• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best moves by Nintendo this generation?

Dyne

I often wonder how Geist will turn out. I think it might have been a good decision, but.. you never know.

AniHawk

Dyne said:
I often wonder how Geist will turn out. I think it might have been a good decision, but.. you never know.

It would be really funny if it turns out to be one of the best FPSers of this gen (like how Metroid Prime came out of nowhere with such high praise), but I really doubt it- unless the delay has made everyone work twice as hard to improve the graphics and perfect gameplay and level design.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
when geist comes out and is irredeemably awful, we can call it "scheisse." it'll be great. in fact i suggest that we start now.

Chrono

Banned
shuri said:
More Mature? It's only a graphical style. I doubt that Link will engage in decapitations and innoncent villagers skilling. I dont think the end fmv will show Zelda deep throating Link. It will still be the usual zelda gameplay

You really have a problem if you think those things are what make a game "mature."

Don't forget you don't have to buy this game... so you don't have to hide it when family comes over. ;) :p

Greekboy

Banned
1. Giving me Virtua Striker on their console.
2. Having the balls to make a cel-shaded Zelda even though I found it too easy, too short and a tad overrated.
3. Getting rid of the overrated and underproductive Rare.
4. Metroid Prime...this project was going nowhere until Miyamoto et al went in and righted the ship.
5. Finally realizing that a more "mature" approach was needed without comprising their own ideals and vision.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
element said:
Nintendo really didn't get Retro cheap after all investments. The original Nintendo investment is speculated to be over $20m or more, while the 'buyout' clause was only for the outstanding shares from Jeff Spangenberg, which was around $1m.
Aww, don't be bitter oxy. We all remember your Metroid Canned Jpeg

Best moves:
1. Getting capcom, namco, square to at least do a few things for them. Resident Evil, Viewtiful Joe, and Tales of Symphonia were incredible additions to the library. Twin Snakes was a nice try, and some actual Konami action would help. F Zero GX was cool. The sonic games don't exactly replace Rare platformers, though.

2. Reviving Metroid. I suppose Retro should be mentioned here. But as well the GBA Metroid games should be mentioned. These have rendered my gaming craving satiated which is to say, more please.

3. Not using carts, one generatoion later and after you've more or less destroyed your console business. Smooth move shiggy.

4.GBA SP- I liked this loads better than the original GBA and it has caused my purchase of more GBA games than I otherwise would.

5. ????

Bad moves:
1. Poorly timing release of big franchises, this includes no Mario at launch and having the 'big three' all come out mere months apart leaving the next winter rather barren of 'big three' action.

2. Making a console which has a purse handle and phonetically ncontains the word 'gay' as in 'gaymecube'. Obviosuly they know what we want without having to attempt getting a clue.

3. Altogether missing the boat on RPG gaming and Grand theft Auto.

4. In liu of mass 3rd party support providing little alternative, or no alternative, for people who want RPGs, hardcore action, gritty and dark games etc.

5. Selling Rare rather than having them make a 'Halo Killer' FPS and a few more platformers to put Sony's platformers to shame.

6. Bad vibes and ideas regarding online. A lot of western developers are skipping the cube all together this year simply because they dislike Nintendo's online, or lack of. Consumers tend to see this as meaning less value, for the console experience, and for many games esp. one like Pandora Tomorrow. This has also garnered so much negative ink in the gaming AND mainstream media that Nintendo hasn't been able to get the positive feedback from the media necessary to be a success which alone would arrant at the least a little gesture or two for those who want online.

7. Jerking around Silicon Knghts. I would have liked to see more of what they can do, as cube exclusive content published by Nintendo.

8. Geist??? Now I defended Prime when others were so negative because that actually looked pretty good. This one does not look good. I can't beleive they chose THIS over Rare and SK. I hope it works out.

9. Letting old people with bad hircuts and really dated ideas run the company into teh groundz.

10. We know what gamers want. They want easy games with simple controls that are shorter and look like N64 games with an extra coat of paint, with no cinematics, no voice acting, and no online! These games should be childrens games and very bright. Oh yes, lets cut back on the mushroom power ups and action. Kids don't need that stuff. And, graphics don't matter.

Top Bottom