• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best ogg to mp3 converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Gump

Banned
Looking to convert some ogg audio files for use in my ipod. What is the best one out there? Any help is appreciated as the ones ive seen arent anything special.

Mr Gump

Banned
8bit said:
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

You might be better going ogg > wav > mp3 though. Converting compressed > compressed might not sound so good.
Ill check it out.

However i dont see how compressing a file three times will make it sound any better than compressing it two times. Converting it to wav wont improve quality or anything.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Bingo. No point at all in going through WAV as an intermediate stage - any compression artifacts from the OGG file will be present in the WAV as well. Any converter will go through some form of uncompressed version of the file anyway.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
+2 dbpowerAMP.

CDDEX is good too IIRC, but I don't use it for that.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I use them for MotoGP1 and 2 on the PC for custom soundtracks. They're no different than mp3's. Some prefer them, however IIRC they are larger in size by a bit. I'm no audiophile by any means, and struggle to tell the difference between them.

Then again, I don't think I've ever listened to them by themselves, as engine sounds accompany the music playback.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
There's plenty of info about the ogg file format at vorbis.com.

What is Ogg Vorbis?

Ogg Vorbis is a new audio compression format. It is roughly comparable to other formats used to store and play digital music, such as MP3, VQF, AAC, and other digital audio formats. It is different from these other formats because it is completely free, open, and unpatented.

Does Ogg Vorbis sound better than MP3?

Yes, definitely. Naturally, we invite you to judge this for yourself; please see our Dare to Compare page for at least some of our listening samples.

I'm a music fan. Why should I be interested?

Because Vorbis provides a high-quality format for you to listen to your music.

* For a given file size, Vorbis sounds better than MP3. This means:
o You can keep your music collection at about the same quality level, but it'll take up less space
o or you can have your music collection take up about the same amount of space, but have it sound better.
* Vorbis already enjoys widespread player support and work is underway to play Vorbis files on portable hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom