• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best net resource to learn about present PC hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightyF

Banned
This may tie into other threads, where people want to build new PCs.

I've built PCs for many years, but stopped in '99. Since then I haven't been keeping up, and I don't know what's going on as far as CPUs go, MBs...and that kind of stuff. Obviously...PC technology can change a whole bunch over 5 years!

I found an interesting site that goes over CPU history, but it ends at Summer of 2001.
http://www.pcmech.com/show/processors/35/1

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Diablos

Everything's the same dude, I'd say the only difference is learning how to install a current Intel or AMD processor.

Protip: For a easy CPU installation go with Intel. For a stressful, "oh my god am I going to crack the CPU by applying a million pounds of force to the mounting bracket" installation, buy an AMD. :D

Mason

Diablos said:
Everything's the same dude, I'd say the only difference is learning how to install a current Intel or AMD processor.

Protip: For a easy CPU installation go with Intel. For a stressful, "oh my god am I going to crack the CPU by applying a million pounds of force to the mounting bracket" installation, buy an AMD. :D

Man, that did scare the shit out of me. After about 20 minutes, though, I was like, "Fuck it, this thing is going ON no matter what it takes."

Diablos

AMD was really dumb in their approach to making the Athlon XP heatsink. It should have just kind of clipped in like Intel chips currently do...

FightyF

Banned
Heheh, you guys are discussing the very things I'd like to know!

I'm assuming that there is no easy to read digest on the matter, I'll prepare to start doing a lot of searching and reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom