• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Radiohead Songs...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

As of now I'm only a casual Radiohead fan. A lot of people praise Radiohead as one of the best rock bands currently out. I've only heard a couple of songs, but I like what I hear. Aside from the stuff I've heard, what are their best songs?

Stuff I've heard: Creep, My Iron Lung, Pyramid Song, The Tourist, Treefingers, Fade Out, Idioteque, Inside My Head, Nice Dream.

Diablos

Zero said:
As of now I'm only a casual Radiohead fan. A lot of people praise Radiohead as one of the best rock bands currently out. I've only heard a couple of songs, but I like what I hear. Aside from the stuff I've heard, what are their best songs?

Stuff I've heard: Creep, My Iron Lung, Pyramid Song, The Tourist, Treefingers, Fade Out, Idioteque, Inside My Head, Nice Dream.

Just, The Trickster, Lewis (Mistreated), Airbag, Let Down, The National Anthem, Myxomatosis.

Jak140

Everything in its Right Place
How to Disappear Completely
Motion Picture Soundtrack
Lucky
True Love Waits
Like Spinning Plates (Live Version)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The entire OK computer cd from start to finish.

LakeEarth

catfish said:
The entire OK computer cd from start to finish.

I hated the one which is entirely 'sung' by a computer voice. Am I the only one who can't stand that one?

Otherwise though, the album is perfect.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
You mean Street Spirit?

Radiohead is one of my few consistent "favorite bands ever", but I only listen to The Bends, OKC and KidA on a regular basis. I own those and a couple singles. Some of favorite songs, and I base that at least as much on their musical quality as their lyrical quality, are, in no particular order, Paranoid Android, Subterranean Homesick Alien, Exit Music (For A Film), Let Down, Lucky, The Tourist, Fake Plastic Trees, High and Dry, Nice Dream, Street Spirit, Talkshow Host, Idioteque(sp?). I recommend you listen to Talkshow Host, because it's a "The Bends" b-side song that you might not run across without a little luck, but musically it's a fucking awesome song.

demon

LakeEarth said:
I hated the one which is entirely 'sung' by a computer voice. Am I the only one who can't stand that one?

I mostly listen to OK Computer songs individually, and in that case I never even bother with Fitter, Happier. But OKC *is* a concept album, and Fitter Happier is a big part of the theme of the album.

There was a really really good website that interpreted OK Computer (or maybe it was Radiohead songs in general, I can't remember). It was posted here several weeks before the board switch. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'll go ahead and list some really good "b side" songs:

Fog (live version)
Killer Cars
Lozenge of Love
Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong
Cuttooth (has some lyrics from Myxomatosis for some reason)
Gagging Order

Jason

Their Pablo Honey stuff is hot shit, dude.

Once you're done with that, check out...

Big Ideas
Big Boots
A Reminder
Palo Alto
I am a Wicked Child
Planet Telex
Nice Dream
Killer Cars
Maquiladora
How I Made My Millions

demon said:
I recommend you listen to Talkshow Host, because it's a "The Bends" b-side song that you might not run across without a little luck, but musically it's a fucking awesome song.

It's also on the Romeo+Juliet soundtrack.

Add to those already listed:

Bishop's Robes and Banana Co. Also b-sides, but worth tracking down.

demon

heavy liquid said:
It's also on the Romeo+Juliet soundtrack.

Add to those already listed:

Bishop's Robes and Banana Co. Also b-sides, but worth tracking down.
Yeah, but I'd much rather buy a Radiohead single than a Romeo and Juliet soundtrack. Plus if you get that single you also get Bishop's Robes, which is a decent song.

demon said:
Yeah, but I'd much rather buy a Radiohead single than a Romeo and Juliet soundtrack. Plus if you get that single you also get Bishop's Robes, which is a decent song.

No doubt. I hate soundtracks; they're so hit or miss. The R+J one is fairly decent though, with songs by Garbage, Cardigans, Gavin Friday and Stina Nordenstam. But it's all a matter of taste. Like you said, you're better off getting the single if you don't like more than one or two bands.

demon

I've heard (from someone on this board) that Talk Show Host live is amazing, and that I should hunt for an mp3 of it. Anyone know where I can find one?

