• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best cell phone carrier in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Discuss.

I'm with Telus now and my phone just broke. I'm looking at their phones and there's not one that I love. What are the other carriers like?

Bell - Not too sure about them.

Fido - Largest selection of phones afaik (mostly sony-ericsson), gms coverage. I've heard their coverage isn't that great outside the gta.

Rogers - I'm with them - don't like 'em... but they do have the largest coverage in Canada.

Telus - Not too sure about them.

I'd go with Fido or Rogers.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Is it true that in the US (and possibly Canada) you have to pay to receive text messages and not just to send them?

I heard that somewhere, but just find it such a ridiculous situation that it's hard to believe.

Probably true, since receiving calls counts as minutes just as much as calling somebody else. Hell, if you have a Telus camera phone, USB transfers are disabled, so the only way to move pics off the phone is to pay 25c per.

Fido is owned by Telus now, and the network is being phased out.

General rumbling in Alberta is that Telus CDMA >> Rogers TDMA, but Rogers definitely has the cooler phones right now - Telus is being a slow pain in the ass about letting in anything good.

BigJonsson said:
Fido has SHIT reception

Absolute garbage

Ain't true. Got crystal clear reception with my M55. The coverage where i live (montreal) is good exepect for some place that make me think to change carrier (MgHill mall, my school.)

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Mama Smurf said:
Is it true that in the US (and possibly Canada) you have to pay to receive text messages and not just to send them?

I heard that somewhere, but just find it such a ridiculous situation that it's hard to believe.

Yeah, it's true, the same for receiving phone calls. Not many things free here. It's 0.10$ per message.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Crazymoogle said:
Probably true, since receiving calls counts as minutes just as much as calling somebody else. Hell, if you have a Telus camera phone, USB transfers are disabled, so the only way to move pics off the phone is to pay 25c per.

Fido is owned by Telus now, and the network is being phased out.

General rumbling in Alberta is that Telus CDMA >> Rogers TDMA, but Rogers definitely has the cooler phones right now - Telus is being a slow pain in the ass about letting in anything good.

That's why I want to leave Telus, I haven't receive my $100 after a year, so they better not charge me for leaving. They're really gready. I really want the Sony T616 since I HATE antennas and the majortiy of Telus' phones have one.

explodet

I'm with Fido, and I've gripe about reception sometimes - BUT, no more than all my other friends who are with Telus and Rogers - don't know anyone with Bell, strangely enough.

I haven't heard any news about the Telus buyout of Microcell lately - I don't think the takeover has happened yet (although it is coming).

Draff

I'm not sure about service, but Fido has the best service. Telus, Rogers and Bell are all crap in comparison, especially Rogers.

Fido does have the worst coverage in terms of area. My GF and I took a road trip from Vancouver to Manitoba last summer. After leaving Abbotsford there was no coverage until Calgary. Between Calgary and our destination there was 1 spot in the middle of no where that suddenly gave me service. Throughout the trip I'd do random system selection checks and Rogers ALWAYS came up as an option.

Using my phone in the city is just fine. Works like a charm so I never have to complain about reception or anything unless I'm underground or in an elevator.

Fido is also the cheapest of the bunch. Their Long Distance rates are great and their packages are reasonably flexable and great value. One thing I can't stand about Fido though is that the Fido stores and Microcell itself seem to not be connected at all.

I'm looking at upgrading to a Seimens M55. What is this phone like? My GF just got the Ericsson T273 I think. It is a pretty cool little phone.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm in the process of getting a cellphone myself too, and so far I'm leaning heavily towards LG/Samsung +Rogers. Thus, Rogers wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom