• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best In-Game Music?

miyuru

Just like SSX Tricky, I'm totally digging SSX3's music, for sure in part due to the game splitting the tracks into separate layers and piling them on as you get better, which has always been one of SSX's trademarks (bla bla bla it's in other games too). But even then, the soundtrack is awesome. I don't even listen to this kind of music, but it fits the game so well. I'm digging that Caesars track especially while playing ("Jerk It Out"), though listening to it when I'm not playing isn't as special :p

This is like transporting a post I've made elsewhere, but...

GITAROO MAN
GITAROO MAN
GITAROO MAN
GITAROO MAN

So much good music...

lexy

In-game music? Don't you just mean game music?

Either way, my answer would be Elemental Gearbolt or REZ.

Any 16-bit game with Yuzo Koshiro's awesome work in it (Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage 1 & 2, Beyond Oasis, Actraiser 1 & 2, Super Adventure Island 1...)

AniHawk

Besides all the basic themes from classic games, I'd say Abyss of the Farplane from FFX-2 is nice to listen to.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, Shenmue has a rather weak soundtrack "in game". Just a lot of poor quality MIDI-ish tunes...

The actual soundtracks (even the actual game soundtrack) are so much better, though. Shenmue 2's music is much better than the original while in game, though.

dark10x

Prospero said:
Any music in Freedom Fighters.

Actually, that's one soundtrack that really DOES work best "in game". The actual soundtrack can become a bit dull due to lengthy tracks that take a while to get anywhere. In game, however, it works beautifully and really sets the tone of each area.

Koshiro

nights.jpg

belgurdo

Banned
Motoi Sakuraba's music is pretty much the only reason I kept both Golden Suns for longer than a day (didn't stop me from getting rid of them after a month though)

Andy787

Banned
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Jet Grind Radio
Metroid Prime
Vice City
Super Mario Sunshine
Pikmin
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
Metal Gear Solid 2
Halo
Freedom Fighters
F-Zero GX
Wave Race Blue Storm

miyuru said:
Just like SSX Tricky, I'm totally digging SSX3's music
I haven't played SSX3, but man, SSX Tricky has some of the worst in-game music ever, imo.

Uh... JSRF ?

You couldn't play that game on mute if you tried.

Also, Bloodrayne had some good tracks. No seriously. Seriously, man. Fine then, go to hell.

dark10x

loxy said:
In-game music? Don't you just mean game music?

Either way, my answer would be Elemental Gearbolt or REZ.

Awesome choice there! I'm shocked that someone else even thought of Elemental Gearbolt. The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, especially when you consider that it is simply a lightgun shooter...

Moving onward with more obscure music...

That also brings to mind Soukaigi's original soundtrack. The game itself simply wasn't very good, but the music was so incredibly original and inspiring that it made you want to play. The entire soundtrack was recorded with real instruments and I believe it was composed by Hiroki Kikuta of Seiken Densetsu 2 & 3 fame (though Soukaigi destroys them both).

Then you have Baroque for Sega Saturn. I believe it was developed by STING, who handled Treasure Hunter G and (shudder) Evolution 1 and 2. The game was quite dark and atmospheric, but it was the music that really set the stage. Beautifully haunting tunes that almost come off as a combination of Final Fantasy Tactics combined with Silent Hill. This soundtrack was created and composed by Masaharu Iwata.

On a COMPLETELY different note, how could one forget the crazy catchy tunes of Crusader No Remorse? They were tracked MOD files, I believe, but damn did they fit the action. The very first mission takes quite some time to complete, yet that opening song never grows old. :p

Perhaps even stranger; Crimson Sea (Kurenai no Umi). Having just grabbed this for $4.99 and also having found a soundtrack rip recently, I was absolutely stunned to discover how good the music is. Tons of variety and lots of high points throughout.

Drag-On Dragoon (Drakengard) is another one that stands out simply because it is so incredibly strange. I know that many people did not care for this music at all, but I found that it scored the action in a very unique way.

I'll have to think of some more....

Secret of Mana - The theme, village tune, final boss tune and creepy music are all class.
Final Fantasy 6 - Overworld theme
Streetfighter 2 Turbo - Track 31 from options menu (and when you finish mode 7)
Halo - The big ass piece that plays on the title screen and at various points throughout
Jumping Flash - Level 3/4
GTA: Vice City - Loads of different styles
MGS 2 - Nice movie like feel
Metroid Prime

Pang

Neo Member
Actraiser - An exquisitely beautiful score done by Yuzo Koshiro.
Saga Frontier 2 - Lovely sounding game music.
Castlevania Dracula X - Castlevania music at Its best, IMO.

Rez
JSR
JSRF
NiGHTSA
Panzer Dragoon Series
Radiant Silvergun
Tekken 3
R4
Metroid
Mega Man 3
Gunstar Heroes
Sonic CD
Thunder Force 4

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Rez
Guitarooman
Katamari Damacy
Yoshis Island
Slime Mori Mori
Monty on the Run
Sanxion
PN03
UFO Aftermath

The music in Gradius 5 seems pretty funky actually.

radcliff

MegaMan
Super Mario Bros. 2
Castlevania II
The Legend of Zelda: ALTTP
Actraiser
Castlevania IV
Final Fantasy II
Street Fighter II
Final Fantasy III
Sonic the Hedgehog
Streets of Rage