Lucky
I Might Be Wrong
No Surprises
Optimistic
Paranoid Android
Polyethylene
Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box
Where I End and You Begin
Wolf at the Door
Trans-Atlantic Drawl
Everything In Its Right Place
the National Anthem
Just
the Bends
Fake Plastic Trees

Where I End And You Begin
There There
How To Disappear Completely
Idioteque
Knives Out
I Might Be Wrong
Airbag
Karma Police
Paranoid Android
Let Down
Lull
Talk Show Host (Nelee Hooper remix)
My Iron Lung
Street Spirit
Just
Fake Plastic Trees
Creep
Blowout

Pretty much what I consider the essential tracks from each album. For no particular reason I listed them in reverse chronological order.

Diablos

http://www.treefi.com/files/Radiohead - Lift.mp3

Wow, you want this song for sure. I can't believe I haven't heard this yet.

Hey Jason, remember that torrent that had the Paranoid Android demo and other stuff? Do you still have a link to the thread? Maybe someone's still seeding it. Thanks for the link to the Glastonbury bootleg, I've been wanting that for a while. Downloading at 70-80k/sec. :)

GG-Duo

Make sure you listen to every last track from their albums... there's always something amazing going on in them.

Blow Out, Street Spirit, The Tourist, Motion Picture Soundtrack, Life in a Glass House, A Wolf at the Door

Bob White

I just got Wicked Child from one of the links above and my GOD, this is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

Radiohead should just make a full country album, it would rock.

yoshifumi

Banned
LakeEarth said:

i actually really like that song

Bob White said:
Radiohead should just make a full country album, it would rock.

Ha, I agree. Make sure you download the demo of theirs, back when they were known as On A Friday. They covered "Rhinestone Cowboy" :D

demon

Litigation Manuel said:
"Fitter Happier" I believe is sung by Stephen Hawking. I saw an excerpt from a biography of him that mentioned that along with appearances on The Simpsons and Pink Floyd's "the Division Bell." And I enjoy that song to an extent, mainly because they got Stephen Hawking to "sing" it.

http://books.nap.edu/books/0309084105/html/312.html#pagetop
LOL. Sung by Steven Hawking?

No, Thom Yorke was just writing down stuff for this "song", and happened to write it in a few minutes or so, and typed it into one of those computer apps that reads out text in a robotic monotone voice (oh man did my friend and I have fun with that shit in 8th grade). Yorke found the monotone voice to have a strange emotional element to it, so I decided to go with it.

I read a direct quote of Yorke saying all this, so I believe it.

Awesome link, Karusu.

My fav Radiohead songs would be:

Planet Telex
Wolf at the Door
Let Down
High and Dry
No Surpises
Pyramid Song

The lyrics to Fitter Happier came about by a back and forth email conversation Thom had with a female fan from the internet. Then they were typed into a program on the Mac that would pronounce the words you typed. I remember doing the same thing on the Macintoshes in the computer lab at high school. They had a similar program on them, and I would type in the Fitter Happier words and play them back, lol.

I forgot to mention them earlier, but two must listen to songs are Pearly*, and Palo Alto.

demon said:
No, Thom Yorke was just writing down stuff for this "song", and happened to write it in a few minutes or so, and typed it into one of those computer apps that reads out text in a robotic monotone voice (oh man did my friend and I have fun with that shit in 8th grade). Yorke found the monotone voice to have a strange emotional element to it, so I decided to go with it.

I read a direct quote of Yorke saying all this, so I believe it.

Error Macro said:
The lyrics to Fitter Happier came about by a back and forth email conversation Thom had with a female fan from the internet. Then they were typed into a program on the Mac that would pronounce the words you typed. I remember doing the same thing on the Macintoshes in the computer lab at high school. They had a similar program on them, and I would type in the Fitter Happier words and play them back, lol.

Double damn! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom