• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best of the Romero Zombie quadrilogy

cryptoadam

Banned
So where does everyone stand on Romero's zombie quadrilogy?

We have his first movie Night of the Living Dead, followed by Dawn of the Dead, then Day of the Dead, and finally Land of the Dead.

Lets get it out of the way Land of the Dead is his weakest. Its not bad, but compared to the other 3 it pales, and I would basically say its a "decent" flick. Above Asylum quality level but not some amazing piece of cinema. Good for a pre-Walking Dead world but played out if was released today.

Dawn is his most iconic movie. Its story and setting are iconic and basically set up most of the Zombie tropes we know today. The 4 main characters are a ton of fun and you really enjoy getting to know these people. Ken Foree is great in this and so is David Emge. The idea of holding up in a mall during the Zombie apocolypse really resonated with a lot of people and if there really was Zombie being locked in a mall wouldn't be a bad idea. The ending gets a bit silly and the aborotion sub plot wasn't really needed. Its clearly a classic.

Night to me is the pure horror movie. Being an independant film and seeing what it went on to do it also has a place in cinematic history. The story is basic but has laid out the foundation for pretty much any surivor horror film. People thrust together hiding to survive and the real danger is the conflict between the group and not so much the monster outside. We can talk about having a black lead, or its gore, but the movie broke ground. Its not the best of the 4 but its the most historic and impactful IMO. Still a classic horror film that should be watched.

Day was kinda like the ugly step child, but to me has become Romero's masterpiece. Its not as historic as night, its not as iconic or fun as day (no mall) but it in the end tops both of them. For many years thought it was looked down on, but I think people are coming around to it. It has the best gore/FX of all the movies and Rhodes is probably the best and most quoatable character( A mouth full of greek salad!). I can't stress the fx enough as they are really gross, scary and disturbing. Its weak in its production values, I mean ok your in a salt mine but its like they didn't even try to fix it up or anything. And the characters are really over the top especially the 2 annoying army men. And George tried to shoe horn his whole Army bad Sceintist good in there, but he was really not subtle about it.

So my favourite was always Dawn, but his best is Day, and the most historic is Night. Land was the sequel that no one wanted but thought they did.

BTW, because of copyright issues Romero did not own the phrase "living dead", thats why the rest of the movies dropped the "living" part. and thats also why we had Return of the Living Dead. It is not associated with Romero's films but because it was based of a story from the original writer of Night they were able to use the Living part. And BTW Return is also a great Zombie movie and is where we got the notion that Zombies eat brains from.

brap

Banned
Dawn. Never saw anything after Day and don't plan to. Also Day is like 2 hours of people just yelling at each other.

Dawn is the most well rounded of the movies, but Day has by far the best zombie effects, I wish Dawn's were a little better.

I actually prefer the 1990 remake to the original Night of The Living Dead to be honest, if you haven't seen that remake it's way underrated.

And I've always thought Land of The Dead was underrated, it's got some flaws, like some CGI blood here and there and it's weird to see recognizable Hollywood actors in one of these movies, but it's pretty good, has an interesting setting and interesting ideas (like the zombies gradually becoming smarter)

However I never bothered with his final two movies, Diary and Survival, as I heard those weren't very good.

As a kid I liked Dawn the best. Great characters, setting, concept and mega gore. Still very entertaining to this day.

These days I like Night the best. I prefer the simplicity of the story/situation and it has a certain edge to many parts that were lost in the remake(Not to disparage the remake as it's a fun watch and worth checking out). There is some clumsy stuff but the only part I truly dislike is Barbara's partially nonsensical speech when she's trying to recount the events. That part is a total skiiip. Also a rare (and possibly only) case where the ending credits are the creepiest part of the movie.

I've always enjoyed Day and am happy is found it's audience over the years. The acting is sort of the movies best and worst aspect. So many of the cast play their characters over the top or very cartoon-y that it threatens to turn the movie into a farce. Of course there's also a certain appeal to it. I mean "Frankenstein" and Rhodes are cartoon characters but they're also memorable and extremely entertaining. It straddles the line of absurdity and crosses it a couple times but overall I think it succeeds. Also I've always hated the concept of teaching zombies or "good guy" zombies, yet in Day they pulled it off with Bub, so points for that.

Land...well...Dennis Hopper had a few funny lines.

Holgren

I like Night of the Living Dead the best. The low budget made it focus more on the dynamics of the group and I just like the premise of normal people being stuck in a small house doing their best to survive. Zombies have never been more menacing than in this one.

cryptoadam

Banned
Forgot to add Dawn has the best soundtrack, Goblin killed it.

Dawn isn't really a horror movie, its more of an action/adventure movie with some dark tones.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Using this thread to point out that George Romero did a Japanese commercial for Resident Evil 2 in 1998:

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
Day
Night
Dawn
Land

I appreciate Dawn's place in history but the comic book color palette has always bugged me and it drags a lot, especially in the middle. I prefer Argento's Euro cut because it trims a lot of fat and has better pacing.

Day has the best zombies and effects, which offsets some questionable acting.

pramod

Banned
To me Dawn is almost a bit too lighthearted, being set in a shopping mall.

I loved the atmosphere of claustrophobic despair in Day so thats my pick.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

I think Night of the Living Dead is the best and stands the test of time.

Dawn of the Dead was hamfisted political commentary and yet actually missed the target, I think, because shopping malls were more than just consumerism, they were about community. People didn't just go to the shopping mall to shop; they did because of the people. What we have today with Amazon (and a few others) is pure unbridled consumerism that he was trying to warn about, without any of the socialness - even the workers at Amazon are basically in prisons, whereas people in shopping malls were basically kids from the community

Airola

Why not include the rest of the series in discussion?
Sure, they most certainly will be the last two in everyone's list, but would be interesting to talk about them too.

My list:
1. Day of the Dead
2. Dawn of the Dead
3. Night of the Living Dead
4. Land of the Dead
5. Survival of the Dead
6. Diary of the Dead

The positions of the first three change depening on my mood, but this is my order today.

Day of the Dead has by far the best zombies. They are still - along with Michael Jackson's Thriller - the best and creepiest looking zombies in any movie out there.

What comes to the movies after Land of the Dead, both Diary and Survival are clearly worse than Land. But Diary also is clearly the worst of the bunch. It was really tough for me to even finish. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen too. I anticipated Survival being even worse than that, but luckily it was at least slightly better.

Airola

I thought the Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty awesome.

It has one of the best first 10 minutes in any horror movie ever.
Sadly it's not that good for the rest of the movie but it's still pretty good. And definitely better than Land and Diary and Survival of the Dead combined.

What comes to the movies after Land of the Dead, both Diary and Survival are clearly worse than Land. But Diary also is clearly the worst of the bunch. It was really tough for me to even finish. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen too. I anticipated Survival being even worse than that, but luckily it was at least slightly better.

Diary is that bad, huh? That's disappointing.

It has one of the best first 10 minutes in any horror movie ever.
Sadly it's not that good for the rest of the movie but it's still pretty good. And definitely better than Land and Diary and Survival of the Dead combined.

Oh yeah, the whole opening part of the Dawn remake is one of the best "end of the world" depictions ever.

I always loved how creepily abrupt is starts, Sarah Polley's character just wakes up on a seemingly normal morning before out of the blue the world changes forever, it's not hard to guess what they were referencing with that.

I would love to see the version of Day of the Dead, if Romero got the bigger budget he wanted.

Yes, have you read that original script?

I read it once over a decade ago, it's really good, like the later Land it was about a whole society of survivors instead of just a small group and an entire army of domesticated zombies instead of just Bub.

Plus it featured a more definitive ending for the Living Dead series as a whole that was really interesting.

I also really loved the villain, the fat governor of Florida, overseeing his missile silo community like some King or Roman Emperor and making women use exercise equipment in the nude for his entertainment while he feasts on food.

Then at the end he tries to hide from the zombie uprising in a tanning bed, but his fat limbs are poking out, perfect for munching on! :messenger_smiling_horns:

I like the Day of The Dead we got a lot, but it definitely would have been interesting to see that original version.

Airola

Diary is that bad, huh? That's disappointing.

It's filled with bad dialogue and amazingly corny "social commentary" that, if anything, just solidifies the theories that Romero didn't really think that much of these social issues when making Night, Dawn and Day but became more conscious about it after critics started praise him for it. I mean, ok, maybe Romero was conscious about it from the get go, but in Diary the whole thing feels like it was done someone who wants to imitate Romero's social commentary and does horrible job at it. Romero feels like an imitator of himself in Diary. The acting and writing is also really amateurish. Some people think Diary is better than Survival so it's possible you'll like it more than I did, but really, I love "found footage" movies and zombie movies but couldn't stand this one. I actually think Day of the Dead 2: Contagium is more fun to watch than Diary was, and that actually was a horrible amateur film through the whole thing done by people who just abused their right to use the title.

However, I think I would rewatch Diary of the Dead more gladly than I would rewatch the 2008 remake of Day of the Dead, which just was plainly dull movie with only one interesting moment in the whole movie (the part where the dead jump through the windows).

Oh yeah, the whole opening part of the Dawn remake is one of the best "end of the world" depictions ever.

I always loved how creepily abrupt is starts, Sarah Polley's character just wakes up on a seemingly normal morning before out of the blue the world changes forever, it's not hard to guess what they were referencing with that.

Yeah, and while we can debate on whether running zombies are good or not, that opening made the best use of that concept I haven't seen it done better anywhere after that. The best moment is when the guy is chasing Polley driving the car, running super fast and keeping up with Polley, the moment he sees another person closer he just changes his direction without hesitation. The director understood the core of the idea of running hyperaggressive zombies amazingly well in that small moment. Not only these zombies use their full mobility to almost even outrun a car but they'll relentlessy go immediately towards whoever is closest and easiest to kill. And that's how it is everywhere from that point on. I still overlook Snyder's later movie missteps and forgive him because of the perfection he was able to do with the Dawn remake :D

It's filled with bad dialogue and amazingly corny "social commentary" that, if anything, just solidifies the theories that Romero didn't really think that much of these social issues when making Night, Dawn and Day but became more conscious about it after critics started praise him for it. I mean, ok, maybe Romero was conscious about it from the get go, but in Diary the whole thing feels like it was done someone who wants to imitate Romero's social commentary and does horrible job at it. Romero feels like an imitator of himself in Diary. The acting and writing is also really amateurish. Some people think Diary is better than Survival so it's possible you'll like it more than I did, but really, I love "found footage" movies and zombie movies but couldn't stand this one. I actually think Day of the Dead 2: Contagium is more fun to watch than Diary was, and that actually was a horrible amateur film through the whole thing done by people who just abused their right to use the title.

However, I think I would rewatch Diary of the Dead more gladly than I would rewatch the 2008 remake of Day of the Dead, which just was plainly dull movie with only one interesting moment in the whole movie (the part where the dead jump through the windows).

Yeah, and while we can debate on whether running zombies are good or not, that opening made the best use of that concept I haven't seen it done better anywhere after that. The best moment is when the guy is chasing Polley driving the car, running super fast and keeping up with Polley, the moment he sees another person closer he just changes his direction without hesitation. The director understood the core of the idea of running hyperaggressive zombies amazingly well in that small moment. Not only these zombies use their full mobility to almost even outrun a car but they'll relentlessy go immediately towards whoever is closest and easiest to kill. And that's how it is everywhere from that point on. I still overlook Snyder's later movie missteps and forgive him because of the perfection he was able to do with the Dawn remake :D

I never had a problem with running zombies, like like vampires or werewolves or any monster anyone can put their own spin on it and do many, many different versions, anyone who insists zombies have to only be one strict thing is wrong.

Plus I liked the fast that they were a blend of the new 28 Days Later style running zombies but still technically living corpses and not just virus infected people, it was a blend of the old and the new.

VulcanRaven

It is hard to choose between the first 3. All of them are great. Night of the Living Dead is the best.

Last edited:
latest

This man solidifies Day as being the best.

thequestion

Day has awesome gore effects and without them, the movie would be even less popular than it is now. The characters and fluctuating acting talent make this film rough to watch.... but dem gore effects... so good.

Dawn original is best followed by dawn remake. They are the most fun to rewatch over and over. It’s a freaking shame the original Dawn hasn’t got a proper blu Ray release, as its a glaring omission in my personal collection.

cr0w

Old Member
Why not include the rest of the series in discussion?
Sure, they most certainly will be the last two in everyone's list, but would be interesting to talk about them too.

My list:
1. Day of the Dead
2. Dawn of the Dead
3. Night of the Living Dead
4. Land of the Dead
5. Survival of the Dead
6. Diary of the Dead

The positions of the first three change depening on my mood, but this is my order today.

Day of the Dead has by far the best zombies. They are still - along with Michael Jackson's Thriller - the best and creepiest looking zombies in any movie out there.

Are you familiar with Fulci's Zombi? That one is my personal pick for best/creepiest zombies in any film.

cryptoadam

Banned
Land was entertaining. Don't understand the hate it receives.

It was fun, but it wasn't a horror movie. It was an action movie. Also the social commentary was just over the top. We get it rich is bad, and Geroge Bush is the new Hitler, how about you be a bit more subtle there George.

When you have Shaun, Dawn Remake, and 28 days later, Land just isn't up to snuff. Its still a fun movie, but its a popcorn flick you forget 10 minutes after you see it.

Airola

I never had a problem with running zombies, like like vampires or werewolves or any monster anyone can put their own spin on it and do many, many different versions, anyone who insists zombies have to only be one strict thing is wrong.

Plus I liked the fast that they were a blend of the new 28 Days Later style running zombies but still technically living corpses and not just virus infected people, it was a blend of the old and the new.

Yeah, while I prefer walking zombies I've never had a real issue with running ones. They are a different type of threat and there's a ton of tense scenes horror movies can use them for. When Romero himself criticized running zombies by saying "the are dead, their ankles would snap if they'd try to run" I pretty much rolled my eyes. Like, dude, these are dead people who are now alive again. As if they have to have 100% realistic attributes added to them when the whole premise is as unnatural as it can be (and hell, he says their ankles would snap, yet his zombies have fingers that are so strong they can rip living people's flesh apart - shouldn't their fingers break too?).

Now that said, I don't quite like the type of zombies that run around and grin and growl like rabid dog demons (well, the 28 Days Later thing works because they are actual rabid people they are dealing with). I don't like when zombies look ANGRY. They shouldn't have emotions. They should be dead who are alive. That's why I love the zombies in Lucio Fulci's movies. Those things really look like they are dead people. I have to admit though that even though I love the Day of the Dead zombies, and zombies in Romero's first three movies in general, they too sometimes fall into that "angry dog" category. Which by the way reminds me that while Romero has criticized running zombies, he sure as hell has included some pretty damn agile zombies in his films too. I swear some zombies in Day of the Dead take some running steps too.

In any case, running zombies have been around for a long time. Nightmare City has running zombies (well, technically they aren't zombies either) and Return of the Living Dead's zombies run too.

Airola

Are you familiar with Fulci's Zombi? That one is my personal pick for best/creepiest zombies in any film.

Yeah, those zombies are fantastic. They really look and feel like DEAD people. Dead corpses walking. And that sight in itself is a great image for horror. In my opinion, zombie movies should have zombies where the mere thought of a dead corpse walking again is enough for setting the horror tension. I accept different kinds of zombies and enjoy watching them but there is something unbelievably haunting in Fulci's zombies (I love the zombies during the end part of The Beyond too).

VulcanRaven

Dawn original is best followed by dawn remake. They are the most fun to rewatch over and over. It’s a freaking shame the original Dawn hasn’t got a proper blu Ray release, as its a glaring omission in my personal collection.
I bought the italian blu-ray release that includes all the versions last year. Great release but they did the best restoration work on the italian version. Others don't look as good. It looks like the movie is getting an UK release soon:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16016468&postcount=2463

Last edited:
It was fun, but it wasn't a horror movie. It was an action movie. Also the social commentary was just over the top. We get it rich is bad, and Geroge Bush is the new Hitler, how about you be a bit more subtle there George.

When you have Shaun, Dawn Remake, and 28 days later, Land just isn't up to snuff. Its still a fun movie, but its a popcorn flick you forget 10 minutes after you see it.

Yeah the commentary/metaphors in Land were a little too “in your face” imo.

At one point doesn’t the main bad dude literally say “we don’t negotiate with terrorists” or something like that?

cryptoadam

Banned

At one point doesn’t the main bad dude literally say “we don’t negotiate with terrorists” or something like that?

Yup, its when Luigi Mario is threatening Hopper that he is going to fire a missile.

BTW I don't mean our Luigi, I mean John Leguzamo (SP??). Leguzamo, Hopper? I wonder if Land was actually that sequel to the Super Mario Bros movie we were promised but never got?

Its funny to look back at media and movies back then to see how much Bush=Hitler there was. The Prequels are essentially Lucases Fuck you to George Bush.

I hope this doesn't make me too big of a hypocrite but I didn't mind Bush era blunt political commentary, prior to the 2000s you almost never saw media that had political commentary that blatant and at the time it always felt pretty fresh and edgy.

Of course today it's stale and obnoxious, but this could also be because I like Trump way more than I liked Bush.

So the political stuff in Land didn't bother me, same with other movies from around that time like V For Vendetta.

And come on, you gotta admit the idea of rich people still living large in the middle of the literal zombie apocalypse is pretty scathingly funny.

cr0w

Old Member
Yeah, those zombies are fantastic. They really look and feel like DEAD people. Dead corpses walking. And that sight in itself is a great image for horror. In my opinion, zombie movies should have zombies where the mere thought of a dead corpse walking again is enough for setting the horror tension. I accept different kinds of zombies and enjoy watching them but there is something unbelievably haunting in Fulci's zombies (I love the zombies during the end part of The Beyond too).

I think my favorite part of Fulci's zombies aside from the makeup is the fact that there seems to be zero consciousness there. Pretty much all other zombie movies give them limited intelligence, and in some cases the ability to use tools, whereas Fulci's are literally walking corpses with no signs of awareness...in many cases their eyes aren't even open or they don't even have eyes. Theyre stripped down to the most basic concept of the zombie and they're 10x more frightening because of it.

Absolutely love Romero was one reason I got into the horror genre of filmmaking specially the zombie side of it well that at return of the living dead (tar man). I know many love Dawn but I always preferred Day it’s a shame he couldn’t get the budget he wanted for it

Domisto

It's tough. I have to go with the 'which have I watched most' method.

So Day wins. I can see what peeps mean with cartoony characters at times but the overall atmosphere works so well for me. It's all too plausible that humanity could end with a bunch of arseholes arguing in a canteen. I love the opening scenes. Amazing soundtrack. The effects are masterly. I even love the arguing. The bit where the pilot talks of leaving society buried and starting over on an island always sticks with me. It speaks to the part of me that wants to burn it all down and try again. It's probably the most deeply depressing film of these four, maybe nihilistic is the right word, but still fun to watch..

In some ways Dawn has more reasons to be the best but I always find it a little too long. Starts to drag a bit before the bikers show up. It's got another great opening. I love little touches like seeing the helicopter take off while the skyscraper lights are all going out floor by floor. The TV studio stuff is fantastic. Loads of great action. Moving the trucks. The social commentary is pitched well. This one feels really epic.

Night takes third place mostly because it's a tighter more simplistic film. So it's not something I tend to watch as much or get as much out of. Great film and with a killer ending. Lots of chocolate sauce for everyone.

Land fell flat. It's just not imaginative or exciting enough. And with some very on the nose boilerplate commentary. It's an okay watch but lacks personality. It's the most Hollywood of the bunch in a bad way.

And sorry to be that guy, but Return of the Living Dead is better than all of them. At least, it's the most fun.

Airola

I think my favorite part of Fulci's zombies aside from the makeup is the fact that there seems to be zero consciousness there. Pretty much all other zombie movies give them limited intelligence, and in some cases the ability to use tools, whereas Fulci's are literally walking corpses with no signs of awareness...in many cases their eyes aren't even open or they don't even have eyes. Theyre stripped down to the most basic concept of the zombie and they're 10x more frightening because of it.

Yeah, the more zombies feel like they could be replaced by a rabid animal the less the zombie-aspect of the monsters feels relevant.

However, I do like the "zombie" in Creepshow 2 a lot. That's not a "rabid animal" either so that's a good thing, but it's not a regular dead person either. It's the idea of a dead man coming back to haunt another specific person. I've always loved that idea too.

Fulci doesn't quite manage to 100% be committed to the "they are pure walking corpses" idea himself though. The zombie vs. shark scene makes the zombie be way too agile too, and the eyeball scene I think shows a bit too much awareness from the zombie too. Good scenes though.

Airola

And sorry to be that guy, but Return of the Living Dead is better than all of them. At least, it's the most fun.

Nah, it's a good movie but it's ruined by its use of music. The title theme is awesome, but most of the time in tense situations there is some happy sounding "fun" punk song playing and it ruins the tension completely. I guarantee those scenes would be way better if they'd have the title time playing in the background, or something similar.

Domisto

Nah, it's a good movie but it's ruined by its use of music. The title theme is awesome, but most of the time in tense situations there is some happy sounding "fun" punk song playing and it ruins the tension completely. I guarantee those scenes would be way better if they'd have the title time playing in the background, or something similar.
I still listen to the soundtrack regularly. One of my favourites.

I think of Return as an MTV zombie flick, as in early 80s MTV visual overload. It's a film of excess, wildly over the top. There are tense moments but it's not as much about that for me as it is the thrills and splatter and humour. When they removed the music from the suicide sequence in a DVD release it ruined the scene IMO.

Airola

When they removed the music from the suicide sequence in a DVD release it ruined the scene IMO.

The original music on the suicide scene was the only song that was good (apart from the title track) and actually worked in the movie. That song actually made the scene better. I'm really bummed too it was taken out. I'm just talking about the songs that played during the "action" and horror scenes very often. Later in the movie the title track starts to play in those scenes too, so it gets better.

It's still one of the better zombie films regardless of the music though. I'm just sad that what could've been an amazing 5/5 movie from the beginning to the end was made worse with certain songs at certain places.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
The Zombies from Return are the scariest. The fact that you can't kill them, and they can talk and even think/organize makes them the scariest. There is no way to actually get out of the situation. Unlike Romero Zombies or even fast Zombies, at least you can shoot hold up somewhere and then shoot them in the head 1 by 1. Return Zombies there is no escape, they can plan on how to get you and you can chop em up, shoot em in the head, pretty much do anything and they will still keep coming for you.

(well until they retconned this in the 2nd one and electricity kills them....)

Domisto

The original music on the suicide scene was the only song that was good (apart from the title track) and actually worked in the movie. That song actually made the scene better. I'm really bummed too it was taken out. I'm just talking about the songs that played during the "action" and horror scenes very often. Later in the movie the title track starts to play in those scenes too, so it gets better.

It's still one of the better zombie films regardless of the music though. I'm just sad that what could've been an amazing 5/5 movie from the beginning to the end was made worse with certain songs at certain places.
That's fair enough, different tastes and all. I often place ROTLD as one of my all time fave movies so I will sing its praises at any opportunity.

dan76

It's a trilogy, all the other don't matter.

Dawn > Day > Night

I love the sense of chaos at the start of Dawn. The part I need the tenement building.... yuk! All 3 are great for different reasons. The later films have almost nothing in common with what made the trilogy great in the first place - very similar to the Lucas / Star Wars films.

Top Bottom