• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond3D closes down - (Up: it's back open and owner cites toxic behaviour as most prominent reason)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/the-closure-of-beyond3d.63478/#post-2326598

It's been a hell of a ride. It has reached a stopping point for many reasons, a small part also related to lack of resources to properly maintain. The most prominent reason being the toxic behavior exhibited by so many, where the behavior has not changed in the least and actually gotten worse over the past year.

I do appreciate everyone who has ever put so much into the site, with their time, effort, devotion, and passion over the years. It wouldn't have been possible without them.

Beyond3D is now closed.

bitbydeath

images

Hudo

When 4chan's /g/ can exist and produce reasonable discussions (from time to time), then closing Beyond3D due to "toxic behavior" is a bit hardcore. What was that toxic behavior anyway? 4090 owners calling others to stop being poor and buy a 4090?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well that is interesting.

Reading that forum during the lead up and after the launch of the PS5, Series consoles was...something.

Some good info was posted but....yeah...

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
When 4chan's /g/ can exist and produce reasonable discussions (from time to time), then closing Beyond3D due to "toxic behavior" is a bit hardcore. What was that toxic behavior anyway? 4090 owners calling others to stop being poor and buy a 4090?

I mean, wouldn't that be considered as "toxic" Hudo ?

"LOLOLOL YOU P00R HAHJjaja" can't be considered/categorized as proper discussion, right ?

Toxic doesn't necessarily mean ad hominem attacks, personal threats and whatnot, even a continuous back and worth and general pettiness can be considered as such - pretty much like what we have in here on a daily basis by some of the regulars (but not only ) with the constant puns, constant back and forth, warz lists/shit, name calling ("clown"/"idiot"/"fucktard"), laughing emoji spam etc etc...

I wish we could all get along , alas, this is the internet we're talking about so...

Hudo

I mean, wouldn't that be considered as "toxic" Hudo ?

"LOLOLOL YOU P00R HAHJjaja" can't be considered/categorized as proper discussion, right ?

Toxic doesn't necessarily mean ad hominem attacks, personal threats and whatnot, even a continuous back and worth and general pettiness can be considered as such - pretty much like what we have in here on a daily basis by some of the regulars (but not only ) with the constant puns, constant back and forth, warz lists/shit, name calling ("clown"/"idiot"/"fucktard"), laughing emoji spam etc etc...

I wish we could all get along , alas, this is the internet we're talking about so...
I mean, if you're on any platform for discussion on the internet, you're bound to encounter the stuff you've just listed. It's not ideal but it is what it is. Humans just are like that.

The best thing you can do is to try to just not be triggered by most of the usual bullshit*. And you just smite the fools with the mighty ban hammer in cases where "lines are crossed" (as per forum TOS). One of GAF's best features is the highscore list.

*incidentally, Twitter's/X's business model is to be a haven for people who are easily offended.

winjer

Gold Member
Forums have always been places of public discussion, were people disagree. Even in their form as a physical place in ancient Rome and Greece.
The disagreement is just part of natural human discourse, and in the right moderation, it can be very productive. And it's the foundation of free, democratic systems.
The opposite is very bad, as it creates eco-chambers, with the same ideas, no advancement and where different opinions are suppressed. Like in authoritarian regimes.

The problem, is when people resort to insults, personal attacks, lying and manipulation.
Moderating a good forum is a balancing act. But it's also a lot of work, so I can bet it strains a moderation team.
I bet the people at Beyond3D just got tired and fed up of the constant fighting and trolling.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I used to go there(2012-14?) for some more in depth tech discussions, but I found it lacking in members so you'd end up talking with the same people repeatedly or with new members that have NFI what they are talking about, why go there when I can get that on gaf? 🤣

I'm surprised they had as much issue with that as they suggest. It's always been a place for the very technically minded, professional types. I've always gravitated towards the more gamer centric forums and never posted there.

Fake

Gold Member
Toxic became the ultimate shield for counter critic.

Yeah, lets not pretend reddit, discord and other places don't display toxic.

BTW folks doing loads of dark stuff on Discord because their conversation, unlike in a forum, are hidden from public.

Last edited:

Saber

Poor Alex Retardalia, no longer will have another place to cry...
Well, theres aways Twitter. And we all know how positive and safe Twitter is. And if anything he can still cry on his videos.

Portugeezer

a small part also related to lack of resources to properly maintain

Main reason is the toxicity. Got it.

hmm-thinking.gif

Anyway, it was a good site for pixel counting when it was a new trend then digital foundry started doing it. I know hardcore computer nerds used it to discuss new graphics tech, so sucks for them.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Disappointing. They have had a lot of excellent tech threads there. Basically DF before there was DF.

intbal

I read Beyond3D a lot in the PS3-360 era, it was really great. Sad to see it got taken over by fanboy and console wars after that.
That really only started in 2021. The culprits were obvious if you were a regular visitor.

I was one of the first members of the forum. Twenty-one years.
Never achieved enough posts to become a forum "Veteran" though.
Lots of good material there. I hope it stays up.

A real shame. Had many many years of real informative engagement on that site with some excellent people. Learned so much about lithography, semiconductors and the technologies that drive the hobby that we love.

Too bad, so many toxic wankers joined the site and ruined it.

Top Bottom