• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best sounding PC game?

Akuji

Hi,
with the PS5 Pro price being pretty high, iam thinking about just buying a new GPU and no Pro ( GPU Upgrade was always a 100% thing )
But now iam thinking about not buying the pro. the thing is, Returnal in my home theatre is just so inanely good when it comes to sound. Nothing comes even remotely close.
I tried returnal on PC and couldnt get the Dolby Atmos output of the game working, is that possible? maybe when i buy the Dolby Atmos lisence in windows?

Or does returnal on PC just use the easier sound? Also are there any games like Returnal on PS5 in terms of Sound quality? I played alot on PC but never did find a game that sounds like ehat. If Returnal is a 10, no game even gets a 3.
Only problem is, playing on a projector screen for long times, doesnt really do it for me. Thats why iam planning on building me a gaming station with a sick ass sound system as well.
( DIY speaker builder to the rescue )

Hope you guys can give input on hot to get the Dolby Atmos in games working in windows and not only the format working but give me games to test for audio quality.
Iam a Audio guy, that is what i want. The expirience for Returnal, i have had every friend of mine in the seat and play. You hear everything, the sound of the enemies and you locate them so easily. Its even better then any headphone audio ive ever had for location.
not even close ( and i have pretty decent headphones + DAC + headphone amp )

Because if i cant get that level of sound quality, nothing else matters really and i have to bite.

Last edited:
Windows has Dolby Atmos support, you might not have had it configured correctly in your audio driver. At the very least you should be able to do a passthrough to your receiver via HDMI

Akuji

I did the Dolby Atmos passthrough when i watched movies through my laptop.
But when i played returnal on PC, i didnt get the Dolby Atmos Signal to my Audio-Processor.

If returnal on PC even puts out Dolby Atmos Signals?
Checked some YT Videos, they just seem to talk about the Headphone performance, which i in comparison to the Sound i get out of the PS5 version is ... well, might be a SNES soundchip as well.
The depth is completly gone, details are gone, dynamic is gone.

here it seems like there should be an option? Maybe i just do a fresh install, the newest version and test again. Its been a while, havent retested it.
Now that i think of it, Dolby Atmos is pretty new for PS5 games as well, maybe it wasnt even a thing when i played Returnal on PC, might be an old version ive tried.

Last edited:
Top Bottom