• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best (reasonably priced) pair of headphones you can buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

I'm on the market for 2 sets of headphones. I need something that is good at keeping the outside out while I compose music and has a great reproduction of sound, particular lows and bass. While money isn't something that would hold me back, I'm looking for something that's reasonably priced (i.e I'm not paying $700 for a set of headphones regardless of how good they are).

Yep, Grado's a good recommendation especially for rock.
Beyer-Dynamic DT880 (US$260)I've heard are good for bass reproduction but can't remember if their 'closed'.
Anyway you should visit www.headfi.org, they really know their shit there.

SKluck

Banned
I like my Sony MDR-V700DJ's fine, bought em for $150 couple years back, you can find them for $100 easy. Great bass. Reversible earphones.

Phoenix

What's the difference between closed/open? So many new terms :) Basically I want something comfortable that will prevent other people from hearing my music while I can hear it full bore. Preferably they should cover the ear. Beyond that, I'm extremely flexible. They can look like big fishbowls for all I care - I'll either be in my office or studio area so I won't care :)

pixelated

Koss Pro 4AAT

B00008Z1QI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Frequency Response 10-25,000 Hz good
Cord Straight, Dual Entry, 8ft
Plug 3.5 mm/6.4 mm
Impedance 250 ohms
Weight 21.0 oz. bad, you'll get use to the weight though, but they are durable
Sensitivity 95dB SPL/1mW
Distortion <0.1%
Ear cushions closed

I use these when I make my own music

fart

Savant
Phoenix said:
What's the difference between closed/open? So many new terms :) Basically I want something comfortable that will prevent other people from hearing my music while I can hear it full bore. Preferably they should cover the ear. Beyond that, I'm extremely flexible. They can look like big fishbowls for all I care - I'll either be in my office or studio area so I won't care :)
ok what you're looking for is closed circumaural headphones. your second consideration is probably source. what do you want to attach to these headphones? past that you should think about what "kind" of sound you want out of them. i'm just guessing but if you're composing you may want a flatter response - you don't care so much that the sound is aggressive and involving so much as it's accurate?

the koss pro-4aa's are radio workhorses. bloated mid/lows but sturdy and respectable. there are better phones for the price though. (oh, but they're all open :/ the v6 isn't bad and it's about the same price. some people don't like the highs though)

Phoenix said:

Closed- refers to the fact that music does not escape the earpiece ie only you will be able to listen to music, what you want.
However they come with their own limitations.
Soundstage (the locations in which you can hear particular instruments) is reduced. I guess the best way to describe this is that the sound becomes more 'stereo' instead of 5.1.
It's a bad analogy but ehh..
Secondly, they may increase ear fatigue depending on how long you want to listen to them.
Lastly depending if you want ear canal 'phones, they will reduce the bass that can be heard BUT they will have the best insulation..so it a catch 22.

Open- the opposite to closed people will hear the music of you choice. Ie better soundstage etc.....

If you want to get complicated, there are semi-open headphones which aim to be the 'best of both worlds' but none of them are really good...I think.

fart

Savant
Fresh Prince said:
Closed- refers to the fact that music does not escape the earpiece ie only you will be able to listen to music, what you want.
However they come with their own limitations.
Soundstage (the locations in which you can hear particular instruments) is reduced. I guess the best way to describe this is that the sound becomes more 'stereo' instead of 5.1.
It's a bad analogy but ehh..
Secondly, they may increase ear fatigue depending on how long you want to listen to them.
Lastly depending if you want ear canal 'phones, they will reduce the bass that can be heard BUT they will have the best insulation..so it a catch 22.

Open- the opposite to closed people will hear the music of you choice. Ie better soundstage etc.....

If you want to get complicated, there are semi-open headphones which aim to be the 'best of both worlds' but none of them are really good...I think.
closed refers to the diaphragm being enclosed. open means the diaphragm is open to the air.

soundstage completely depends on the design of the particular phone. there are open headphones with excellent soundstage. soundstage refers to the psychoacoustic localization phenomenom (or some junk like that). we say that a headphone has great soundstage if one can pick out sounds as coming from anywhere that isn't right next to your ears.

it doesn't sound like you want canalphones so that's about that.

SKluck

Banned
Those Koss suck ass. Unless it's like 50 bucks, you are getting junk. 10-25,000 is shit, and who wants 1.5 pounds strapped to their head?

fart said:
closed refers to the diaphragm being enclosed. open means the diaphragm is open to the air.

soundstage completely depends on the design of the particular phone. there are open headphones with excellent soundstage. soundstage refers to the psychoacoustic localization phenomenom (or some junk like that). we say that a headphone has great soundstage if one can pick out sounds as coming from anywhere that isn't right next to your ears.

it doesn't sound like you want canalphones so that's about that.

Yep like I was saying but put much more intelligently...
Dammit fart why do you have to sound so smart?

Also SKluck the v700Dj aren't that great either, you would have been wiser to go for the V6/V7506 .

MDRV700DJ.jpg
MDRV700DJ.gif
MDR%20V700DJ.jpg
MDR-V700DJ-1.jpg
MDR-V700DJ.gif

The MDR-V700DJ's are the best I've ever had. I would have paid more than I did con muscho gusto, but I got them for $64 @ BEstBuy one fateful day being an open boxed item. You won't be sorry if you get them...... you'll just love them and wonder why you didn't add them to your life sooner.

v700dj01.jpg

Now you can feel like a (sorta) real DJ and have the same wonderful sound quality. I, personally, ordered the new SoundBlaster Pro w/ drive and ports so I can plug in to the front of the PC. Gooooo, me.

Phoenix

Yeah right now I'm looking at something sub $200 or thereabouts. For me I need them to be accurate and comfortable since I'd be wearing them in 10-12 hour shifts. Accuracy and range are important to me because I once composed some music (Jazzy Orchestra that was floating around here a while back) and while it was fine - when I heard it on some real good (expensive as hell) headphones at the office I started hearing all sorts of artifacts and ambient noise that I didn't even realize was in it :)

Now the V6 - are people talking about the SOny MDR-V600?

SKluck

Banned
Why do you say that? The MDR-V700s aren't good, but you recommend worse headphones with less range?

Or maybe I just see every DJ wearing them because they are stylish...

Phoenix said:
Yeah right now I'm looking at something sub $200 or thereabouts. For me I need them to be accurate and comfortable since I'd be wearing them in 10-12 hour shifts. Accuracy and range are important to me because I once composed some music (Jazzy Orchestra that was floating around here a while back) and while it was fine - when I heard it on some real good (expensive as hell) headphones at the office I started hearing all sorts of artifacts and ambient noise that I didn't even realize was in it :)

There's a difference between the Sony V6/V7506 and the Sony V600. Generally most people who do own alot of sets (I only own two sets) say that the V range is flawed ie being typical Sony style over substance matter. However the do feel that the Sony V6 which was later rebadged as the 'professional' v7506 is the diamond among the coals. They are very good for portable use, but may lack the detail you need for professional recording.

As I said before go to www.headfi.org, lurk and browse(full featured reviews)a little bit (their search always seems to be down) if you don't get what your looking for, just register and ask them, they always there trying to 'convert' people.
Also try to try-out the phones, ultimately headphones are fairly subjective, your ears will always tell you what 'feels' best. All we can tell you is what models have been recommended to us.

SKluck:
Range (as fart could probably attest to) is not everything. Rarely will a piece of music be that wide defining. Normally for personal use, you would like some coloration ( for your particular style of music) with a nice amount of soundstage and detail.
Many Dj's probably get the V700's because:
a) They are probably widley available, the v6 is particularly hard to find....
b) Are probably the second best headphone from the V range. Which isn't bad but for the price you got them for you could of got better.

Ahh maybe I thought you deserved some of your own shit that you served to pixel :p

fart

Savant
Phoenix said:

no the mdr-v600 aren't the same as the mdr-v6 (i know, rolleyes sony :/). the v600s are pretty famous for being terrible sounding. the v6 aka sony 7506 (professional model #) are good closed studio monitors, huge bass, shrill highs, midbass hump but it's not too bad. i can attest to them being great for video work as they're built like a tank, and you can get a good seal, but they're slightly supraaural if your ears are big. 70-100$ (69.99$ at fry's iirc, slightly cheaper on the web)

for 200$ and your choice of music, you're going to be in the high end closed studio headphones - beyerdynamic, AKG, etc. i don't have a lot of experience with these. your best bet is to ask at head-fi. take the advice with a grain of salt though, there are some recording engineers there, but it's mostly audiophiles, a good 20-30% of which are complete loonies.

what you probably want is a large, closed circumaural with good isolation and high detail with as little coloration as possible. if you were ok with open headphones (little to no isolation) i would suggest the sennheiser HD580 which is almost exactly what you want, but open, paired with a small amplifier. the upside to going closed is that you probably won't need the amplifier. the downside is that it tends to be much harder to find a flat, uninvolving closed headphone because enclosing the diaphragm makes it harder to reduce distortions from the headphone housing for physical reasons that are really beyond me (reflections in the enclosure or something i guess)

i will say that i've heard very good things about beyerdynamic and AKG's high end closed headphones.

in addition to http://www.head-fi.org/, here are two vendor websites you might find helpful http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/ and http://www.headphone.com

one last thing to keep in mind: the margins in high end audio are very large. this is both good and bad. on the down side, prices are high, but on the upside, there is some very good service to be found. the perk you might want to look into is the mostly standard 30-day in-home "audition" you can get, basically a 30 day moneyback guarantee. so pick a phone, live with it for a month and if it doesn't suit you, you're only out cost of shipping. in a 200+$ purchase this could be a lifesaver.

hope that helps. good luck finding the right headphone!

ETA: here's headroom's suggestions page for full size closed: http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=13&subTopicID=71

i always forget about the HD280. some people swear by it over the V6 because of the V6's shrill highs. i steered away from it when i was looking for a closed phone because it's not quite the tank the V6's are.

Ill Saint

Man, do yourself a favour and look at Sennheiser at least.
Beyerdynamic, AKG are excellent recommendations, but I believe Sennheiser should be what you're looking for. Stay away from Sony for the most part.

fart

Savant
Ill Saint said:
Man, do yourself a favour and look at Sennheiser at least.
Beyerdynamic, AKG are excellent recommendations, but I believe Sennheiser should be what you're looking for. Stay away from Sony for the most part.
sennheiser is famous for their open headphones

Actually considering you're getting two headphones, you probably could afford both an 'open' and 'closed' headphone.
A nice open 'phone such as the Sennheiser HD-580 or even Sony CD-3000, which are both supposed to have a flat frequency response, highly detailed with a great soundstage, which you probably need for a jazz orchestra.
As well as a closed, less detailed phone such as a AKG, Beyer or something like that...

Take into account I've never been a studio so you probably might really want two closed cans after all :)

Also beware of 'burning-in', there should be a faq on what it is on head-fi. I know it sounds like a load of shit, but after owning three pairs of different headphones myself it does make a difference.

Gibbo

I've been using the Philips HP 1000 for about a year now ; extremely satisfied with is so far. Should not cost you more than $ 80 US

Phoenix

Thanks for all the advice guys. Now I just need to find a place where I can listen to all of the headphones that have been 'broken in'. Anyone have any recommendations for where I would find Grados Sennheisers and AKGs in the wild ready to be tested?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>i'm just guessing but if you're composing you may want a flatter response - you don't care so much that the sound is aggressive and involving so much as it's accurate?<<<

The Etymotic ER-4S and ER-4P are almost totally isolating and are flat as can be. They're also expensive, but not $700 expensive) There's a cheaper model called the ER-6, but I'm not sure how close it is to its big brothers.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Get a pair of Sennheisers, don't look back.

fart said:
sennheiser is famous for their open headphones

They make some closed pairs. I got one of their lower-end, open ones for practical reasons. I like my shit loud, but I also need to hear train/plane announcements. In those particular cases, I don't *want* outside noises to be isolated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom