see all the buildings inside the town. Compare that with the actual game where you're stuck on a path leading down the hill, and there's a loading point to go inside. Then there are other scenes that show trolls coming up from the ground or Balverines in open areas full of grass that aren't in the game, buildings that are nowhere to be found, etc... This was back when the game was supposed to have no load times at all (only one long one at the beginning), instead we got a game broken up into tiny pieces with loads everywhere.

Look at this screen index from 2003, and notice around page 6 you start to see the shots with the soft lighting, after that they never showed another picture with a large environment.

The only explanation I could think of is that somewhere post-E32k3 they simply started over with a new design, incorporated what they could from the old builds, and cobbled it together in a year.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Each time I read about some new aspect of this game I just kept thinking... there's no way they are gonna get all this in...

I have to say.. I am disappointed. Another of the titles I care about on xbox canned. :( BC looked great and I don't think we had a prehistoric title for awhile.

Facck

jedimike

Redbeard said:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/fable/media.html

Trailer 3 is the one from E32k3. Most of the scenes in that trailer show environments that aren't in the final game, and the few that you can recognize are altered. Like one shot shows a hero in the bandit outfit on a hill overlooking Bowerstone, there are no fences and you can see all the buildings inside the town. Compare that with the actual game where you're stuck on a path leading down the hill, and there's a loading point to go inside. Then there are other scenes that show trolls coming up from the ground or Balverines in open areas full of grass that aren't in the game, buildings that are nowhere to be found, etc... This was back when the game was supposed to have no load times at all (only one long one at the beginning), instead we got a game broken up into tiny pieces with loads everywhere.

Look at this screen index from 2003, and notice around page 6 you start to see the shots with the soft lighting, after that they never showed another picture with a large environment.

The only explanation I could think of is that somewhere post-E32k3 they simply started over with a new design, incorporated what they could from the old builds, and cobbled it together in a year.

Interesting... Fable was also one of the few (maybe the only) 2nd party games that survived the big MS chopping block after Fries left. They probably put down the clamps and told Lionhead to finish the project by said date or else it would get canned too.

Fable was just too ambitious and I'm sure BBB could have developed the game for years to come and still not be finished.

... I don't see that same scope of depth in BC, but XBN said the game was running at 98% of the Xbox's graphical limits. I hate to say it, but the Xbox probably just didn't have enough horsepower to do the game like Peter wanted it done.

I could definitely see this one getting revived for a next gen console.

miyuru

MetatronM said:
For some reason, the only response I have to this news is :lol. Don't know why.

Yeah I don't care since I don't own an Xbox, I just laughed when I read the thread title :lol

border

Can somebody tell me what was going to be so great about BC anyway?

Seriously. I haven't read anything much about it. All I saw was some awful caveman art design and some dinosaurs. Did it have another list of incredible-but-unworkable features?

Top Bottom