• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Fast Food Burger and Fries

Best Fast Food Burger and Fries

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Burger and Fries. Feel free to replce fries wtih tater tots, onion rings etc.

For me nothing beats Whataburger. Great Burger, good fries (like McDoanlds but a touch soggier). Plus they have the bonus of having the best ketchup/spicy ketchup in the biz.

My runner Up.

Culver's

Worst

Sonic - most bland burger on the face of the earth. Average fries and descent tots but portions are tiny.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Shake Shack is better than all of those.

2nd to Shake Shack would be Whataburger or Five Guys.

Most overrated would be In N Out.

tenor.gif

This thread is over. SpiceRacz doesn't care if it dies.

AlarmedGrotesqueDromaeosaur-max-14mb.gif

BigBooper

Several of those aren't very fast so I'll pick McDonald's. Their burgers aren't the best, but the fries are good. If I have time to go to a Five Guys, I have time to go to a better restaurant for their house burger.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Five Guys is clearly the best burger and fries but it’s very much a step up from fast food (and costs like it). I would put their burger against and even above most casual dining chains and they can still compete against your fancy brewpub burgers.

Fudruckers and Smashburger are kinda there too in that “not really fast food” category but I’m not a big fan.

Steak and Shake is a borderline case but the prices and drive thru make a case for “fast food” even though the whole dining experience is closer to Denny’s than McDonalds.

My Fast Food Top 5 in no order:

Braums - best bacon cheeseburger and I love those crinkle fries

White Castle - when you want delicious low brow burgers plus crinkle fries

Culvers - very high quality food across the board. They have crinkle fries but they aren’t cooked as tasty as Braums and White Castle for whatever reason. Cheese curds are the superior side anyway.

McDonalds - 2 cheeseburger combo is legendary

Whataburger - their meat is a bit dry so cheese is a prerequisite but their double cheeseburger is very very good. Mediocre fries though.

I struggled with my fifth choice because Wendy’s and In-N-Out are right there with Whataburger. But I’m not a fan of the kinda dry bun Wendy’s uses or their lack of diced onions. In-N-Out has a good burger but their fries are so mediocre and frankly it’s incredibly overrated due to scarcity of stores. Braums is just as uncommon for very similar logistic reasons and I’d go to Braums 10 times out of 10 over In-N-Out.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Five guys best burger.
Fries
Burger King or McDonald’s five guys is great to. But the king or the clown just

hnnnnngg

aroused GIF

in and out burger can whistle last time I went their we got cold burgers and stale fries. West coast just keep that ish.

Carl’s jr and Jack in the box you two are alright

But gotta rep Europe
GBK and quick where you at.
Also some local pubs in London do amazing burgers so what ever.

The real answer is what ever you enjoy.
so enjoy your burgers.
Meat/impossible/vegan.
if you like if then more power to you.
I Like You Aww GIF

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Wendy’s or a burger on the grill at home. Burger King with a good manager and staff is awesome but they are stunningly inconsistent. Everyone saying 5 guys... You disappoint me lol, that’s like an average home burger basically.

Last edited:
In and Out has the best burger but their fries are so horrible, it takes them down a peg or two. McDonalds is the opposite, amazing fries but lackluster burgers.

Whataburger has great burgers and great fries and they have the amazing spicy ketchup. Braums is an underrated second. Very good burgers and great fries.

BK fries are just ok. No one in my circle enjoys BK but I love their burgers.

Sonic sucks unless you want a drink or some chili cheese tots.

Five Guys is good but it’s so pricy, it’s not comparable to fast food imho.

Jack in the Box is above average but quality varies mightily by location.

Never tried Culver’s but I hear great things. Did check out a Checkers in Florida, it was solid.

Also never been to a White Castle. There was a place here called Krystals that is supposedly a WC knockoff or something. No one liked it, I thought it was ok. It closed and turned into a Carl’s Jr., home of the Extra Big-Ass Taco. Again, I thought it was ok. No one liked it, it’s now a bank.

I voted Whataburger.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I’d rather make my own burger at home. Burgers from nice restaurants that are great fresh even really suck after being stuck in a sweaty takeout container.

That said for me In N Out fresh is delicious but you have to eat it quick in the car ESPECIALLY the fries or reheat in the over or air fryer immediately when you get home for it to really shine.

Generally even McDonald’s and Five Guys Fries may last longer without searing heat but they still kind of suck after you’ve spent 10 minutes driving home.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
In n Out burgers are amazing. But since you specified fries they can't win. Their Fries are good but an acquired taste and no where near the best

Sonic sucks unless you want a drink or some chili cheese tots.

The pretzel twists and mozzarella sticks are not bad. Drinks are only good if you add in flavor, otherwise it taste water down. It is the best ice. How people drink cokes at places like McDonalds are beyond me. Thick ice is for heathens.

Last edited:
In n Out burgers are amazing. But since you specified fries they can't win. Their Fries are good but an acquired taste and no where near the best

Most polls are for the burgers only. Reality is that most people are going to get fries or tots, etc with their order. I live in a small town with only a Sonic, McDoanlds and a new Wendy's. So I get my burgers at Wendy's, drive a few blocks if I am getting a drink at Sonic and going across the street to McD to get fries last. Two Hour Drive to get Whataburger. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Most polls are for the burgers only. Reality is that most people are going to get fries or tots, etc with their order. I live in a small town with only a Sonic, McDoanlds and a new Wendy's. So I get my burgers at Wendy's, drive a few blocks if I am getting a drink at Sonic and going across the street to McD to get fries last. Two Hour Drive to get Whataburger. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Wendy's burgers are good for sure but I always get the spicy crispy chicken

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Whataburger, but they gotta stop chopping up the onions, just slice that shit man.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I picked the one that would evolve into this:
Eha2VE3UYAA2tnb.jpg

0YP5bne.jpg

Mike's Burgers are fucking awesome and shit all over everything in the poll list. This is a double bacon avocado cheese burger, flame broiled in front of my face. It's thick as fuck and I've hurt my jaw trying to bite down on one of these.
Gotta smash it down first.

Last edited:
In-N-Out was the king but after trying Culver's it's my new fav, plus their fries are fucking delicious unlike In-N-Out's which are dry and bland. Five Guys is overpriced garbage, I hate that place. Red Robins is also really good and shack shake is bomb but a bit pricey.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Wendy’s or a burger on the grill at home. Burger King with a good manager and staff is awesome but they are stunningly inconsistent. Everyone saying 5 guys... You disappoint me lol, that’s like an average home burger basically.
Burger King I can understand, but Wendy's is like the average home cooked burger if you shape it square and remove all spice and flavor.

dave_d

When it was still around Flamers was my favorite. These days I'm pretty much a Mooyah guy. Oh and 5 guys sucks.(Would you cook the damn fries?)

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
In-N-Out was the king but after trying Culver's it's my new fav, plus their fries are fucking delicious unlike In-N-Out's which are dry and bland. Five Guys is overpriced garbage, I hate that place.
I tried Five Guys, for the first time, back in January 2020. Shit was weak and the price was high. I get more and BETTER at my preference. In-N-Out is where I go if my place is too packed, but then again, In-N-Out can be packed as well. So sometimes I get left with my dick in my hand and end up grabbing some crunchy tacos at my secret spot.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont feel its fair to even compare a $5 Mcdonalds quarter pounder with a $10 five guys burger. even Shake Shack is charging so like $8 for their double cheeseburgers now. I have no idea why these burgers are so expensive. Especially when in and out is still doing $3.50 double cheeseburgers in LA.

I would say Culvers is still somewhat reasonable at $5.50. It tastes better than McDonalds, BK and Wendys. But it's just too big. Burgers need to be tiny like the In N Out and Fast Guys burgers. Culver's patties are too big.

1) In N Out - I like their fries. and a $5 combo sure as hell beats out a $15 combo at Five Guys. For some reason their small fries are $3.90 now.
2) Five Guys
3) Shake Shack

Cheaper Fast Food
1) Culvers
2) McDonalds
3) Wendys

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In N Out is the best of the low quality fast food burgers.

It's in an entirely different (lower) division compared to Five Guys and Shake Shack.

A $2 dollar burger simply can't compete with an $8 dollar burger.

for the price a double cheeseburger from mcdonalds or bk is some good shit

white castle has a charming trashy quality to it

five guys when i tried it tasted way too basic for paying like 20+ for a meal

Agreed 100%. Tried Five Guys a couple years ago and ended up paying like $16 for a burger, fries and a drink. Hella overrated.

White Castle is good too but their fries are cheeks. Love those little sliders though. BK is decent but I'm not a fan of their prices, waaay to high but definitely not as ridiculous as Five Guys.

TheContact

i voted 5 guys bc i'm on the east coast and it's the only decent burger chain. i've never tried white castle or in-and-out

johntown

Banned
No question for me Shake Shack. Their burgers are awesome! 5 Guys would be 2nd place for me. I'm on the East Coast too so some of the other ones I have never had.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You Yanks have way too many awesome burger places! Always wanted to try Sonic and Jack in the Box.

Five Guys is good. A combo is like $15 cdn. But awesome double patties and tons of home cut fries. A small bag can feed a family.

Last edited:

Amory

I live in New England so we don't have a lot of the fancy regional fast food chains

I know it's not the 'best' in terms of quality, but I do love Burger King. Whoppers are so good.

Dark Star

Shake Shack has the best burger. The fries are average. It had my vote, though. #1

McDonald’s got the best fries. Quarter Pounder smacks, but it’s a low quality burger.

Five Guys has a great burger and an awesome quantity of fries that can’t be beat. The Cajun seasoning is good too. Biggest complaint is the price, but otherwise it’s #2

In-N-Out also a delicious burger, but the fries suck. Even animal style or whatever sauce can’t save them.

Whataburger has some tasty burgers but even as a Texan I have to agree that they’re a little overrated. Patty Melt FTW. The fries are alright, decent.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
We only really have McD, BK and wimpy....

So BK I guess

How the fuck is a Burger place gonna be called "Wimpy" and not come out on top of the heap?
Shit is baffling and disappointing to hear that BK is better than Wimpy. SMGDH. I hate Burger king, they reduced their menu and it's so boring.
I know In-N-Out has a basic bitch menu, too, but they come correct with the condensed but heavy burgers that drip juice and appeal to the authority of my hunger.

Top Bottom